• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Miller v Kallis

Who's the better Test Cricketer

• Total voters

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Wondering what a Sobers-Miller poll would look like...
Interesting actually, would probably be decided based on the preference between a batting all rounder and bowling all rounder, considering these two are the greatest representatives of each type.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Oh FFS. I'll settle this early to save 4.5 weeks of irrelevant and irrational dribble.

The square root of Kallis's pecker is apparently 7/8 of a millimetre longer than Miller's was when flaccid, thereby meaning, according to statsguru, that Kallis is more penetrative.

Of course, to counter-balance that argument, you have to take into account that Miller's strike rate, according to the statistics, was much better than Kallis' with the ladies, taking out of course his poor tour to England in 48 when he struggled against the swingers, meaning he couldn't really cope with top class opposition.

This despite several contemporaries rating Miller's efforts in the bedroom as good as any of all time.

But we discount that, because these stories are hero worship only and really don't reflect the lack of statistical domination on a warm afternoon in the WI in the mid-50s when apparently Keith was struggling to play "on the rise".

Of course, things are "easier" in the modern era, so we have to take a certain proportion of Kallis' otherwise excellent stats away to reflect this. There's no reason for that, we just do it because it suits our own argument.....

And of course, there's diversity involved here. Kallis has played in more countries, meaning Miller misses out there, because we can only assume he would have picked up as consistently well at those venues - we can't prove it,because there aren't the stats to back it up.

Besider, Miller's dead. His returns in later years were terrible - clearly a decline.

Blah Blah ****ing Blah.

And on it goes, backwards and forwards for as long as it takes everyone to realise that this argument is really no more than a few posters repeatedly playing with their OWN equipment.

Fin.
---
lokl. too funny
btw why do they take it so serious burgey?
early contender for post of the year.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Wondering what a Sobers-Miller poll would look like...
Quack Quack Oops. You get the booby prize for being the first one to mention Garry Sobers in this thread.

For the record there was one last year and it was closed after 31 pages with Sobers leading 31-6 with Ben Cousins also on 6 votes.

archie mac

International Coach
Kallis had the hotter female companion. Besides, I'm not entirely sure which team Miller was batting for, given his publicly stated preference for taking Messerschmitts up his arse.

Not that theres anything wrong with it.
I think Miller would be more upset with this then losing the cricket skills poll:-O

Miller can claim a princess:ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The draft threads are really interesting, enjoy reading them even when not participating

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The draft threads are really interesting, enjoy reading them even when not participating
Yeah Draft Threads are gun, any chance of a new Draft sub forum?

The Shark draft at the moment annoys me a bit though, it could have been the best draft yet, but it's too easy to keep on picking great players on the off chance they didn't get banned and not get punished enough.

Anyways.. Miller for mine.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

The Shark draft at the moment annoys me a bit though, it could have been the best draft yet, but it's too easy to keep on picking great players on the off chance they didn't get banned and not get punished enough.

Anyways.. Miller for mine.
I like the shark draft. Novel idea. Maybe next time it's run any rejected picks should be made at round 8 or something. I also think that if it was a post ww2 or post packer draft (thus limiting the players available) we'd see more variety.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
@ Dicko - Draft threads better than increasingly random X vs Y threads itbt
Disagree TBH. X v Y stuff that's completely meaningless is indeed boring, but there's been any number of really interesting comparisons down the months, as I've always said. In any case, they've been precious rarities the last 2-3 months. It was back midway through last year that there was a real surge in them.
Well I don't TBH. That's about all I can say.
If this draft stuff is proposed as a long-term thing, please please please could this get some consideration? Gets very tiresome (for me) to have 4 or 5 "draft" threads on the front page of CC and if what everyone has always said about most people not clicking on the little "2" at the bottom of the page is true, it also stymies discussion.

First thing is could someone involved in the thing tell me whether it's proposed as a long-term thing, 'cos if it is I'll air the suggestion somewhere where it's likely to get more attention than here.

gimmethebat

Cricket Spectator
Kallis

How does Millers 3,000 runs @ 37 compare with Kallis' 10,000 @ 54. He was almost certainly a better bowler with 170 wickets @ 23, compared to Kallis' 252 @ 31, but getting to 10,000 runs makes Kallis a legend of the game; and there are not that many bowlers who have taken 250 wickets either. You can easily make a case for Jacques Kallis to be the best all-rounder ever. The stats will stand up against anyone elses :cool:

thierry henry

International Coach
How does Millers 3,000 runs @ 37 compare with Kallis' 10,000 @ 54. He was almost certainly a better bowler with 170 wickets @ 23, compared to Kallis' 252 @ 31, but getting to 10,000 runs makes Kallis a legend of the game; and there are not that many bowlers who have taken 250 wickets either. You can easily make a case for Jacques Kallis to be the best all-rounder ever. The stats will stand up against anyone elses :cool:
:cool:

archie mac

International Coach

Well one lost six years to the war, and also played at a time where there were not so many Tests

thierry henry

International Coach
More to the point, statsguru is full of lies, if you just read some books about Miller you will suddenly realise that 3,000 runs at 37 is better than 10,000 at 54. Perhaps find some grainy old footage as well, then you'll know.

archie mac

International Coach
More to the point, statsguru is full of lies, if you just read some books about Miller you will suddenly realise that 3,000 runs at 37 is better than 10,000 at 54. Perhaps find some grainy old footage as well, then you'll know.
The poster mentioned the 10,000 runs as compared 3,000, I was making the point that KM lost six years and played in an era when Tests were quite rare, as compared to now:)

And now because they could not show KM in detaied close up colour like now, that means he could not bat?

Miller was not a professional cricketer and did not play the same way as Kallis, he would often get out or not try if he felt there was no point. Like the time Aust scored 700+ in a day and he let himself be bowled first ball saying "thank god that is over" and went back to read his form guide.

I have no problem with Kallis being a professional, in fact I have nothing but respect for the man, and think him a great player, but stats don't tell you everything

Never thought that being well read on a subject would have people cast stones at you8-)