• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Pakistan's second best Test cricketer ever?

Who is Pakistan's second best Test cricketer ever?

• Abdul Qadir

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Asif Iqbal

• Hanif Mohammad

• Inzamam Ul Haq

• Mohammad Yousuf

• Mushtaq Mohammad

• Saeed Anwar

• Zaheer Abbas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Reckon this might be a good opportunity to run this, considering the increased activity among the Pakistani posters during the ongoing series. As in the polls for the Indians and the Australians, we're voting for the second best, not necessarily greatest.

Sachin Tendulkar leads by a landslide for the Indians, and Miller has a 6 vote lead over Warne so far for the Australians other than the Don.

Cast your vote in the poll, please.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lots of greats to choose from here, but went for Wasim Akram, simply because he's one of my all tiime favourites. Biased? Hell yeah.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I’m torn between Akram and Miandad (with all due apologies to Inzi, Hanif, and Waqar). Miandad probably doesn’t get the credit he deserves for Pakistan’s success during the 80’s and parts of 90’s. Much like Tendulkar, he often had to carry the team’s batting on his shoulders. Once he was established, all the expectations and pressures were on him. He provided brilliant tactical support to Imran on the field as a Vice-Captain. I LOVED his street fighting style. You knew that Miandad would always go down fighting for Pakistan, no matter what the situation. Having said all that, I ended up voting for Akram. Probably the most talented bowler that Pakistan ever produced (though not the best, as that would be Imran IMO). His comparatively better success against the best sides and players of the world probably edges it for me. He has a decent record as Captain as well and I think he would’ve done even better if not for all the player revolts and politics. Incidentally, I do wish SJS was still posting as he could probably do a good write-up on Hanif and Abbas.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
For the record, I almost considered creating a poll for the third best instead of second best, but decided it would probably be disrespectful towards the likes of Fazal Mahmood, Hanif Mohammad and Miandad to discount them totally.

Fusion

Global Moderator
For the record, I almost considered creating a poll for the third best instead of second best, but decided it would probably be disrespectful towards the likes of Fazal Mahmood, Hanif Mohammad and Miandad to discount them totally.
I think that was the right decision. Like I said, I'm definitely torn between Miandad and Akram. I've seen SJS post before that he considered Abbas to be the best Pakistani batsman ever, so conceivably he (and others) may consider him the 2nd best ever Pakistani player. Akram may deserve to be called 2nd best, but I don’t think it’s a clear-cut choice.

Burgey

Interesting thing about Wasim - he didn't make the post-Packer XI, and whilst considered brilliant by most, if not all, cricket followers, is not often mentioned as an all timer.

Yet when you here the guys who played against him, they all rated him as dangerous as any bowler they ever faced. Loved the way that fella played cricket.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I’m torn between Akram and Miandad (with all due apologies to Inzi, Hanif, and Waqar). Miandad probably doesn’t get the credit he deserves for Pakistan’s success during the 80’s and parts of 90’s. Much like Tendulkar, he often had to carry the team’s batting on his shoulders. Once he was established, all the expectations and pressures were on him. He provided brilliant tactical support to Imran on the field as a Vice-Captain. I LOVED his street fighting style. You knew that Miandad would always go down fighting for Pakistan, no matter what the situation. Having said all that, I ended up voting for Akram. Probably the most talented bowler that Pakistan ever produced (though not the best, as that would be Imran IMO). His comparatively better success against the best sides and players of the world probably edges it for me. He has a decent record as Captain as well and I think he would’ve done even better if not for all the player revolts and politics. Incidentally, I do wish SJS was still posting as he could probably do a good write-up on Hanif and Abbas.
ditto. I share the same thoughts as you on Miandad and Akram. I shall only add to Miandad's portion that the bowlers he had to face tells something about him. If a batsman can average over 50 after facing bowlers like Hadlee, Marshall, Lillee, Ambrose, Garner, Thomson, Roberts, Holding, Walsh, Kapil for all his career especially while he being the only world-class batsman in the line-up for a long part in his career, he certainly deserves to be considered among the best of batsmen of all time.

Yeah SJS would have been the best person to write something about Abbas. He is an ardent fan of Abbas, and considers him Pakistan's best batsman purely based on the style and grace involved in his batting.

Last edited:

funnygirl

State Regular
Interesting thing about Wasim - he didn't make the post-Packer XI, and whilst considered brilliant by most, if not all, cricket followers, is not often mentioned as an all timer.

Yet when you here the guys who played against him, they all rated him as dangerous as any bowler they ever faced. Loved the way that fella played cricket.
Yes .Love the guy to death .The way he played.The way he rated by his peers .Clearly not a clean charcter and flawless cricketer .Highly controversial and an underachiever as well.

But i can watch the guy whole day without changing the channels .Not just another fast bowler.An artist with the ball.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Akram is their Best Cricketer ever. Imran Khan is the greatest Pakistani Cricketer, but not the best, he is their second best.

Since Imran is not an option, I abstain.

funnygirl

State Regular
Akram is their Best Cricketer ever. Imran Khan is the greatest Pakistani Cricketer, but not the best, he is their second best.

Well what is the difference between the greatest and the best.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well what is the difference between the greatest and the best.
Best is judged on purely cricketing skills and achievements, Greatest is judged on cricketing skills and more such as leadership qualities,achievements under that leadership, assembling talents, getting the best out of them etc.

Top_Cat

Actually that's a decent question; why is the thread about the second-best player when the best is in dispute?

Anyway, I'm only really raising this because this thread is such a tough one to answer and I'm totally avoiding it.

Between Imran, Miandad and Akram for mine. Loved Waqar the most but those three = quality.

EDIT: For sheer talent, all-wicket ability and just plain gun-ness, Wasim.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Wasim & Lara are the two most talented players I have seen and I feel both underachieved. With the names on the list I feel Younis needs to be an option aswell.

subshakerz

International Coach
My opinion has always been that Pakistan has only produced two all-time great cricketers, Imran Khan and Wasim Akram, players you would deem worthy of consideration for an all-time XI. Inzamam, Fazal, Miandad, Waqar and Qadir were all worldclass, but fall short of that standard.