Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Tier Test Championship?

Hexxagon Champion!

Two Tier Test Championship?

Two Tier Test Championship?....Ehsaan Mani agrees ...Whether rest of ICC agrees is a different matter...

Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Pinball Champion!
    Two tier test championship? Yes please!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    No chance - there's 1 good side, 2 really crap, and the rest are fairly even - so how do you split them?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

And also that would create a new standard of cricket. You have FC cricket and Test matches. Everything in the history of the game (well over 100 years) has been measured as such. What do you call the new level? Does the second tier become 'B' Tests? Or the first tier 'Premier' Tests?

It just wouldn't work.

You have Test matches, and everything else below that. No need to have two tiers of test cricket.
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    I think it could work. 8 teams in 2 divisions with a relegation system. All one day games and tests played in first division would be the full thing while matches played in second division would be first class and list a one day matches.

How does that sound.

Tim
    I think what they're talking about is:

Aus, S.A, NZ, S.L, Eng, Ind, Pak, Zim, W.I in 1st division

2nd Division: Bangladesh, Kenya, Canada, Namibia, Scotland, Holland etc

Theres no way they'd divide the top 8 international teams up, that would be ridiculous.

There's not the money or infrastructure for those smaller sides to be going round the world playing each other in all honesty.

State 12th Man
    If this means we wont have to watch these '2nd tier' teams in the WC, I am all for it.

Tim
    Lets face it..Cricket will never grow if we only ever have 8 competitive countries. And I think every1 would agree that we'd like to see more countries playing rather than the same teams over & over again.

I think the ICC need to look beyond the fact that a 2nd tier competition would not be a money-spinner but I think they should target 6 or 7 nations who realistically have the resources to eventually produce a competitive team.

And I think that the top countries in cricket need to support this by sending players to these countries & help with coaching or at least give players a really good insight into the rules of cricket.

Lets not forget that in a place like Canada there are alot of Indians, Englishmen, Australians etc who have adopted Canada as their home & to get coaching from players like Mark Waugh, Ravi Shastri or whoever it doesn't matter..it would be a dream come true and with the skills they can learn they might committ themselves a bit more to cricket.
    Last edited by Tim; 27-06-2003 at 01:29 AM.

Hexxagon Champion!
    I think world cricket really needs 2 tiers...top 8 teams playing test cricket and another 8 teams or so playing 5 day first class matches....
    As the number of teams keep increasing,the frequency at which the top teams play each other will only keep increasing. Imagine if Australia plays England only every 6-7 years due to committments to play teams like Bangladesh ( and Kenya and others in ther future,considering ICC's plans for involvign more international teams in cricket)..
    Indeed future players will have to play more weaker teams which will only result in skewing of career records.....there may be future Australian players who will end up playing traditional foes like England only once in their careers even if they play for 10 years.This is not far-fetched as the ICC will insist on stronger teams playing all weaker teams as they are added to the test playing club.
    We would atleast have competitive matches between the weaker teams in their tier...there could be promotions and relegations to reward top performers in the bottom tier.

By the way, how come Bangladesh get a full tour of Australia before Zimbabwe who have not played a single test in Australia since they were admitted in 1992?!!
    Last edited by Deja moo; 29-06-2003 at 11:07 PM.

State 12th Man
    By the way, how come Bangladesh get a full tour of Australia before Zimbabwe who have not played a single test in Australia since they were admitted in 1992?!!
    Wow! thats interesting, I didnt know that.

BTW, whats with the big pic of George on ur signature. You know you could make it a bit smaller

I think it's abit of an exaggeration to suggest England will only meet Australia every 10 years. At the moment it's every 2 (on average), and is unlikely to change much for some time.....

Pinball Champion!
    I think its farcical that England have to go to Australia so much, and Zimbabwe have never been!?

That isnt fair , especially when you are playing in a tabled championship... Its like picking a certain team in the premiership to play against Arsenal 6 times a season instead of playing someone else

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by royGilchrist
    BTW, whats with the big pic of George on ur signature. You know you could make it a bit smaller
    Or you could have spared us by leaving out the pic completely. :P
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Originally posted by royGilchrist
    If this means we wont have to watch these '2nd tier' teams in the WC, I am all for it.
    Kenya would be in the "2nd tier"...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information