• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you rate Chris Gayle as a captain?

Do you rate Chris Gayle as a captain?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
As the thread states. But I don't mean as he is captain because there is no other viable option, but on the whole, compared to Daniel Vettori, Ricky Ponting, Graeme Smith, MS Dhoni etc. This is mainly for Tests, but you can include ODIs if you want.

GilchristFtw

Cricket Spectator
I rate Chris Gayle a fairly good captain in his decision making. Recently he has been in good form with the bat and leading from the front. Although Gayle doesn't have to many batting options, they rely alot on Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Yes. Probably not as good as Dhoni, Smith and Vettori, but the West Indies' results have definitely been improving since he's been captain and you can see his players definitely respect him. Also has been leading from the front as well recently

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He looks promising. He's certainly not perfect yet - his captaincy yesterday was questionable, though not in respect of choosing to field but just generally being uninspired in his field-settings and bowling use.

But he's done plenty right in a relatively short career so far.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah he seemed pretty good in NZ, although he keeps it pretty simple. I never really saw him talk to his bowlers much. He seems to be really well liked by all his players.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
he is very quiet for a captain he doesnt get upset or even pumped up, cool and calm, and west indies seemingly are enjoying their cricket under him so i vote Yes. so far so good

craigyc43

Cricket Spectator
The problem is it is too easy to say he is the best the Windies have got.....but i still believe he actually brings a sense of calm to the team due to his chilled out nature. And with all the young west indies players who go off the rails constantly i think his presence as captain is a good thing for their team.

I don't think he is up with the vettoris and smiths of this world 'yet'. But he is still new to the job, more to come yet i think

sammy2

Banned
He is a good captain, he really believes in his players and they all know that. He doesn't have unrealistic expectations, which allows his team mates to play within themselves. He doesn't think too deeply into his plans like ponting who waste hours talking to his bowlers and still lose. His status in team make it easier for players to respond to him, unlike lara who was already a legend. How do you play to make lara happy ? chris has an easier time making his team confident, he is a star player but in a way his team can vision themself shining like him.
Vettori is an asshole of a captain, I would not want to be playing for him. He expresses way toomuch dissapointment whenever NZ does badly, clearly he doesn't have realistic goals while sitting at the bottom of the rankings. Smith is successful but I don't he is inspirational at all, just a plain boring captain. He never looks like he is in charge, just lucky he has talented players backing him up. Dhoni, he is another asshole, I have no respect for him because of his overate cheating. He is leading a team that believes they are bigger than cricket itself, very selfish putting personal milestones ahead of the spirit of cricket.

pup11

International Coach
I think Gayle really isn't much of a tactician, but still he seems to succeed in bringing out the best out of his players, there seems to a lot more spunk in the current West Indian side under his leadership.

I think that's a very unique and good ability for a captain to have, and he certainly is the right man for the job for West Indies atm, captaincy seems to have also effected his batting in a positive way, which is another good thing for West Indian cricket.

pup11

International Coach
No fine leg for any bowler :blink:

Why not just say: "Here batsman, have a boundary or three through that area. It's on the house."
He is probably a bloke who likes to see fine leg(s) open...:ph34r:

yeah,yeah... i know that's a bad one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With the disappearence of Tino Best from the team, the archetype has been scratched pretty much, anyway.

Even Suliemann Benn seems to be a good boy these days.

craigyc43

Cricket Spectator
Actually the guy who seems to do that most often, Daren Powell, doesn't have the excuse of being young!
Haha yeh true! Fair point well made. I really don't know how this guy still makes their team. When he played a bit for Hampshire season before last including at Lords he was very poor. Has a bit of pace but nothing much else, especially not a brain