Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Bowlers who became batsmen

  1. #61
    School Boy/Girl Captain steve132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Not true for Sobers.

    In his very second first class game he batted at number four. Above him were the openers and Weekes and Walcott. He was a child at 17.

    He scored his first FC hundred in just his fifth game batting at number four.
    Some minor qualifications. Sobers was picked originally for both Barbados and the West Indies as a slow left arm bowler, although his talent as a batsman was always recognized. He had a most unusual career trajectory. After his initial selection he was regarded as a batsman who bowled occasionally rather than as an all rounder. The Sobers of c.1960 was described as the world's greatest batsman, not the greatest all rounder.

    Sobers was recognized as a true all rounder when he became a fast medium bowler around the time of the 1960-61 W.I. tour of Australia. A year or so later he added chinamen and googlies to his repertoire. Virtually all of his achievements as a true all rounder occurred from this period onwards.

    Frank Worrell is a much better example. He was initially a slow left arm bowler before he became a great batsman..

  2. #62
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Tetris Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the heart of India
    Posts
    86
    Some more examples -

    Virender Sehwag - Played in the u-19 World cup in 1998 for India as a off-spinner

    Sanath Jayasurya - Came into the Sri Lankan team as a Left-arm spinner

    Yousuf Pathan - Was a off-spinner who could bat a bit till as recently as last year before the IPL, but now he is the other way round with his bowling not looking anything special

    Irfan Pathan & Mitchell Johnson could join this list soon

  3. #63
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by steve132 View Post
    Some minor qualifications. Sobers was picked originally for both Barbados and the West Indies as a slow left arm bowler, although his talent as a batsman was always recognized. He had a most unusual career trajectory. After his initial selection he was regarded as a batsman who bowled occasionally rather than as an all rounder. The Sobers of c.1960 was described as the world's greatest batsman, not the greatest all rounder.

    Sobers was recognized as a true all rounder when he became a fast medium bowler around the time of the 1960-61 W.I. tour of Australia. A year or so later he added chinamen and googlies to his repertoire. Virtually all of his achievements as a true all rounder occurred from this period onwards.

    Frank Worrell is a much better example. He was initially a slow left arm bowler before he became a great batsman..
    WoW, never knew about Worrell. Knew he was a bowler of not-completely-inconsiderable ability, but never knew he only became a batsman late in life.

    What sort of age are we talking about?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  4. #64
    School Boy/Girl Captain steve132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    WoW, never knew about Worrell. Knew he was a bowler of not-completely-inconsiderable ability, but never knew he only became a batsman late in life.

    What sort of age are we talking about?
    This was very early in his career. He scored a triple century for Barbados at the age of nineteen. That innings would have provided more than a hint of his talents to the most obtuse of selectors.


  5. #65
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by indian_legend View Post
    Irfan Pathan & Mitchell Johnson could join this list soon
    And Stuart Broad (although at school he was basically a batsman).

  6. #66
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Jose CA
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Pakistan batsman Majid Khan was originally a fast bowler (and was accused of chucking his bouncer) until he got an injury. He then became a top class batsman, though his achievement didn't match his ability.
    Read somewhere that Majid Khan and Asif Iqbal both debuted together as bowlers and both ended up being batsmen.

  7. #67
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Mike Hussey was a leggie when he first went to the Academy...
    The way he's going ATM, he should re-visit it.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  8. #68
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    BANGALORE
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by jeevan View Post
    Read somewhere that Majid Khan and Asif Iqbal both debuted together as bowlers and both ended up being batsmen.
    Quite right - Majid khan and Asif iqbal shared the new ball on their test debut against Aus in 1964 in Karachi - and batted at nos 8 and 10 respectively.

    Ravis Shastri flown out to Wellington on an SOS to cover for the injured Dilip Doshi and Yadav played as a specialist spinner and batted at Nos 10 - rest is history

  9. #69
    International 12th Man Slifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,612
    Quote Originally Posted by steve132 View Post
    Some minor qualifications. Sobers was picked originally for both Barbados and the West Indies as a slow left arm bowler, although his talent as a batsman was always recognized. He had a most unusual career trajectory. After his initial selection he was regarded as a batsman who bowled occasionally rather than as an all rounder. The Sobers of c.1960 was described as the world's greatest batsman, not the greatest all rounder.

    Sobers was recognized as a true all rounder when he became a fast medium bowler around the time of the 1960-61 W.I. tour of Australia. A year or so later he added chinamen and googlies to his repertoire. Virtually all of his achievements as a true all rounder occurred from this period onwards.

    Frank Worrell is a much better example. He was initially a slow left arm bowler before he became a great batsman..
    Spot on
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pakistan's top 10 bowlers.....ever
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
  2. Opening batsmen for Pre Packer World XI
    By bagapath in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 01:04 AM
  3. Replies: 247
    Last Post: 16-02-2009, 01:04 PM
  4. Frontline bowlers in T20
    By Arjun in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13-02-2009, 09:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •