• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey : The Fizz is gone?

Precambrian

Banned
He used to be the ultimate Hustler. Used to be the most prolific batsman, if not best, in the world a year back. Looked like ending up with a 70+ average in test matches. Was the toast of every baggy green loving person. At the end of 2007, Huss, had 1934 runs in 19 tests @ 80.58.

Since then, from 16 matches, only 979 runs have come, at a paltry average (by his standards) of 37.65.

Why?

Is it just because he debuted at the exact start of the peak in every good batsman's career? Or he played disproportionately huge number of Home tests in the initial period of his career, on flat Aussie wickets?

Is the fizz gone? Or can he put an end to this blip, and say, "Look here, am the Huss" and start scoring at the insane averages again?

Briony

International Debutant
He was very good early doors but also had an inordinate amount of luck. Enjoyed reprieves from fieldsmen and umpires alike. Seems to have developed a more crabby style in the past six months.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He played 14 home tests in the first bloc of 19. Does it have something to do with his humungous average?
No.

He's played some tests at home since and been ordinary there too.

I think he is a good player who hit a very good peak just as he was starting. Wouldn't be surprised to see his final average rest around the 55 mark.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey has shown throughout his whole career that he is a hot and cold batsman. He's had many seasons where he's blitzed the runs, but hasn't backed it up the next season. There is a reason why it took him so long to debut. I reckon all he needed to do was put back to back seasons together and he would have debuted a lot earlier especially around the time Blewett was the opener and Hayden was the only real challenger.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was very good early doors but also had an inordinate amount of luck. Enjoyed reprieves from fieldsmen and umpires alike. Seems to have developed a more crabby style in the past six months.
Really? I can recall one - the infamous Kallis let-off which cost a partnership of about 130 for the tenth-wicket and almost certainly cost South Africa the game.

I'm sure there might've been the odd other one there but nothing out-of-the-ordinary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hussey has shown throughout his whole career that he is a hot and cold batsman. He's had many seasons where he's blitzed the runs, but hasn't backed it up the next season. There is a reason why it took him so long to debut. I reckon all he needed to do was put back to back seasons together and he would have debuted a lot earlier especially around the time Blewett was the opener and Hayden was the only real challenger.
Yep - this was precisely the reason I never stopped expecting Hussey's average to come down.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
37 odd is hardly an abysmal blip, would back him to average mid-40s for the rest of his career. Think there was a thread on this about 6 months back, basically just regression towards the mean and all that jazz

pskov

International 12th Man
I don't think anyone expected that Hussey would finish with a 70+ career test average, a run of relatively poor form was always going to occur at some point. As it stands he has two, maybe three years of international cricket left in him I reckon so if he averages mid-forties during that time his career average will end up around 52 or so, which I think is a fair reflection of his ability considering this batting average inflated era.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
37 odd is hardly an abysmal blip, would back him to average mid-40s for the rest of his career. Think there was a thread on this about 6 months back, basically just regression towards the mean and all that jazz
Hasn't exactly averaged 37 TBH - since the end of the 2007/08 home summer he's had a bad series in West Indies in 2008, a good one in India in 2008/09 and a poor Southern Summer (so far) in 2008/09. So he's done mostly poorly and occasionally excellently.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's also having a run atm where he's nicking everything. The ball he got last night was a good 'un, as an example. Ha d to play it, got an edge.

But yeah, his form has certainly tapered - no one could keep performing at the level he did for his 1st 20 odd tests, at least no one who isn't Bradman.

And I'd prefer him at 5, rather than 4.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Will never score like that again. Pokes down the corridor way too much.
Agree with this, although after watching him in the most recent ODI's, I thought he was back in touch and likely to do well.

I wonder if there is any chance of Clarke at 4, Hussey at 5? It shouldn't make much of a difference, but it may help The Huss.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Suggested the possible minute change which was that a couple of months or so ago, no-one seemed that keen.

Top_Cat

As I predicted a while ago, he's been figured out. He's now right in the midst of a Tubby Taylor-esque run of nicks to the cordon. Sorry Huss, they just ain't going to be putting them up there trying for swing and giving you half-volleys to punch through cover, mate. Have to find another way.

Loving Richard's new location; '2005'. haha Well, I don't know how long it's been there but I just noticed.....

Uppercut

He is in a slump, it's called cricket they all have them, even Bradman
I thought there was a story about that. A particular batsman whose name escapes me, speaking to Bradman some time in the 80s or 90s, was asked if he needed help with anything. "Uhh, yeah kinda. I'm going through a poor spell of form, any tips on how to get out of it?" "Sorry mate, can't help you there," replied Bradman. "I never went through a poor spell."

archie mac

International Coach
I thought there was a story about that. A particular batsman whose name escapes me, speaking to Bradman some time in the 80s or 90s, was asked if he needed help with anything. "Uhh, yeah kinda. I'm going through a poor spell of form, any tips on how to get out of it?" "Sorry mate, can't help you there," replied Bradman. "I never went through a poor spell."

Just after BL on the 1934 tour, he went through (for him) a poor patch:)

Although it should be said it was found he had a severe illness which almost claimed his life; and that could well have been the reason