• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International Cricketers of Indian Origin

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
Researching for an article, I have compiled quite a large list here. Will appreciate if we could :

- add names I may have missed out
- discuss Larry Gomes, is it true?
- Indian fans: do you wish any cricketer from here played for India ??
- select the best "Indian Origin XI"

England
* Ravi Bopara
* Nasser Hussain
* Ronnie Irani
* Monty Panesar
* Mark Ramprakash
* Vikram Solanki
* Samit Patel

Canada
* Ashish Bagai
* Haninder Dhillon
* Sandeep Jyoti
* Asif Mulla
* Mohsin Mulla
* Ashish Patel
* Durand Soraine

Kenya
* Dipak Chudasama
* Sandip Gupta
* Aasif Karim
* Tanmay Mishra
* Hitesh Modi
* Brijal Patel

New Zealand
* Dipak Patel
* Jeetan Patel

South Africa
* Hashim Amla
* Gulam Bodi

United Arab Emirates
* Shaukat Dukanwala
* Riaz Poonawala

West Indies
* Imtiaz Ali
* Inshan Ali
* Nyron Asgarali
* Faoud Bacchus
* Leonard Bachan
* Shivnarine Chanderpaul
* Sewnarine Chattergoon
* Narsingh Deonarine
* Rajindra Dhanraj
* Daren Ganga
* Raphick Jumadeen
* Alvin Kallicharran
* Rohan Kanhai
* Ivan Madray
* Larry Gomes
* Dave Mohammed
* Mahendra Nagamootoo
* Rangy Nanan
* Ramnaresh Sarwan
* Charran Singh
* Suruj Ragoonath
* Sonny Ramadhin
* Denesh Ramdin
* Ryan Ramdass
* Dinanath Ramnarine
* Ravi Rampaul
* Sew Shivnarine

Zimbabwe
* Ujesh Ranchod
* Dion Ebrahim

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
And how far back do we go with people of mixed race?

Is one Indian parent enough to qualify?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, be interested to work out what "Indian origin" means. Is it they themselves were born in India, or that they have at least one parent that was born in India, or simply that they have at some stage in their heritage ancestors who were from India?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ranji, Duleep and Jardine are three that spring instantly to mind for England.
Nawab of Pataudi
I'm sure there was another in the early 1960's whose name escaps me.

More recently, Aftab Habib may have been from Indian stock. Min Patel certainly is.

EDIT
The guy from the early 1960's was Raman Subba Row, but I don't know about his orgins. He was born in Streatham, but I would think that at least one of his parents was born overseas.

Last edited:

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah, be interested to work out what "Indian origin" means. Is it they themselves were born in India, or that they have at least one parent that was born in India, or simply that they have at some stage in their heritage ancestors who were from India?
for me this should be fine

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If you make it that broad though, the category would be pretty meaningless. We all have ancestors from Africa at some point in the past, that doesn't mean I would be properly classified as someone of 'Ethiopian origin'.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Seperate but related, why does such a things as "Anglo-Indian" need to be defined in the Indian constitution?

Article 366(2) of the Indian Constitution defines an Anglo-Indian as "a person whose father or any of whose other male progenitors in the male line is or was of European descent but who is domiciled within the territory of India and is or was born within such territory of parents habitually resident therein and not established there for temporary purposes only".

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Seperate but related, why does such a things as "Anglo-Indian" need to be defined in the Indian constitution?

Article 366(2) of the Indian Constitution defines an Anglo-Indian as "a person whose father or any of whose other male progenitors in the male line is or was of European descent but who is domiciled within the territory of India and is or was born within such territory of parents habitually resident therein and not established there for temporary purposes only".
Yeah I'm Anglo Indian, and I find that ****ed up.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Because there are 2 seats reserved for Anglo-Indians in the lower house of parliament. You'd need to state the eligibility criteria for those seats.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I guess it depends how one defines "Indian origin". Quite a few English cricketers of European ancestry were born in India during the Raj. Off the top of my head I can think of Cowdrey, Woolmer & Jackman to go with DRJ who Sean had previously mentioned. They'd all be eligible to have played for India, anyway.

WRT Anglo-Indians, Roger Binny is the only one I can think of who's played for India.

Also, I think I remember reading that Stu Clark's folks are Indian-born too?

pskov

International 12th Man
Not neccesarily sure of what the point of this thread is, tbh. If you use the very broad definition you have here then you can basically divide anyone who's ever played test cricket into either of Indian origin or of British origin apart from the West Indies and, depending on what you define as Indian origin, Sri Lanka.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess it depends how one defines "Indian origin". Quite a few English cricketers of European ancestry were born in India during the Raj. Off the top of my head I can think of Cowdrey, Woolmer & Jackman to go with DRJ who Sean had previously mentioned. They'd all be eligible to have played for India, anyway.

WRT Anglo-Indians, Roger Binny is the only one I can think of who's played for India.

Also, I think I remember reading that Stu Clark's folks are Indian-born too?
They're English-born IIRC. They met in India though.