I came upon the following on the Notts Leagues website yesterday and have tried to help.
Unfortunately, it appears as though no-one else is willing to help (no other replies on the Notts site). Just post your replies in this thread, then I will send them to her. Come on - we've ALL got an opinion on this, so fire away. Let's have 30 responses to this.
Author: Laura Tucker
Date: 22-06-03 00:24
I was wondering if anybody could help me, please…
I’ve just embarked on my A level media course which requires research into a topic of your choice, and sticking to what I know, I’ve taken on ‘Sport And The Media’. Still staying with what I know, I’m focusing on cricket (possibly with an emphasis on Twenty20 and technology in cricket).
I was wondering what the fans thought about the relationships between cricket and the media, whether these opinions differed depending on what county you supported and whether the fans thought media was helping or hindering the game.
· What do you think about the coverage that the media (television, radio, internet, press, etc) gives to cricket? Is there too much or too little? Is it of a decent standard or does it differ depending on your sources?
· Is the media’s involvement in the game good or bad for cricket? Is media going to be the medium through which a new generation of fans become hooked on the game, or is the media taking the tradition out of the sport?
· What are your feelings on the use of technology (new media) in the game? Should cricket remain traditional or is there a need for things such as ‘Hawkeye’, the stump cam/mic and the 3rd umpire and their replays etc? Have these inventions enhanced your enjoyment of the game? What about non-essential items such as Sky’s ‘Man With A Mic’?
· Is Twenty20 really a way to increase the profile of the game amongst younger people or is it a way of making more money from increased media coverage?
· What about the commentary that radio/television has? Are there any particular favourites/people to avoid? Do you like players taking part in coverage of matches either as guests or presenting as Ian Ward does?
These aren’t my personal opinions but things that I’ve thought of which could be starting points for your ideas but I’d love to hear some of your general feelings on the topic too.
Thanks for any help that you could give.