Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Collingwood: Statistical Anomoly

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    18,989

    Collingwood: Statistical Anomoly

    This has possibly been brought up before but just having a discussion about Collingwood with my dad, who's not a fan and he was saying he scores all his runs when we lose...so i looked it up and its actually quite interesting.

    Collingwood averages 38.00 with only 1 century when England win and 41.75 with 3 centuries when we lose. Now is this a bad thing or a good thing?

    By comparison there are only 2 batsmen who have debuted for England since 1989 that have averaged more in losses and they are Mark Ramprakash(22.15/25.95) and Nick Knight(17 tests, 17.4/19.00)

    The others (haven't looked at guys who played a couple of tests)

    Atherton (40.10/35.66)
    Hussain (43.27/31.09)
    Stewart (44.94/29.93)
    Hick (30.33/26.34)
    Thorpe (62.62/29.48)
    Crawley (39.81/30.46)
    Butcher (44.88/23.34)
    Flintoff (40.78/26.61)
    Vaughan(38.08/33.30)
    Trescothick (47.60/36.67)
    Key(43.25/22.90)
    Jones (22.10/16.44)
    Strauss(49.26/28.68)
    Bell(43/34.38)
    Pietersen (54.92/36.65)
    Cook (44.05/24.03)
    Prior (44.25/33)


    Colly obviously isn't good company with Mark and Nick, and England's best batsman (at least before KP) has a massive difference between the two.

    Is there any other batsmen around the world with similar anomolies to Collingwood? Any older English players ?( I stopped with Atherton)
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

  2. #2
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,663
    The freak Adelaide test probably just skews it tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    18,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The freak Adelaide test probably just skews it tbh.
    Yeah it does, changes it to 38/36, though thats still closer than all the others mentioned

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,144
    Noticed that the other day when looking at England's batting stats in depth.

    One other interesting stat I noticed is the averages for each match innings. With 1 exception, England's batters are better in innings 1 and 3 in the match ie when they bat first, perhaps suggesting a collective mental bloc about chasing totals rather than setting them.

    The 1 exception, bizzarely, is Ian Bell.


  5. #5
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Noticed that the other day when looking at England's batting stats in depth.

    One other interesting stat I noticed is the averages for each match innings. With 1 exception, England's batters are better in innings 1 and 3 in the match ie when they bat first, perhaps suggesting a collective mental bloc about chasing totals rather than setting them.

    The 1 exception, bizzarely, is Ian Bell.
    Although 2nd and 4th innings scores would naturally be lower, due to the deteriorating pitch?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,144
    Possibly.

    It did strike me as odd that every England batsmen bar Bell averages more in the 1st than the 2nd innings, and the 3rd rather than the 4th.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,553
    Thought you meant the football team.....
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  8. #8
    International Regular bryce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Hamilton,NZ
    Posts
    3,370
    Hard to say if it is a good or a bad thing - but it does show he is a good player to have in the side because he performs when the pressure is very much on
    ODI XI to match the best
    1.Ryder
    2.McCullum+
    3.Guptill
    4.Taylor
    5.Broom
    6.Oram
    7.Elliott
    8.Vettori*
    9.Mills
    10.Southee
    11.Bond
    ringaz_ride@hotmail.com
    To answer your question, yes
    Thanks?
    METEORIC RISE ?

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    18,989
    Guess you could also say that the statistics show Collingwood's performance has little or no effect on the course of the match. Which is probably a bit harsh

  10. #10
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    It could be argued that perhaps Collingwood bats too low down the order, and therefore his big innings tend to involve rescuing England from a potential collapse, rather than firing them to a match-winning total. Obviously there are exceptions, though.

    It shows that Colly performs when the pressure's on, but the reason I'm an advocate of Ian Bell is that you also need players in your team who can hammer home the advantage when the pressure's not on. Clearly Colly needs a certain amount of pressure to perform.

  11. #11
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    It could be argued that perhaps Collingwood bats too low down the order, and therefore his big innings tend to involve rescuing England from a potential collapse, rather than firing them to a match-winning total. Obviously there are exceptions, though.

    It shows that Colly performs when the pressure's on, but the reason I'm an advocate of Ian Bell is that you also need players in your team who can hammer home the advantage when the pressure's not on. Clearly Colly needs a certain amount of pressure to perform.
    I agree with it to some extent, Collingwood imo is England' second most reliable batsman in test cricket after Pietersen, you can back him most of the times to hang in there and get the job done, you won't see him chucking his wicket away playing lose shots.

    So he is a very good cricketer to have, who can grit it out in a tough situation to score runs, but he is not necessarily a match-winner, he can contribute to the cause of a side greatly, but he is just not a bloke who would be able to pull-off a game for his side all on his own.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Guess you could also say that the statistics show Collingwood's performance has little or no effect on the course of the match. Which is probably a bit harsh
    I'd simply say that the cookie has crumbled the way that happens, by chance, to have meant that the bowlers (and other batsmen) were poor enough to mean that on the occasions Collingwood scored England still lost.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  13. #13
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'd simply say that the cookie has crumbled the way that happens, by chance, to have meant that the bowlers (and other batsmen) were poor enough to mean that on the occasions Collingwood scored England still lost.
    Yeah - it's not as if he was scoring cheap runs when the pressure was off because the game was already up. Not that I can remember, anyway.

  14. #14
    International Regular bryce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Hamilton,NZ
    Posts
    3,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    It could be argued that perhaps Collingwood bats too low down the order
    Coupled with the fact his Test average batting at number four is 56, your point is well supported

  15. #15
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    25 Grand Final losses, not an anomaly, just a club with a massive history of choking.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •