35 50.72%
  • Stuart Broad

25 36.23%
  • Perry Groves

9 13.04%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitchell Johnson v Stuart Broad

Mitchell Johnson v Stuart Broad

Now before a load of angry Australians start ranting about how Broad will never be as good a bowler as Johnson is now, this is not a comparison of the two as bowlers. It is also not a comparison of their fielding abilities, temperaments or anything else like that. The only thing that I am comparing the two on, is there batting ability, and how valuable they are as a test match number 7/8/9.

Without taking too much notice of statistics (both have had relatively short test careers to date, therefore averages may just be inflated), which would you prefer to have coming in when the side is in need of runs? And do either of them have a viable chance of becoming a test standard (bowling) all-rounder?
    There's only one Dimitri Mascarenhas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It's surely a piss take that in the country who gave us Robert Nesta Marley, King Tubby & Jimmy Cliff that we're tortured with Chumba-fuggin'-Wamba between overs?

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Think their batting is quite a similar standard. I guess being about 5 years younger, you might think that Broad has more room for improvement.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Johnson, easily.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    TBH Broad looks a much more solid batsman, a much better technician and generally possesses a better attitude to batting than Johnson. There's no doubt Johnson can play, but I've always been surprised he's as good as he is because he essentially looks like a "give it a whack" merchant rather than a genuine batsman.

So I'd hope Broad can eventually be the better player, but being what I say above that Broad is won't always translate into such, so we can only wait and see.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

There's no doubt Johnson can play, but I've always been surprised he's as good as he is because he essentially looks like a "give it a whack" merchant rather than a genuine batsman.
    Haha, no way. He definitely bats like a batsman, he just smashes the ball when he plays an attacking shot.

It's interesting. Neither played that much First Class cricket before being picked in their respective Test teams and Johnson in particular batted way down the order for Queensland due to their absurd amount of established allrounders. As such, neither really did much with the bat in First Class cricket and their records at that level don't really do them justice.

I think it's pretty damn close, but I'm going to go with Johnson, just.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

TBH Broad looks a much more solid batsman, a much better technician and generally possesses a better attitude to batting than Johnson. There's no doubt Johnson can play, but I've always been surprised he's as good as he is because he essentially looks like a "give it a whack" merchant rather than a genuine batsman.

So I'd hope Broad can eventually be the better player, but being what I say above that Broad is won't always translate into such, so we can only wait and see.
    Johnson looked that way in his early Test innings because he often came in with Australia chasing quick runs or found himself running out of partners. He's shown since then, though, that he's quite capable of playing a "proper" looking innings when the situation suits - his partnership with North in the Test much currently being played being a prime example. He can launch when he needs to, but that's something that should add to his reputation rather than detract from it given he can play normally with a very good technique as well.

I agree that Broad seems to take it more seriously and looks slightly better technically but Johnson is certainly not just a "give it a whack merchant".
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 28-02-2009 at 06:19 AM.

Johnson has extremely good technique, not sure what you're watching.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Johnson's definitely better for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Haha, no way. He definitely bats like a batsman, he just smashes the ball when he plays an attacking shot.
    That's moreoreless the point. When playing attacking strokes, he often just has a big swing rather than playing "proper" shots. Doesn't make him much less effective, but it does

Another point on Broad is that he essentially gave-up batting for a couple of years. He was an opening-batsman until the age of, IIRR, about 16, but after his bowling developed he left it be for a couple of years concentrating on his bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Johnson has extremely good technique, not sure what you're watching.
    He may not have a poor one, but Broad's is certainly better.

He may not have a poor one, but Broad's is certainly better.
    I agree, Broad is technically very good whilst Johnson is only OK. Not neccessarily saying that makes Broad better mind, otherwise Ian Bell would be a world beater.

That's moreoreless the point. When playing attacking strokes, he often just has a big swing rather than playing "proper" shots. Doesn't make him much less effective, but it does.
    No, he doesn't have a big swing. He plays an aggressive shot and belts the leather off the ball. It's still a 'proper' shot, whatever that term means.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Misread the forum and voted for Mitch, but I would put Broad above him in terms of technical batting ability. The guy technically plays some class shots, and I would say he has a better defence. With Mitch, you're just waiting for him to get out, and credit to him he just doesn't....

Played and missed quite a bit in that innings of 96, early on when trying to defend, and I reckon looks more solid playing aggressive strokes where as Broad looks more solid in defence, though he also plays his strokes.

Broad will be better no doubt, but atm it's quite even and Mitch will probobly be more likely to score more runs right now because of his ability to switch gears...
    TRINIS

We run fast

We talk fast

We drive fast

...everything else we do slooooooow

I really haven't seen much of Johnson batting. Broad is a good player though, has a good batting record in Tests, and looks the part.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information