• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harmison : End?

Harmy gone for good?

• Total voters

Precambrian

Banned
He has been dropped for the 4th test against WI.

You never knew, but at his age, is a comeback looking good?

Or has he utilised all his 9 recalls?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's still only 30, and I've thought "he's finished" at least once before. So I doubt we've seen the last of him.

BTW he's only been dropped twice, not nine times TBH.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He may of course be back for the fifth test but always assuming he isn't I have no doubt that playing for Durham Harmison will bowl well and take wickets so unless Broad, Anderson and Sidebottom stay fit and at the top of their game he's bound to be back

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He may of course be back for the fifth test but always assuming he isn't I have no doubt that playing for Durham Harmison will bowl well and take wickets so unless Broad, Anderson and Sidebottom stay fit and at the top of their game he's bound to be back
And that's the key point. Our attack often looks so impotent that the temptation will always be there, especially if h's taking wickets for Durham. And it doesn't help that feasible replacements are thin on the ground.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Someone in the tour thread summed it up a while back TBH. He'll go back to county cricket, take ****loads of wickets at 18 and be 'back to the Harmy of 04', get recalled to the national side, and will be hugely disappointing.

BTW Richard, surely he has been dropped three times?

Scaly piscine

Err no he'll get recalled, bowl well even tho it's largely on a road and some buffoons in the media will decide he bowled badly because he didn't take a hatful. Then he'll go on a tour somewhere, barely get bowl any overs in the warmups, not play so well in a Test and then said buffoons will rake up some **** about how he's an awful traveller.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When's the first? Are you counting the games after his debut? He only played there as at least a couple of bowlers were out injured. You can't be dropped if you don't play as a first-choice in my book.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've always believed that the injury was genuine enough and that had he been fully fit he'd have played, but that they weren't sorry to have the excuse to make it look like he'd been dropped.

Since his debut he's missed:
2 Tests in 2002 - he only played the first one as an injury replacement so wasn't dropped.
1 in 2002/03 - had a shin injury as per usual.
Said aforementioned single Test in 2003.
3 (Sri Lanka series) in 2003/04 - had a back injury.
1 in 2005/06 and the first 3 (Sri Lanka series again) in 2006 - shin injury again.
3 (India series) in 2007 - back(?) injury.
1 in Sri Lanka in 2007/08 - some sort of injury UIMM.

Then obviously he was dropped in 2007/08 after the First Test in NZ, and dropped again for the Second Test in India. I don't really count the VRS game because it wasn't played, it was abandoned, so even though he was in theory left-out it counts for nothing to me.

ozone

First Class Debutant
When's the first? Are you counting the games after his debut? He only played there as at least a couple of bowlers were out injured. You can't be dropped if you don't play as a first-choice in my book.
I may be wrong, but wasn't he dropped for a test in the '03 South Africa series? By that stage he was sort-of established in the side. Then also in New Zealand and India last year and again today.

Thinking about it some more, he might have been injured in '03. Will try and check now.

EDIT: Shows how long I was looking for confirmation! Been pretty much discussed.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Someone in the tour thread summed it up a while back TBH. He'll go back to county cricket, take ****loads of wickets at 18 and be 'back to the Harmy of 04', get recalled to the national side, and will be hugely disappointing.

I believe that's me you're referring to.

And the thing with Harmison is that if he were to be discarded, I could script the next 6 months of his career:

Goes back to Durham.
Starts ok in the County Championship.
England win Test Series vs West Indies unconvincingly. At least one member of the Sky commentary team in the 2nd Test will bemoan the lack of Harmison.
Starts finding his rhythm bowling for Durham.
England lose 1st Ashes Test, with Harmison simultaneously taking near career best figures.
Harmison bowls consistently at 90+mph in a televised County 1 dayer. His actual bowling performance will be irrelevant.
The phrase "Harmison needs to be bowling plenty of overs to find his rhythm" will be heard, probably from Nasser Hussain.
England lose 2nd Ashes Test, with one member of the pace attack bowling at c. 80mph, taking match figures of 1-150.
Harmison is recalled for the 3rd Test. Bowls an excellent first spell, taking 2 key wickets. Rest of his match performance is average. Proclamations of Harmison being "back to his best."
Does little with the ball in the remaining 2 Tests, save for 2 glorious fast yorkers.
Bowls suprisingly well in the ODI series, largely because the Aussies are knackered from their international schedule, and still drunk from the post Ashes victory party. Sky commentary team remind us that this is why Harmison is so vital to the team.
Starts well, and fades in the Champions Trophy.
Has dreadful start in first tour game in South Africa. Goes wicketless, leaks runs at 3-4 an over. Continues dreadful form into first 2 Tests.
Harmison's place in England squad is again questioned.
Dropped for final test, amid rumours of the selectors losing patience.

And so on, and so forth.

Son Of Coco

Err no he'll get recalled, bowl well even tho it's largely on a road and some buffoons in the media will decide he bowled badly because he didn't take a hatful. Then he'll go on a tour somewhere, barely get bowl any overs in the warmups, not play so well in a Test and then said buffoons will rake up some **** about how he's an awful traveller.
Yes you're right...Harmy's a victim. I'm not sure most of the 06 Ashes series constitutes 'a test'. Surely he's in control of his own preparation to some extent. If he doesn't know he requires an extensive build up to matches before a series with an action like his then I'm not sure who's supposed to tell him.