• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An All-Time Twenty20 XI

Something_Fishy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Twenty20 (as we all know) is not just about swinging the willow. It is a mixture of power, aggression, timing, proper cricket strokes, placement, improvisation, quick thinking, sharp fielding and the ability to bowl yorkers and slower balls (and do not underestimate the value of good umpiring). Although it's only been going a few years, already there are some standout performers. Here is my proposal of the all-time Twenty20 XI:

Chris Gayle (only Twenty20 International centurion)
Adam Gilchrist (wk) (he's just so much better than Brendon McCullum)
Herschelle Gibbs (438 game)
JP Duminy (the classiest player in the world)
Yuvraj Singh (50 runs; 12 balls)
Mike Hussey (in the unlikely event the score is 7/4)
Albie Morkel (jirre, but he can moer a ball)
Shane Warne (c) (proved he is Australia's best (n)ever captain)
Daniel Vettori (best Twenty20 bowler ever)
Nathan Bracken (bowls the best slower balls in the game)
Charl Langeveldt (no.1 death bowler in the world - remember that hattrick against the Windies?)
12th man - Michael Clarke (incredible fielder that can bat)

Also in the squad - Sanath Jayasuriya, Brendon McCullum, Andrew Symonds, Yusuf Pathan and Umar Gul.

Obviously the batting lineup is interchangeable depending on the situation but I reckon this team will 170+ on any surface 90% of the time. The team is also very spin-heavy, and that might have something to do with the fact that I believe spin is very useful in the shorter formats of the game as it is harder to dispatch. 5 bowlers plus Gayle, Singh and Duminy means this team will beat any IPL or Stanford team that stands in its way.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Solail Tanvir > Umar Gul if you just want to include a Pakistan player.
Although there are better T20 quicks than both of them

pskov

International 12th Man
Andrew Symonds has to be in there. He averages over 50 in both domestic and international T20, with two centuries and a strike rate of 180.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Charl Langeveldt out, Umar Gul in, IMO.

Jayasuriya has to be in the playing XI. Batting SR of 154 and Bowling average of 19.8 are hard to argue against.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Shahid Afridi is worth a punt as a third spinner too. Bowling average of 18.47 and ER of 6.10. If he fires with the bat, its a bonus.

Something_Fishy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Solail Tanvir > Umar Gul if you just want to include a Pakistan player.
Although there are better T20 quicks than both of them
Disagree wholeheartedly. His antics in the IPL was impressive, no doubt, but it was a once-off. Umar Gul has proven himself in tighter (and more) matches and can bowl better yorkers, slower balls and has the results as well.

ret

International Debutant
From the IPL,

- Sehwag
- Gambhir
- KP
- Yuvi
- Symmo / Hussey
- Dhoni
- YK Pathan
- Flintoff
- Morkel
- Warne
- McGrath

Evermind

International Debutant
Symonds or Pietersen over Hussey. This batting lineup isn't going to be 7/4.

Hard to pick between Gilchurch and Dhoni. They're both huge hitters.

HMas

U19 12th Man
Gayle
Jayasuriya
Gilchrist
Pieterson
Afridi
Albie Morkel
Yousuf Pathan
Flintoff
Mendis
Gul
Bracken

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Vic Trumper
W. G. Grace
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Gilbert Jessop
Keith Miller
Les Ames (wk)
Dennis Lillee
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

Would smoke the listed teams in any format.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Chris Gayle
Matthew Hayden
Michael Hussey
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Symonds
Shane Watson
MS Dhoni (capt) (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Daniel Vettori
Nathan Bracken
Umar Gul

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
FFS, Jake Oram not mentioned until now.

1. C Gayle
2. B McCullum+
3. R Ponting
4. A Symonds
5. S Malik
6. Misbah-ul-Haq
7. J Oram
8. D Vettori
9. N Bracken
10. D Steyn
11. U Gul

12th. G Smith

Last edited:
I just wonder how the people are ignoring Misbah-ul-Haq and Sohail Tanveer. They both are proven best players ob T20. Misbah was best batsman of T20 world cup whereas Tanveer was best bowler of IPL.