• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is this Fidel Edwards?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They've done it again! The WI selcetors picking an unknown player for the provisional 2nd Test 14. Not even I have heard of this guy.

his deceptive fast inswinging yorkers from a slinging round-arm action, similar to former Australian fast bowler Jeff Thompson and Pakistani Waqar Younis
captured the most wickets in the Barbados trials for the 2002 season when he constantly dismissed former West Indies Test opener and vice-captain Sherwin Campbell
The Full Article

Rich2001

International Captain
The slimly-built Edwards, who is a younger brother of dropped West Indies left-arm pacer Pedro Collins

What excatly did Pedro Collins do wrong, wasn't he like the best bowler in the last Tests?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rich2001 said:
The slimly-built Edwards, who is a younger brother of dropped West Indies left-arm pacer Pedro Collins

What excatly did Pedro Collins do wrong, wasn't he like the best bowler in the last Tests?

he hasnt been that good...

Wasnt Omari Banks unknown? He has done extremely well coming into test cricket IMO...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:

Wasnt Omari Banks unknown? He has done extremely well coming into test cricket IMO...
Banks had played around 15-20 FC matches before his selection and played successfully. Edwards has played 1 FC match and picked up 1 for 50odd.

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:

Iam not saying that, all Iam just saying that P Collins is the form bowler he was the only bowler looking threathing to the SL batsman and he takes a 5 for and the next game his dropped for quite frankly who?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rich2001 said:
Iam not saying that, all Iam just saying that P Collins is the form bowler he was the only bowler looking threathing to the SL batsman and he takes a 5 for and the next game his dropped for quite frankly who?
You're mistaken. It was Cory Collymore, his Bajan team mate, who took the 5-for. Collins hasn't played since he was dropped after the second Test v Australia.

Rich2001

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You're mistaken. It was Cory Collymore, his Bajan team mate, who took the 5-for. Collins hasn't played since he was dropped after the second Test v Australia.
Sorry my mistake :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Hmmmm, but Omari Banks' bowling average is in the 70s and he took one wicket in this Test, all his success has been with the bat. I wouldn't rule out the WIndies dropping him for no reason though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Granted his average is poor, but Banks has bowled very well without much luck at all. I think he will become a Carl Hooper, a very good batsman (he has superb technique) and a useful spinner.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Granted his average is poor, but Banks has bowled very well without much luck at all.
Well that's what averages don't tell you. People may have thought Ray Price bowled rubbishly in England but they would be wrong, he was very very unlucky.

I think he will become a Carl Hooper, a very good batsman (he has superb technique) and a useful spinner.
Hmmmm just a tad more successful and a tad less contriversial though ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this beats the NZ selectors selection of Ian Butler after he had just played 2 first class games for Northern Districts last year.

They've basically picked this guy Edwards on trial matches, they obviously think he's got amazing potential but I don't like what the Windies are doing at the moment..they're picking players from nowhere.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Lara seems to be very impressed with him though.

With any luck, he won't get a game on Friday ahead of Drakes. It's like exposing film to light....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its a very bizarre selection & I hope he just doesn't get dropped like Tino Best was because that can sometimes do more damage than good.

How has Jerome Taylor been doing anyway? I think his return of figures haven't been that great but then again stats can be misleading..has he bowled with pace & accuracy or shown some kind of potential?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Jerome Taylore bowled up around 85 mph on average. He bowled 5 good balls and a 4-ball for the most part, but the encouraging thing is that he kept charging in. He didn't lose spirit. His bowling action is also quite impressive. He's certainly one for the future.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Whats happened to Tino Best though? a month back he was considered one of the best fast bowling prospects in the West Indies and had a poor match against Australia.
Now he's been leap-frogged by 2 relatively unknown quicks.

Mr Mxyzptlk

As I said, it's like exposing film to light. He wasn't ready yet. I still believe that he will bounce back and will be in the team in the next year or two. He's too talented to fall apart so easily.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But i'd say his confidence will be shot a little.
If he was replaced by 1 or 2 experienced bowlers or bowlers considered to be ahead of him he could probably accept it..but being overtaken by 2 younger unknown bowlers with very little first class experience i'd say he'd be gutted.

But I hope he does bounce back.