• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Australian Domestic Season Thread 2009/2010

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Excellent, I'll be sure to see you there a few times. I went heaps a few seasons back but none of my mates like cricket anywhere near enough to come with me and I got sick of going into the SCG by myself on public transport to watch the game in empty stand with two old men and a dog. If you'll be there often though it'd give me someone to talk to, definitely incentive.
Haha, but that's my life! Sitting by myself, watching Hughes gun it, and everyone else failing miserably. But yes, it would be good to have people to chat to, especially this season with a lot of big players for NSW.

Guess I could maybe make a game or two over the holidays. How much are tickets normally?
First Class games are next to nothing, pretty sure I never saw anyone pay more than $15 for entry, and quite often entry would be free. One Dayers are a bit more, especially at Telstra, but not expensive. Probably won't go to 20/20s, just because the crowd annoys me too much tbh.

IF you think you'll be going a bit, I recommend getting membership (Doug Walters Supporters Club). Last year it was $50, but there's no info up so far. Again last year - included entry to all home games (plus the odd one in Tassie and WA if you try...), a BBQ with the lads which was golden, discounts off food, off gear and a bunch of other stuff.

NSW are playing WA first up I think, which means Heal. :cool:

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
I think domestic one dayers are great to watch jakestar.. A four dayer is awesome to go to if you are there to watch a few players in particular. NSW will have a bunch of good players just out of the Australian team like Jaques, Bollinger, Hughes so I can't see how a day at the SCG would be boring.
Yeah, I agree with that too. Unfortunately my dad doesn't.

I might convince him, though.

brockley

International Captain
The age suggested if the windies send a D team that cricket australia may beef up some extra games for revenue,maybe more aca xl games,vs austraia or some more domestic 20/20's.
Be interesting to see what cricket australia does if a west indies D side is sent.
Maybe even an extra touring side who knows.

brockley

International Captain
Thursday 17 September 2009

Queensland’s bowlers were forced to toil long and hard on the flat Allan Border Field wicket yesterday as it was Tasmania’s top order’s turn to get some valuable time in the middle.

After Queensland thrashed 4-446 off their 96 overs on the first day of the three-day practice match, Tasmania responded with 3-329 before electing to terminate their inning short and have a late crack at the XXXX GOLD Bulls.

Under the trial rules, each team faces a maximum 96 overs in their first at-bat, and 48 in their second.

But they do have the option of ‘declaring’ early, which means Tasmania will have 66 overs for their run chase when they bat last today.

Queensland had advanced their score to 6-520 by stumps, an overall lead of 191 with 30 overs to face this morning.

Most of the Bulls bowlers were on target, with Chris Swan and Grant Sullivan bowling impressive opening spells.

Swan finished with 11-3-22-1 and Sullivan 8-3-38-0.

Nathan Rimmington also proved hard to put away despite the lightning fast outfield with 0-28 off 10 overs, and skipper Chris Simpson was tight with 11-3-23-0.

The main concern for the Bulls was fast bowler Ryan Harris, who left the field two balls into his fifth over with foot soreness.

Leg-spinner Daniel Doran had a solid work-out with 17-0-94-1, while Scott Walter (0-41 off 8.4), Alistair McDermott (0-30 off five), and Ben Cutting (1-22 of four) also enjoyed their work at the crease.

Tigers openers Jarrod Wells and Ed Cowan both scored centuries, adding 161 for the first wicket.

Wells hit 22 fours and a six in his 142-ball stay of 115, while former New South Welshman Cowan batted cautiously through the first part of his innings before belting four sixes among his last 10 scoring shots.

He finished with 133 off 221 balls, including 17 fours and five sixes.

George Bailey will be able to come back to the crease for the run chase after making 31 not out off 43 balls.

Simpson and keeper Chris Hartley took to the crease for the late afternoon bat, with the captain stroking 39 off 50 balls before being dismissed.

Hartley made just one, but Lee Carseldine looked in fine touch with a quickfire 29 not out and Nathan Reardon (11no) will launch the offensive this morning, with Craig Philipson and Glen Batticciotto still to come if required.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Will be hitting up most/all of NSW's home games this season, so if anyone is going, let me know. :)
If any of the Melb ****s interested in any vic games, let us know...

Only so many times I can drag the mates to state cricket.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Will make it to the odd Victoria game at the 'G' throughout the season.

Perfect Sunday afternoon, sitting back in the sun with 5 other spectators watching (random Australian spinner #8) being belted around.

Interested in hearing some predictions for the upcoming season, under a month away now.

Hard to go against Victoria in any of the 3 competitions. Bowling attack remains strong (but ageing), 1 horrible test does not make Bryce McGain a poor spinner, and you expect Hodge and Rogers (with help from Hussey and White) to score many a big century.

