• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6 day test matches?

anzac

International Debutant
rest days in Tests have only been dropped in the last decade or so from memory.......

another 'classic' rear guard defence for a drawn result - Mark Greatbatch v Aus in Perth some time back in the late '80's / early '90's. Batted for the best part of 3 days - possibly his finest Test moment.

if you really want to make Test cricket more competitive or achieve more results, the first steps in my mind are:

a - get rid of useless 2 match Test series - very little prospect for a result;

b - stop playing sooo many of these bloody Tri-angular ODI series;

c - play more tour matches against 'A' teams etc to allow Touring squads to actually develop players on tour, & talented local fringe players get a chance to strut their stuff.

I remember when ODI matches were the icing on the cake for a Test series / tour, now they seem to be the staple diet & Test matches seem to have become looked upon as a necessary evil - hence all these 2 Test Series to get the Tests over asap b4 moving onto 5 / 7 ODIs or a 3 match ODI series to be followed by another Tri-angular series!!!!

I know the economics show that the crowds / revenue are with ODIs & maybe I'm just showing my age, but I'm starting to really get ****ed off with all this ODI stuff!!!

I'm even begining to feel that the standard & cricket in these ODI series is begining to drop - not as many really good matches as b4. Could this be a similar story to the English Domestic comp situation - situation overkill?????

:!( :(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The problem with the longer Tour idea though Anzac is that the ICC plan doesn't allow the time for it as well as playing each other in the time-span allotted.

Although, does this still count with the changed ranking method to almost mirror NP?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The new Kendix/ICC system is heavily weighted to form and doesn't take the quality of opposition into account, so will favour whoever's just played Bangladesh and Zimbawe.

Marks for effort: 8/10
Marks for attainment: 2/10

Craig

World Traveller
I see the need for 6 day Tests. If you cant get a result in five days then there is somethign wrong (apart from rain and bad light and other interuptions).