• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Outline your referral system

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
After the controversy with Ponting spending too long before choosing to refer his decision, how would you outline the specifics of the referral system, from the number of referrals, to the signal to the basis on which a decision is overturned, etc.

archie mac

International Coach
bbb

The third umpire after just one quick replay, decides if a referral is warranted, and then contacts the field umpire, who gives the signal

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
If they're going to do referrals, they should use hotspot and snicko. I can see the reason for not using the predictive part of hawkeye, because it's a prediction of what might happen. But hotspot and snicko are actually what has happened.

archie mac

International Coach
If they're going to do referrals, they should use hotspot and snicko. I can see the reason for not using the predictive part of hawkeye, because it's a prediction of what might happen. But hotspot and snicko are actually what has happened.
Just posted the same thing in the SA V Aust thread:happy:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't fully realise that it was basically up to the TV company what technology to provide, and what they decide to pay for. That definitely doesn't seem right if it's actually being used officially by the umpires.

archie mac

International Coach
I didn't fully realise that it was basically up to the TV company what technology to provide, and what they decide to pay for. That definitely doesn't seem right if it's actually being used officially by the umpires.
Same thing as when they started referrals for run outs:-O

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's been unfortunate in the current England series that Harper hasn't done his job within his remit and too many referrals have been borderline LBW's. Where it becomes invaluable is the bat-pad that's given not out or the edge onto the pad which is given out LBW.

archie mac

International Coach
It's been unfortunate in the current England series that Harper hasn't done his job within his remit and too many referrals have been borderline LBW's. Where it becomes invaluable is the bat-pad that's given not out or the edge onto the pad which is given out LBW.
Hot spot is the answer

Craig

World Traveller
If your going to have a referral system, then you MUST give the 3rd umpire all the tool available. What is the point in having a system but your half arsed about it?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If your going to have a referral system, then you MUST give the 3rd umpire all the tool available. What is the point in having a system but your half arsed about it?

It's due to the obcession with not undermining the on-field umpires too much.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm very happy with the current system for now. Seems to work pretty well, and will work better when everyone's got used to it. Obviously there are some glitches to iron out but they will be addressed pretty rapidly.

New aspects (eg hotspot, snicko) might be added in due course but let's take it one step at a time.

ozone

First Class Debutant
I'm very happy with the current system for now. Seems to work pretty well, and will work better when everyone's got used to it. Obviously there are some glitches to iron out but they will be addressed pretty rapidly.

New aspects (eg hotspot, snicko) might be added in due course but let's take it one step at a time.
Thought I was in a minority here, but I completely agree. ATM, the system needs to be given a fair chance, by both players and umpires. I'm not sure if this is already the case, but I would say that if the technology is available even in part (for example, hot spot is available for the first three tests but not the final two), it should be used when it can.

readie

State Regular
Personally believe that if we're going to go down this road we should do it properly. Hotspot definitely should be used but I personally don't trust snicko quite enough

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think teams should have just one unsuccessful referral per innings with all technology available used (snikometer, the predictive measure of hawkeye*, hotspot). This way, batsmen would be insane to refer a decision which is out and we can get the best possible decision without clogging up the game any more than necessary.

*However, umpires should be educated upon the possible inaccuracies of hawkeye. When hawkeye states that a delivery is clipping the stumps, is it to be believed? Moreover, as far as I understand, hawkeye uses five cameras, so should positionings of the camera imbetween two of the cameras be trusted, and so on.

I feel that there should be an upper limit of five minutes for a third umpire to make a decision as I feel this ample time.

ozone

First Class Debutant
5 minutes might be a bit too long IMO. Imagine if there were consecutive appeals which took 5 minutes each to decide. Would end up with over rates below 10 per hour.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps too long, I was trying to tread the line between giving plenty of time and not slowing the game down, perhaps it should be two or three minutes.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Yea, I would probably say 3 minutes, and then if the 3rd Umpire still hasn't found anything conclusive, the on-field decision stands.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
15 seconds from the time the field umpire gives his decision for the players concerned to ask for a referral.
Third umpire to start reviewing borderline decisions as soon as possible, even without waiting for a referral request. I don't think limiting the time they take to reach a decision would be a good idea, considering that there are many factors at play - the tightness of the situation, the time taken by the production company to provide the required angles etc. What would save time is requiring the fielding team to get their players back into position once a referral is made.
I'm comfortable with Hawkeye, Snickometer and Hotspot. I don't buy the argument that Hawkeye's predictive nature means it shouldn't be used, since predictions are basically what the on field umpires base their lbw decisions on anyway. The opposition to it is even more ridiculous when one considers that Steve Bucknor openly confesses that he replays the delivery in his mind to make his decision.
3 referrals per ininngs for the fielding team. 3 referrals per innings for the batting team, subject to the final decision made by the third umpire. If the batting team gets 2 referral decisions not in their favour, they forfeit the 3rd.

Evermind

International Debutant
Not sure about other games, but in all games involving Australia, just ask Michael Clarke whether he thinks it's out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, here's some good reasons why the referral system should be chucked-out of the 11th-floor window same way I$C$C's committee (whether it's the cricket committee or whatever)'s last idiot idea, the Supersub, was:
  • The undermining of the authority of the Umpire already mentioned before the damn thing was trialled - which some people seem to like the idea of doing but which is a) useless and b) counter-productive
  • It patently isn't helping a great deal
  • The biggest problem is the fact that the decision has to be overturned at all. Obviously there needs to be conclusive evidence to do such a thing... so therefore the onus being put on overturning is just stupid and will not solve a massive number of problems. The best thing to do is to avoid mistakes being made, not try to correct them once they have been.
  • Time is wasted by any amount of unneccessary stuff which would happen far, far quicker if it was just a quick few words between Umpires on and off field
  • Most players and Umpires don't really like it much anyway - classic example of stuff being done from the boardroom without much of a feel for what happens on the field