• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Were You A West Indies Fan in the 1970s and 80s?

DocMaker09

Cricket Spectator
I am writing from a Production Company making a documentary about the heyday of the West Indies cricket team from around 1975 to the end of the 1980s. We are looking for personal archive including photos and footage documenting the teams successes both in the UK and the Caribbean during this time including:

- West Indian fans travelling to grounds
- ..in the stands
- . outside the grounds celebrating (in bars / homes / on the streets)
- Action on the field
- Fans interacting with players (getting autographs / congratulating them etc.)

Any material included in the final film will obviously be licensed and paid for.

If you or someone you know may have photos or footage as such, it would be great if you could get in contact

T: 07910434529
E: georgec@passion-pictures.com

Many thanks!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unfortunately I wasn't born in the 1970s or more of the 1980s than not, but I'm certainly a fan of the team between '76 and '86. Always good to see more and more stuff I've not seen before from said period.

Mind, that applies to virtually any cricket.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unfortunately I wasn't born in the 1970s or more of the 1980s than not, but I'm certainly a fan of the team between '76 and '86. Always good to see more and more stuff I've not seen before from said period.

Mind, that applies to virtually any cricket.
That's not the same though, teams often seem warm and fluffy in hindsight but weren't popular at the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interestingly, West Indies' popularity with hindsight is considerable and there's no doubt some people have a slightly rose-tinted view of them, particularly compared to the Australian team of the last 20 years. Absolutely certainly, the invincibles of '76-'86 were less popular in their day than the invincibles of '62-'66/67.

However, I'm a fan of said latter invincibles (chronologically latter that is) purely because of the undoubted awesomeness of their play, not their niceness.

archie mac

International Coach
Sorry I have no footage or photos of them, I had one of myself with Mr. Garner when I was a lad but one of my ex-wifes never gave it back, and she hated cricket:@

They were a great team, although I was always an Aussie fan, and was very annoyed when other white kids born in Aust. jumped on the band wagon and use to give me **** for supporting 'a crap team like Australia' :laugh:

shivfan

Banned
Not in the 70s - I was too young then.
:happy:
I became interested during the drawn 1-1 series in Australia, listening on the radio, in 1981.

But I didn't go to a Test until 1983, when the WIndies produced a win out of a drawn game against India at Sabina Park. Been to many matches since then, but sadly I don't have any photos of the action....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1983 - the time when Malcolm Marshall went from being the best first-reserve in history to the best seamer in history.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not helping this feller out much, are we? CW tends to be a fairly young site.

Myself, I'm not old enough either but from what I gather of those who were, people liked watching them because they were awesome players and it was top-shelf cricket but the team was almost as disliked as the Aussie team of the late 90's/00's. Aside from the really popular players like Garner and Lloyd.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richards was popular in his own way as well. Many times it's been said how his batting transcended nationality and partisanship - even as he was smashing your own attack to all corners alongside Kallicharran \ Richardson \ Lloyd, many people still said they enjoyed watching it.

Can't say I've ever heard a bad word said about Dessie Haynes either. Or Malcolm Marshall, except maybe that he was occasionally a bit petulant early in his career.