• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst of Part Time bowling

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Incidentally, does anyone know of any non-keepers with significant FC/List A careers who've never bowled a ball in anger? None spring to mind.
It would be interesting to know that record - John Edrich only bowled 15 overs in a 22 year career and never took a wicket so he must have been pretty ordinary

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
One of the worst examples is the 1979 World Cup Final when England decided to play only four bowlers and get 12 overs out of Boycott/Gooch/Larkins - which went for over 80.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Michael Klinger immediately springs to mind for me because I noticed it a few days ago. :p
Ha, doesn't even have a nominal bowling style.

After I posted I remembered that actually CW's own Chris Taylor is a similarly untapped bowling resource, but he at least is accorded the honour of "Right-arm fast-medium" in his profile. One wonders how this is known, but hey.

EDIT: Oh, and happy birthday Chris! :)

fredfertang

I believe all players/clubs get a form to fill in each year for the Cricketer's Who's Who so they can't avoid it

I am told by someone who was loosely connected with the publication briefly that quite a few players don't take the questionnaire as seriously as they might but that sadly the publishers libel readers have never permitted an "alternative" version to be published

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I believe all players/clubs get a form to fill in each year for the Cricketer's Who's Who so they can't avoid it

I am told by someone who was loosely connected with the publication briefly that quite a few players don't take the questionnaire as seriously as they might but that sadly the publishers libel readers have never permitted an "alternative" version to be published
Ah, interesting. I think "fast-medium" is a tad rich for someone who seems a confirmed non-bowler tho.

As a tangentially related cricket publishing aside, if memory serves a player (Derbyshire spinner, possibly? Name escapes me) actually managed to get a picture of his exposed old fella into Wisden by surreptitiously whipping said organ out in the team photo. I can't believe I've imagined this. Would imagine the photographic proof reader was torn off a strip after.

fredfertang

It was Matt Brimson of Leicestershire in the 2000 edition who whipped out the old chap for the Almanack

fredfertang

..... but much more interestingly on page 1594 of the 2008 edition the name fredfertang appears (without an accompanying photograph I hasten to add)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, so it does.

"And thanks to Grimble, Fred Fertang and Westlake for their numerous entertaining posts on the discussion forum"

(Said forum being here) I trust said FF is yourself?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
..... but much more interestingly on page 1594 of the 2008 edition the name fredfertang appears (without an accompanying photograph I hasten to add)
Fred! You have an entry in the Bible! Better than "Jesus wept", I suppose. And so much more fitting.

(cue someone to post that picture of the blokes in boaters by the piano)