• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Tahir vs Bryce McGain

Who's better: Tahir vs McGain?

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Both are eyeing for their first test soon, an saw them bowl on same pitch in last tour match of Aussies.

Who's better?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Imran Tahir is an awful bowler if you can't get a nod over Kraperia then you must be useless.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah he could never impress in key moments saw him bowling in a OD game and he was taken to the cleaners by Faisal Iqbal and some random FC player thought he was pretty crap.
I saw him bowl at the end of the season for Hampshire last summer when he tore the whole county circuit apart. Obviously we both have pretty limited experience of watching him bowl. But his FC and List A records don't support the "pretty crap" theory in any way, shape or form.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF, while they don't support the "pretty crap" theory at all, they do very much (First-Class anyway - never taken much notice of his doings in OD cricket as wristspinners don't tend to be much use there), they certainly support an "occasionally brilliant and often very moderate" one. Imran Tahir, all career, has promised a lot and delivered only relatively rarely.

McGain, meanwhile, hasn't broken into First-Class cricket until his mid-30s. Either he's a remarkably late developer or he's not really all that good and is just the best of a bad bunch.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never seen McGain bowl, but Tahir is one of the very few non-English test prospects I've seen play FC cricket. He turned out for Hants versus Notts (IIRC) in one of the two county games Sky shows. Looks useful. Good variation and control, but not a massive turner of the cherry as leggies go.

Googly seems well disguised tho and went thru the tail like a dose of salts. I think he looks to have more about him than Harris, but the latter seems to be one of those bowlers who's more effective than he looks like he should be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never seen McGain bowl, but Tahir is one of the very few non-English test prospects I've seen play FC cricket. He turned out for Hants versus Notts (IIRC) in one of the two county games Sky shows. Looked useful on that one occasion, which of course prove nothing about how he's looked on all the other occasions he's played First-Class cricket.
Corrected.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It added what was crucially ommitted, hence its addition.

Too many people are too quick - far too quick - to judge how wonderful a player is due to him bowling well on a whole one occasion which happened to be the one the cameras were present at. It means virtually nothing, how well a player does in one single game.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It added what was crucially ommitted, hence its addition.

Too many people are too quick - far too quick - to judge how wonderful a player is due to him bowling well on a whole one occasion which happened to be the one the cameras were present at. It means virtually nothing, how well a player does in one single game.
Are you trying to pick a fight or are you just being obtuse?

The present indicative verb "looks" when used in a sentence like "Looks useful" should be read as a synonym for "seems to be" or "appears like he might be"; no definitive judgement was implied nor should've been inferred.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tahir's been excellent any time I've seen him for Hampshire.

I've never seen McGain, but given that his entire career up until recently has been spent in Victoria's grade system, with the occasional call up whenever Warne etc. have been unavailable, to average 33 with the ball in Australian FC cricket is no mean feat when you compare his career stats with the likes of Nathan Hauritz, Jason Krezja, Beau Casson and Cameron White.