• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English test centurions currently playing

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
When Bopara reached 3 figures yesterday, especially with Ambrose at the other end, it made me think there are a heck of a lot of current players who have made test hundreds for England. A quick think got me as many as 17, which doesn't include the recently retired Hick or occasional 2020 player Chris Lewis. In case anyone's interested in having a go at listing them, I won't yet.

I did also wonder if we've ever had that many before.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Off the top of my head I can only get 14, which is still a considerable number! No idea whether 17 would be a particularly high figure or not. Would love to know the details about some of the other countries ATM. Would imagine, Australia have quite a small number (due to the lack of batsmen who have played over the past 10 years), but not sure about any of the others.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Off the top of my head I can only get 14, which is still a considerable number! No idea whether 17 would be a particularly high figure or not. Would love to know the details about some of the other countries ATM. Would imagine, Australia have quite a small number (due to the lack of batsmen who have played over the past 10 years), but not sure about any of the others.
Would you like to list your 14?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Let's have a stab:

Strauss
Cook
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bopara
Ambrose
Flintoff
Prior
Vaughan
Bell
G Jones
Butcher
Ramprakash
Trescothick
Crawley
Craig White (? I think)

Sixteen. Bah. Probably missed someone obvious. & there's Tudor who Thorpey cruelly left high & dry on 99*.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ramprakash
Pietersen
Flintoff
Prior
Ambrose
G Jones
Strauss
Cook
Collingwood
Bell-end
Bopara
Butcher

That's 12 off the top of my head. Hmmm...

Trecothick! 13.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Bopara
Prior
Jones
Ambrose
Ramprakash
Butcher
Vaughan... 13

+ White, Trescothick and Crawley - 16

+ Eoin Joyce and Ali Brown in ODIs

ozone

First Class Debutant
I had missed White and Crawley from my original list, although I also thought of Tudor while going through.

Since my first post, I added Crawley, and also Rob Key.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Let's have a stab:

Strauss
Cook
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bopara
Ambrose
Flintoff
Prior
Vaughan
Bell
G Jones
Butcher
Ramprakash
Trescothick
Crawley
Craig White (? I think)

Sixteen. Bah. Probably missed someone obvious. & there's Tudor who Thorpey cruelly left high & dry on 99*.
pd good. Rob Key was the other one on my list. I think you're OK with Craig White unless he retired at the end of last season - he made a 100 in India during the 2002 series IIRC.

Going back to my other question, it isn't the highest number we've ever had. When Woolmer reached 3 figures at the Oval in 1975 that took us to at least 19, although 2 of those retired at the end of that season.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
My attempt. ??? is one's I'm unsure of.

Bopara
Ambrose
Strauss
Cook
Pietersen
Shah
Trescothick
Vaughan
Bell
Prior
Collingwood
Flintoff
Key
Read [???]
Ramprakash
Crawley [???]
Foster [???]
Butcher [???]

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, i thought you must be blurring him with Eoin Morgan, the next player to be unashamedly kidnapped for cricketing reasons :ph34r:.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My attempt. ??? is one's I'm unsure of.

Bopara
Ambrose
Strauss
Cook
Pietersen
Shah
Trescothick
Vaughan
Bell
Prior
Collingwood
Flintoff
Key
Read [???]
Ramprakash
Crawley [???]
Foster [???]
Butcher [???]
Shah hasn't made a test hundred. Nor have Read or Foster.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, Fat Bob seems the forgotten man. Neil missed him out too! You'd have thought he'd be hard to miss... :ph34r:
I simply assumed you & Neil were using Richard's first-chance approach - I'm sure Key was dropped quite early in his 200.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I simply assumed you & Neil were using Richard's first-chance approach - I'm sure Key was dropped quite early in his 200.
:laugh:

Reckon that'd exclude Ravi too after Ramdin's case of the dropsy yesterday.

Be interesting to do the same for test 5-fors, reckon there must be similar number with one still on the county circuit.