• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allen Stanford Arrested and Charged with Fraud

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Actually, i don't think cricketers (or any sportsmen) should be exempt from having to get a real job like the rest of us if their sporting skills alone won't support them.
Well, the problem is that trying for an elite level sport demands almost full attention from a young age usually. If you make it, great. If you don't, you might have essentially wasted a very important part of your life. I don't think they should be exempt either, but if you want elite sportsmen in any field, you'll have to have hundreds of these people making that sport their ultimate goal, and a few of them will get to the top. That comes hand in hand with any sport. Thing about cricket, unlike some other sports, is that even if you reach the absolute highest level, there is still a good chance that you won't make much money (unless you're in the top 3-4 countries), so you have something that requires 15 years of life at the highest level and absolute dedication, and just when everyone else is hitting their earning prime, you've got nothing except being able to bowl at 80mph. It won't buy you groceries.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I doubt he can stay "missing" for long. Surely his grinning face will turn up in a group of women half his age soon.

Craig

World Traveller
The most important thing is, why hasn't the ICL and/or the BCCI been blamed for the arrest of Mr Stanford? :ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The most important thing is, why hasn't the ICL and/or the BCCI been blamed for the arrest of Mr Stanford? :ph34r:
Probably because no one's pointed out this thread to haroon510 yet :ph34r:

EDIT: Just realised who started this thread. Mods, IP check on the OP to rule out a hacked account, please :p

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting article

I thought after the first sentence Haigh was going to compare Stanford to Sir Julien Cahn who bankrolled his own XI between the wars and who supported Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire in various, hugely expensive, ways

Unlike in Mr Stanford's case there can be no doubt Cahn's cash was his own (he had a successful furniture business which exploited hire purchase when it was much less regulated than it is today) although his business methods may not have been considered very attractive in the 21st century.

Cahn, who acquired a baronetcy (which in fairness to him by virtue of its timing must ultimately have been as a result of his many philanthropic acts) was, apparently, known to both Horatio Bottomley and Maundy Gregory the latter of whom is the only man ever convicted of selling honours and the former of whom was one of the most accomplished confidence tricksters of his day.

My point being that the Cricketing Establishment does have previous for courting folk with large piles of cash without asking too many difficult questions

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, the problem is that trying for an elite level sport demands almost full attention from a young age usually. If you make it, great. If you don't, you might have essentially wasted a very important part of your life. I don't think they should be exempt either, but if you want elite sportsmen in any field, you'll have to have hundreds of these people making that sport their ultimate goal, and a few of them will get to the top. That comes hand in hand with any sport. Thing about cricket, unlike some other sports, is that even if you reach the absolute highest level, there is still a good chance that you won't make much money (unless you're in the top 3-4 countries), so you have something that requires 15 years of life at the highest level and absolute dedication, and just when everyone else is hitting their earning prime, you've got nothing except being able to bowl at 80mph. It won't buy you groceries.
Yeah, and I have no sympathy whatsoever for that. It's no different from me spending ten years desperately trying to qualify as a doctor and failing, so getting a civil service job instead. If someone's sporting skills can support them financially that's a massive bonus to them, if it doesn't then they're in the same position as everyone else.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd suggest everyone takes a step back from uncritically accepting everything that's being spoon-fed to us by the media.

There has already been some wonderful mis-reporting of the case, as ever. The latest reports directly contradict the ones that have been made everywhere including on this thread. They suggest that:

(1) Contrary to what's been reported in just about every media outlet, Stanford has not been "charged with fraud". He's not been charged with any criminal offence at all.

(2) He evidently wasn't "missing", as widely reported, after all. Otherwise how was he served with papers in the civil lawsuit as is now being reported?

The only matters for which we can confidently pronounce his guilt at this stage are possession of a dodgy moustache and a very poor taste in cricketing formats.

bryce

International Regular
In some official US report it basically implied that he was involved with some sort of Ponzi scheme - and the returns he offered in the particular scheme(s) were labelled by an expert as "improbable and impossible".
More here

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
The only matters for which we can confidently pronounce his guilt at this stage are possession of a dodgy moustache and a very poor taste in cricketing formats.
Walks like a douchebag, talks like a douchebag, is a douchebag:dry:

You seem to have forgotten the billions of unaccounted dollars?? Small clerical mistake perhaps??:laugh:

And maybe the reason why he had not been charged as yet is because he was on the run.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
You really couldnt make this up could you.

The IPL must be absolutely loving this. Gives the ECB pretty much nowhere else to run. How long till we see England players missing Test matches to play in the IPL? :@

On another note. How long until Giles Clarke resigns? I'm surprised he's lasted this long. To put the ECB in the position he has is unforgiveable and he surely has to go?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ever met anyone who was actually there that thinks it was bad for West Indian cricket?
So handing out money left, right and centre for a bunch of Twenty20 games is good for cricket? It's freaking ridiculous.

howardj

International Coach
If he has ruined the lives of so many hard working innocent people (like those who work in the bank) then IMO he should not have another second of freedom again.

And I had to laugh at the irony of this photo:

Never trust a man who tucks his tshirt/polo in.

A business shirt, into your business pants, is the only exception to the do not tuck in rule.

Last edited: