• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is this Fidel Edwards?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Can someone start a "who is Rikki Clarke" thread - may get him a few better performances!
When someone gets out like he does and still is considered as an all-rounder despite the waywardness of his bowling...that's very very unlikely...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
When someone gets out like he does and still is considered as an all-rounder despite the waywardness of his bowling...that's very very unlikely...
At least he's not playing here today.

5 front line bowlers plus McGrath looks a lot nicer than 4 plus McGrath plus Clarke!

Be interesting to see who comes on first change though, as Flintoff is about as good as anyone in the world at that at the moment.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm stunned! I don't think there's anything wrong with his action. He bowls a skiddy shape of deliveries, which, with the swing he gets, can be extremely useful. He's generally between 85-90mph so and he's still quite small. As the commentators were saying, he will get bigger, stronger and quicker as he develops and plays more cricket. He's certainly impressed me!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wait and see yet... Playing SL on a bowler friendly wicket (Nissanka and Collymore also took 5-fers) is one thing, Australia (or England, India, South Africa...) is quite another.

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Wait and see yet... Playing SL on a bowler friendly wicket (Nissanka and Collymore also took 5-fers) is one thing, Australia (or England, India, South Africa...) is quite another.
Yep, it's a fantastic start... but consistancy is the key.

Mr Mxyzptlk

IMO the wicket got much better for batting on the 3rd day as indicated by Lara and Sarwan looking very much at ease against the bowlers. That said, Muralitharan bowled the best continuous spells of spin bowling I have seen in quite some time. Lara was quite troubled by him early in the piece.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
chris.hinton said:
I think that it could be a good selection? you dont have to play 100 matches before you are good enough for the test side? Remember Tendulkar played for india whilist only appearing for Bombay twice prior to that
Your sig makes me feel argumentative........

Bazza

International 12th Man
I think this was a mightily impressive display, but it does seem bowler friendly conditions - I mean for Collymore to take seven in the second innings is almost as remarkable.

Also, as we mentioned recently, the Sri Lanka batting line-up can have a tendency to give up almost.

Mr Mxyzptlk

That said, Collymore and Edwards (I missed Nissanka's 5-for) bowled a couple of World Class spells. Collymore bowled really well on Day 3, when he took all 5 SL wickets to fall.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wow, I'm astounded! Liam didn't know who Fidel Edwards was!
My awe of his range of knowledge of Caribbean cricket has gone... I now believe Tony Cozier to be his equal.
I think we can say that Rich and co. were right to be cautious and "let's wait and see about his consistency" though!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Wow, I'm astounded! Liam didn't know who Fidel Edwards was!
My awe of his range of knowledge of Caribbean cricket has gone... I now believe Tony Cozier to be his equal.
I think we can say that Rich and co. were right to be cautious and "let's wait and see about his consistency" though!
I think 'let's wait from some experience and good fitness management' would come before 'let's wait for some consistency'. When you're leading your teams Test bowling attack from just your 4th Test and 5th or 6th FC game, it's not the easiest.

Craig

World Traveller
Well for all they are worth, the WI selectors do have a knack of picking guys people haven't heard of and them turning into success thus making the selectors look correct after all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think 'let's wait from some experience and good fitness management' would come before 'let's wait for some consistency'. When you're leading your teams Test bowling attack from just your 4th Test and 5th or 6th FC game, it's not the easiest.
True, it's ridiculously unfair to expect him to succeed in this task - far, far too much has been asked of him and IMO this break from Test-cricket that West Indies now have can only do him good.