• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket invented in Belgium....

Craig

World Traveller
And colonizing vats chunks of Continent and trying to deny it :ranting:
Pardon my ignorance, I assume you mean Africa and what countries were made colonies of Belgium? I knew the French got into a large chunck of Africa, in the same way the Spanish went into Central and South America?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Belgian Congo for one.

Appalling treatment of the locals there (nothing unusual about that I suppose) basically becaus ethe King of Belgium wanted an empire like everyone else.

Steulen

International Regular
Belgian Congo for one.

Appalling treatment of the locals there (nothing unusual about that I suppose) basically becaus ethe King of Belgium wanted an empire like everyone else.
Yep. The Belgians were a bunch of ***** in Africa even by colonial standards.

Craig

World Traveller
Yep. The Belgians were a bunch of ***** in Africa even by colonial standards.
Ah yes of course. I understood that the Portugese were the worst of the lot in Africa, especially when they sent the locals off to work in Brazil as slaves to Portugese migraints. The conditions were so bad to say that inhumane or horrible would be an understatement. I'm surprised any of them lasted their enforced trip over.

Anyway I have a question for you Steulen, isn't Flemish a watered down version of Dutch?

Steulen

International Regular
Ah yes of course. I understood that the Portugese were the worst of the lot in Africa, especially when they sent the locals off to work in Brazil as slaves to Portugese migraints. The conditions were so bad to say that inhumane or horrible would be an understatement. I'm surprised any of them lasted their enforced trip over.

Anyway I have a question for you Steulen, isn't Flemish a watered down version of Dutch?
The official language of Flanders is Dutch. Flemish is not a language, it is basically the local Dutch dialect. Because I'm originally from just north of the border, I can understand Flemish pretty well because it is similar to the Dtuch dialect (Brabants) I grew up speaking. Having said that, West Flemish is impossible to understand, I can honestly say I would understand Russian better than what the good folk from Ghent speak.

What I like about Flemish is that they are very pure in their Dutch; they have to be because it protects their identity from the evil French-speaking Wallons south of the infamous Belgian language border. So where the Dutch seize every opportunity to replace a perfectly good Dutch word with an improperly used English expression, the Flemish have the most wonderfully original Dutch expressions instead.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The official language of Flanders is Dutch. Flemish is not a language, it is basically the local Dutch dialect. Because I'm originally from just north of the border, I can understand Flemish pretty well because it is similar to the Dtuch dialect (Brabants) I grew up speaking. Having said that, West Flemish is impossible to understand, I can honestly say I would understand Russian better than what the good folk from Ghent speak.

What I like about Flemish is that they are very pure in their Dutch; they have to be because it protects their identity from the evil French-speaking Wallons south of the infamous Belgian language border. So where the Dutch seize every opportunity to replace a perfectly good Dutch word with an improperly used English expression, the Flemish have the most wonderfully original Dutch expressions instead.
Meh, it's all just less advanced Afrikaans

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
A historical fact I feel I should point out is that the Belgian Congo wasn't the property of the Belgian state but entirely the private property of the Belgian king whose name escapes me at the moment.