Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bowlers who became batsmen

gwo
    U19 Debutant
    I think the winner here is Glenn McGrath. Was a batsman back when he was a country boy iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by gwo View Post
    I think the winner here is Glenn McGrath. Was a batsman back when he was a country boy iirc.
    Well, as the thread title is 'Bowler who became a batsman', McGrath possibly isn't the best example.
    There's only one Dimitri Mascarenhas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It's surely a piss take that in the country who gave us Robert Nesta Marley, King Tubby & Jimmy Cliff that we're tortured with Chumba-fuggin'-Wamba between overs?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Second example of the wrong way around, and we've only had 30-odd posts.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    If memory serves Mr Z didn't John Snow end up opening the batting for Sussex in the old Sunday League?

Micky Stewart certainly seems to think so. Apparently Surrey promoting Arthur McIntyre and Sussex Snow was very common.

He mentioned this to illustrate that the idea of the "pinch-hitter" certainly wasn't invented by Mark Greatbatch or Sanath Jayasyuriya \ Romesh Kaluwitharana.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah Malik batted way down at eight and nine (might possibly even have had an innings or two at ten). Not sure if he always had the batting ability and was just being wasted, or whether his one-day batting (never rated him that much in the longer game TBH) just developed really fast.

And TBF, he was very young when he debuted, even if he probably was a little older than 17.
    He was a genuine 10/11 for his FC side and was being developed as Saqlain's prodigy. You watch his first 5-10 games he does look like a genuine tail ender. It was in 2001 when he had a collision with Afridi in an odi at Lords that hurt his shoulder badly and his bowling suffered , to compensate for that he started working more on his batting and slowly but surely there you have him batting at 4 for Pakistan in a test match.

WoW. I have that fateful match (in which Shoaib bowled 4 overs for 39, being repeatedly smashed over mid-wicket by Trescothick to bring England back into a game they appeared completely out of), including that wholly nasty collision, on tape and still watch it from time to time (it was a thriller, went down to the last ball). But I never knew that said collision was the spur for Shoaib developing his batting, which in OD cricket rapidly became excellent.

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozone View Post
    Nasser was definately looked upon as a very good bowler as a youngster, before getting the yips (I think). Shows the strength of mind of the man to be able to convert himself into a test class batsman.
    Arguable IMO.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Micky Stewart certainly seems to think so. Apparently Surrey promoting Arthur McIntyre and Sussex Snow was very common.

He mentioned this to illustrate that the idea of the "pinch-hitter" certainly wasn't invented by Mark Greatbatch or Sanath Jayasyuriya \ Romesh Kaluwitharana.

Jack Birkenshaw did it first for Leicestershire in the John Player League. It was actually completely pointless as neither he nor Snow were good enough batsman and there were no fielding restrictions to take advantage of. I remember Snow hitting the occasional 30 odd but just by playing as an orthodox opener did at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    If memory serves Mr Z didn't John Snow end up opening the batting for Sussex in the old Sunday League?
    I don't know about that. But my Dad played against him when they were in their youth, and at that stage Snow was basically a batsman. And when I say a batsman, he was a hitter who used to try to smack the thing as hard as he possibly could. I don't think he bowled at all at that stage.

Fred, can you remind me what JS's autobiography is called?
    Last edited by zaremba; 28-02-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: "him" not "them"

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I don't know about that. But my Dad played against them when they were in their youth, and at that stage Snow was basically a batsman. And when I say a batsman, he was a hitter who used to try to smack the thing as hard as he possibly could. I don't think he bowled at all at that stage.

Fred, can you remind me what JS's autobiography is called?
    "Cricket Rebel"

He published a couple of books of poetry too

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Jack Birkenshaw did it first for Leicestershire in the John Player League. It was actually completely pointless as neither he nor Snow were good enough batsman and there were no fielding restrictions to take advantage of. I remember Snow hitting the occasional 30 odd but just by playing as an orthodox opener did at the time.
    My recollection is that Snow was a hopeless opening bat except on the day I rocked up at Horsham and he got a matchwinning and impressive 50 odd against Lanky

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    My recollection is that Snow was a hopeless opening bat except on the day I rocked up at Horsham and he got a matchwinning and impressive 50 odd against Lanky
    He failed more often than not. I just remember a couple of 30ish scores in televised John Player League Matches.

International Captain
    Pakistan batsman Majid Khan was originally a fast bowler (and was accused of chucking his bouncer) until he got an injury. He then became a top class batsman, though his achievement didn't match his ability.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I think Ravi Shastri started out as just a spinner before he realised he could bore people twice as much by also opening the batting.
    dont want to be contrary to such a widely accepted opinion and irritate you. but i genuinely am very thankful as an indian fan to shastri for providing solidity at the top of the order after sunil gavaskar's retirement. and i was an unabashed fan of his ODI batting down the order at no.6 or 7 before he became such a bore. he used to hit some really huge sixers off the spinners. i think he was misunderstood by the team management of that era and was badly handled.

here are some of my fav knocks of shastri; not enough to induct him into an all time XI i agree but he was not that crappy.

Cricinfo - 5th ODI: India v Pakistan at Nagpur, Mar 24, 1987 (it was an afridi-ish knock 10 years ahead of its time. shastri decided to go out fighting. watching the straight driven six and the flicked boundary off consecutive imran deliveries was one of the high points of my childhood)
    Cricinfo - 1st Test: India v Australia at Chennai, Sep 18-22, 1986 (second innings knock was a rivetting one. he was the hero of the last session of one of the greatest contests of all time)
    Cricinfo - 2nd Test: West Indies v India at Bridgetown, Apr 7-12, 1989 (considering the bowling attack and the match situation it was one of the best ever overseas knocks by an indian in a losing cause. the three wickets of haynes, logie and dujan - plus ambrose's - in the WI first innings are a bonus)
    Last edited by bagapath; 28-02-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Cricket Spectator
    What about Nathan Astle?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information