• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What if?...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He'd have got picked and dropped incessantly and retired with a Test average of 27 from 52 Tests.

What if Kerry Packer had picked rugby league first?

Mike Brearley would never have captained England and been so overrated for his achievements.

What if Fred Goodall had never taken up umpiring?

archie mac

International Coach
England would have had a kick ass opener for the period of his career, and the Windies would have been quite a bit closer to the field - still would have been number one however.

What if the BCCI's appeal against Harbhajan's suspension for racial abuse had failed in 2008?
Scary thought:-O

I would like to think they would have copped it on the chin, but I think they may have packed up and left:ph34r:

One for the oldies (surprise, surprise), what if Benaud would have put Meckiff on at the other end after he had been repeatedly called for chucking?

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think Archie's question is the last unanswered one.

Meckiff AND Benaud would never have played for Australia again. Bradman, one suspects, didn't roll that way. We may well have had a threatened walk off - you'd suspect the other umpire might have called him as well.

What if Oldfield had been killed by the blow to the skull he took during Bodyline?

archie mac

International Coach
He'd have got picked and dropped incessantly and retired with a Test average of 27 from 52 Tests.

What if Kerry Packer had picked rugby league first?
Not sure there was enough interest, with only NZ, Aust and England worth worrying about, but if the result was anything like the super league troubles we had here in Aust. then it would have been a killer for RL for a number of seasons

archie mac

International Coach
I think Archie's question is the last unanswered one.

Meckiff AND Benaud would never have played for Australia again. Bradman, one suspects, didn't roll that way. We may well have had a threatened walk off - you'd suspect the other umpire might have called him as well.

What if Oldfield had been killed by the blow to the skull he took during Bodyline?
I like that one:cool:

Republic:ph34r:

I think the rest of the series would have been stopped and Larwood would have never come to Australia:)

What if Warne would have copped a two year ban instead of one for taking drugs?

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
I like that one:cool:

Republic:ph34r:

I think the rest of the series would have been stopped and Larwood would have never come to Australia:)

What if Warne would have copped a two year ban instead of one for taking drugs?
Would probs have just come back a year later.

What if Archie Jackson hadn't died at 23 of tuberculosis?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Would Warnie have then missed the 05 Ashes?

Jackson would have joined the patheon in around the same rank as McCabe IMO.

What if Ponting had opted to bat after McGrath rolled his ankle in that Ashes series.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would probs have just come back a year later.

What if Archie Jackson hadn't died at 23 of tuberculosis?
Bodyline would never have happened as Jackson would have matched McCabe in the first test and as a tactic it would have been still born

What if Bradman had been given out caught by Ikin in 46/47?

Chubb

International Regular
Bodyline would never have happened as Jackson would have matched McCabe in the first test and as a tactic it would have been still born

What if Bradman had been given out caught by Ikin in 46/47?
That was done in TWC once- Bradman retires, England win the Ashes but become known for "grinding" results. Cricket begins to wither as the "grinders" dominate the world until the 1960s West Indians revive interest in the the sport by defeating them in a thrilling calypso style. Bradman's average is not memorised by everyone and anyone born in Australia either.

What if Frank Worrell had not been made captain of the West Indies in 1960 and the white captaincy continued?

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
The 1960-61 tied test sries wouldn't of been as exciting and cricket remains a dull and dreary sport until the Chappells and Greig revitalise it in the 70's.

What if New Zealand had become part of a federated Australasia in 1901 (How would cricket history be affected?)?

Chubb

International Regular
The 1960-61 tied test sries wouldn't of been as exciting and cricket remains a dull and dreary sport until the Chappells and Greig revitalise it in the 70's.
I actually think people might have died... it was that divisive. Maybe the Windies wouldn't play cricket anymore- the majority would have been turned off the sport.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Grimmett and Hadlee would be the only two men from NZ to have played test cricket. :p

What if Symonds had punched Harby, based on what he thought he had heard?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Grimmett and Hadlee would be the only two men from NZ to have played test cricket. :p

What if Symonds had punched Harby, based on what he thought he had heard?
On field punch - life ban probably
Off field - temporary ban

Michaelf7777777's unanswered question:

What if New Zealand had become part of a federated Australasia in 1901 (How would cricket history be affected?)?