Can't see Western Australia (who will score runs for WA?) or Queensland challenging. Expecting South Australia to finally emerge from seasons of gloom. Team looks very exciting, and I think some of the performances late last season showed the direction this team is travelling.

brockley

International Captain
Thursday 17 September 2009

The PKF Tasmanian Tigers today won an entertaining pre-season practice match against the XXXX GOLD Queensland Bulls as the Allan Border Field continued to provide batsmen with ample incentive to score freely.

The three-day match came down to the final overs, with the Tigers passing the Bulls total of 613 in their second innings after yesterday declaring their first innings at 3-329 in order to set-up a last day run chase.

Under the playing conditions agreed to, the Tigers were able to add on their “unused” overs from their first innings to the 48 overs from their second innings to give themselves 66 overs to chase down the target.

They finished with 7-286, to have a combined score of 615. Captain George Bailey finished 109 not out from 162 balls and athletic pace bowler Brendan Drew slammed 90 from just 79 balls including 10 sixes and five fours.

Teenage pace bowler Alister McDermott picked up 2-18 from six overs while fellow Gold Coast paceman Chris Swan took 1-13 from his five over spell.

Leg-spinner Daniel Doran took 1-45 from 10 overs while quicks Grant Sullivan (1-40 from nine overs) and Ben Cutting (1-26 from seven overs) both collected wickets with the new ball.

The Bulls, which scored 4-446 from their initial 96 overs, continued their first innings this morning rather than starting a fresh innings in order to give other players a bat and finally were dismissed for 613.

Tasmanian pace bowling recruit Adam Maher claimed 4-120 from 25 overs to make a solid fist of his hit-out for his new State while Drew picked up 2-95 from his 21 overs and off-spinner Jason Krejza got 2-140 from 32 overs.

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Looking forward to this summer of domestic cricket as always.

First game on 11th October according to my calender, but more importantly, first NSW game on 1st November.

brockley

International Captain
Craig rosario who played for wa 2nd xl last season moved back to queensland,jon davidson moved from mosman in sydney to brisbane.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I'm a South African cricket follower and monitor your guys domestic cricket for any big talents.Thats the beuty of domestic cricket and thats why I follow SA domestic cricket avidly as well.

Now I think I'm fair in saying that Aussie domestic cricket and Saffa domestic cricket is very close in quality. Because its strength v strength and obviously high skill levels to the individuals.

But its also right that the demographics in your domestic cricky isn't quite right and the ageing players are holding some players back. I remember reading that Quuensland and 1 or 2 other sides were also quite old on average and youngsters weren't being given enough chances domestically. I am I right in saying that boys?

Who are the up-and-coming stars besides Phil Hughes who are regulars domestically??

Josh Hazlewood.....but he isn't near NSW 1st team and they give yongsters chances.

Any others?

brockley

International Captain
Fair comments seam up.
We are strong but not as strong as south africa it seems,we are not producing good enough talent.
Too many iffy cricketers and too old cricketers in aussie domestic cricket.
Glad qld dropped perren an underperformer in sheffield shield for years,still has a part to play in the one dayers,doran should go too.
NSW sadly will be clogged up by clark,lee and brakken this year,brakken been underperforming for years,when was the last time he took 40 wkts in a season.We have some good youngsters shame many will be on the bench this season.
Victoria will probably win but have an over dominance of players post 30,its not healthy for a side.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair to Bracks he has been playing ODI's through the middle of most domestic seasons and has missed quite a few FC games because of that. He is also not a big wicket taker, but he does keep it very tight and gives NSW a lot of control.

brockley

International Captain
I wish:laugh:
No casson is the 1 to tie up and end not brakken,if casson can't get liam doran in.
I die to think clark,lee and brakken could be our attack this year,what next hauritz.
Brakken is meant to play 7/8 first class games a year,its just cause he breaks down he doesn't play many games.
I think he only played 2/3 first class game last summer.
There was a time brakken took 40 wkts but that was a long time ago.
Would like to see bollinger,****ley and cameron in there they bowl sides out unlike brakken.
Brakken has had it as a 4 day bowler not an effectve wicket taker anymore.
We want to bowl sides out this year don't we,and win the shield.
Can't help liking it going to the vics just because of loyalty selections.
Its not as if brakken will ever play a test again anyway.8-)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Casson can't be the bowler to rely upon to "tie up an end". The guy bowls left-arm wrist-spin, gives the ball a good rip, but he does bowl bad balls, and probably always will. His issue is making sure that his good balls are good enough to take wickets, and execute plans.