• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
well this is where it gets tricky because for OD's anyway, NZ would struggle to find 2 or 3 at domestic level.
And this probably reflects why we're poor at ODI's and pretty good at tests.

I guess...Craig Cumming & Michael Papps.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:
Why would he need to? Stewart's batted at 7 recently, and I can't see Read (or Foster or whoever) batting any higher than that.
The difference being this is at 7 or 8 in the CC, indicating Kent don't necessarily rate his batting that highly...

Stewart's been a top order player for longer than some people on this board have been alive!

Bazza

International 12th Man
Who me? You're probably not wrong if that's what you meant, and I know there are plenty younger than me.

Anyway I see your point but he has been scoring runs consistently, and his average isn't inflated by not outs like alot of lower order players who may average 30-40 or more. Most wicketkeepers bat at 7 or 8 in CC, with obvious exceptions being the likes of Stewart. My point is he would at least be as good as Read or Foster or Wallace no? I think initially we need a solid keeper who can average 20-25 batting at 7 or 8. Then we can see if someone better comes along who can average 30 and bat at 6 for example.

Craig

World Traveller
Bazza said:
Who me? You're probably not wrong if that's what you meant, and I know there are plenty younger than me.

Anyway I see your point but he has been scoring runs consistently, and his average isn't inflated by not outs like alot of lower order players who may average 30-40 or more. Most wicketkeepers bat at 7 or 8 in CC, with obvious exceptions being the likes of Stewart. My point is he would at least be as good as Read or Foster or Wallace no? I think initially we need a solid keeper who can average 20-25 batting at 7 or 8. Then we can see if someone better comes along who can average 30 and bat at 6 for example.
And Read isnt?

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
The difference being this is at 7 or 8 in the CC, indicating Kent don't necessarily rate his batting that highly...
That isn't the case.

G Jones was bought into the side to be a like for like replacment for P Nixon, who himself a top batsman could only ever get as high as 6 in our order.

1 - CARBERRY - G Jones isn't a opener (AFAIK)
2 - KEY / FULTON - G Jones isn't a opener (AFAIK)
3 - SMITH - Consistanly in the 1,000 runs area each season
4 - BLEWETT / SYMONDS - I would like to see a debuting player knock a highly paid overseas player down the order
5 - WALKER - Verge of 1,000 runs each and every season
6 - EALHAM - M Ealham is a tried and tested batsman and scores consistanly for us
7 - JONES - Where else can I go, the only real option is to swap Ealham and Jones over but Ealham has had a good season so far as well.

There has however been talk of G Jones being tried as a opener for the One Day matches, so he must either have experiance OR they are basing the fact that being low in the order he faces the 2nd new ball (or nearly new) and has done rather well.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
OK come on guys, none of these guys have ever played 'DOMESTIC CRICKET IN NEW ZEALAND' so make a new thread.
Aswell as the fact that there is already a Geraint Jones or whatever his name is thread.

anzac

International Debutant
Tamara said:
You were part of the police???? I have dreamed about it since i was about 12...

There is no age restriction however they prefer you over 21 in NZ however they have just taken a 17 year old in.. I am got to uni first though.
yep - 10 yrs in uniform from '80 - '90. went in as a Cadet but they shut the program down after '81 I think & were only taking recruits from 19 - 35 yrs.

I have been here since '94 so I hadn't heard they were recruiting younger - but you are on the right track going to uni first - not only can it help you with credits for promotion later in your career but it also gives you a more 'balanced' appreciation of life during your future career.

Anyway I wish you all the best...... and now back to the cricket..

:)