Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 281

Thread: What if?...

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rolling right Inuit
    Posts
    8,834

    What if?...

    I thought I'd pick up the suggestion made by archie mac elsewhere and start a thread on cricketing "what ifs".

    There are various ways of doing this but I suggest each poster answers the "what if" and then posts their own. Answers can be as long or as short as you want.

    So to get us started:

    What if Ashley Giles held onto the catch offered by Ricky Ponting at Adelaide in the 2006/7 Ashes?

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,358
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post

    What if Ashley Giles held onto the catch offered by Ricky Ponting at Adelaide in the 2006/7 Ashes?
    It would probably not have been 5-0 at the end of the series but Australia would still have won 4

    What if we'd had referrals in 2005 and Australia still had one when Jones caught Kasper at Edgbaston on that sunny sunday morning?

  3. #3
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,648
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    It would probably not have been 5-0 at the end of the series but Australia would still have won 4

    What if we'd had referrals in 2005 and Australia still had one when Jones caught Kasper at Edgbaston on that sunny sunday morning?

    Daryl Harper would have given him out.


    What if WG Grace had never been born?

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    23,053
    It doesn't bear thinking about.

    What if Murali had been permanently banned for chucking?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.


  5. #5
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It doesn't bear thinking about.

    What if Murali had been permanently banned for chucking?
    One less cricketer to suffer fruitless dissection on cricket forums.

    What if English counties had had a no-overseas-players rule in place since inception?

  6. #6
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,308
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    One less cricketer to suffer fruitless dissection on cricket forums.

    What if English counties had had a no-overseas-players rule in place since inception?
    Mike Hussey's first class average would be under 40.

    What if South Africa had never been banned from international sport?
    Cricketweb Colts Captain



    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

    I'm Green

    The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

  7. #7
    State Captain Chubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Mike Hussey's first class average would be under 40.

    What if South Africa had never been banned from international sport?
    They would have challenged the West Indies more than any other team in that period- with the added political spice that would ensue. People wouldn't lose parts or all of their career going on rebel tours. The despicable regime in SA might have lasted longer- difficult to prove that idea. Loads of implications, some on the pitch and some off it.

    What if Zimbabwe got test status in 1985?
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

  8. #8
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Mike Hussey's first class average would be under 40.
    Nope.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  9. #9
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,113
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Nope.
    Take out his tests as well.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

  10. #10
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Mike Hussey's first class average would be under 40.

    What if South Africa had never been banned from international sport?
    World sport would have witnessed a split depending on the countries' stance on apartheid. Would be interesting to figure out which cricketing nations would have maintained ties with SA despite apartheid. Either way, the SA cricketing greats would have had their international records questioned.

    What if Lara and Chanders were born 15 years earlier, and Marshall and Ambrose 15 years later?

  11. #11
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,648
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    World sport would have witnessed a split depending on the countries' stance on apartheid. Would be interesting to figure out which cricketing nations would have maintained ties with SA despite apartheid. Either way, the SA cricketing greats would have had their international records questioned.

    What if Lara and Chanders were born 15 years earlier, and Marshall and Ambrose 15 years later?

    You're supposed to answer the previous question, not a random one of your choice.

  12. #12
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Take out his tests as well.
    Still not.

  13. #13
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,308
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    World sport would have witnessed a split depending on the countries' stance on apartheid. Would be interesting to figure out which cricketing nations would have maintained ties with SA despite apartheid. Either way, the SA cricketing greats would have had their international records questioned.

    What if Lara and Chanders were born 15 years earlier, and Marshall and Ambrose 15 years later?
    Lara and Chaders would probably average 5 or 6 less than they did/do as tracks were more conducive to bowling then they are now. Marshal and Ambrose might have bucked the trend, but with tracks the way they are today might not have been as successful. Obviously an individual view, and all 4 players are class acts, but think the state of pitches would have had affected their careers in some way.

  14. #14
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Colonies
    Posts
    42,647
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Still not.
    Yeah, he averages 42 for WA.
    ~ Cribbage

  15. #15
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    You're supposed to answer the previous question, not a random one of your choice.
    I did answer the last question at the time. Took me that long to type it out

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •