• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jumping the Shark Draft

Matt79

Global Moderator
same feelings here...I always felt that Murali, O'Reilly, Warne and Grimmett are way above the other spinners...probably a bit of ignorance about cricket history from some posters here...
Because someone disagreeing with you can only be due to ignorance...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Was going to go for Laker if I had a chance in round 2 or 3. Thought for sure he would have missed the cut. Shocked tbh, especially with Grimmett missing the cut.

Oh well that nature of game I guess.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was going to go for Laker if I had a chance in round 2 or 3. Thought for sure he would have missed the cut. Shocked tbh, especially with Grimmett missing the cut.

Oh well that nature of game I guess.
Yeah this makes me think that some are the games greatest players were overlooked cause we all thought someone else will nominate him.

I've gone for all good players so to be safe some of you should pick average players to avoid nominating a banned player. :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah this makes me think that some are the games greatest players were overlooked cause we all thought someone else will nominate him.

I've gone for all good players so to be safe some of you should pick average players to avoid nominating a banned player. :)
If you sit down and list off the 30 top cricketers, you quickly realize you can't fit all the great players in the list. There are lots of very good players who missed the cut.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you sit down and list off the 30 top cricketers, you quickly realize you can't fit all the great players in the list. There are lots of very good players who missed the cut.
Of course. There is a hundred years of history. That means an average of only three players per decade will make the cut.

I mean you can name probably half a dozen great players just from the 80s. Obviously not everyone who is a champion is going to be picked :laugh:

stephen

Same. My fifteen players are the fifteen who I think are probably some of the best players in history. All of them deserve to be there.

99*

International Debutant
TBH I completely forgot about Grimmett while I was doing my list. Being a batsman caused my list to be a bit batsmen heavy I feel.

stephen

TBH I completely forgot about Grimmett while I was doing my list. Being a batsman caused my list to be a bit batsmen heavy I feel.
That's alright though, we needed enough variety in the lists to ensure that 31 players ended up picked :laugh:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm quite certain all the people taking part know all about Grimmett and how his record compares to Laker's.
That's why I believed what NUFAN said to be true...Part of tactics for some, you know...Otherwise I bet it wouldn't have been like this...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Here you go, Matt79...I won't call it ignorance though, absent-mindedness it was (that happens to everyone)...Still my point holds...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think since I am not taking part in this draft, it won't be unfair for me to say whom I chose as the 15 best players since WWI in the mail sent to Matt79, and the rationale behind it. No, I absolutely didn't use any tactics here (as they might backfire at times, ask NUFAN :) ), and I chose the 15 players whom I would have chosen (more or less) if I had to make a 15 member squad -

UNDRAFTED PLAYERS GALORE!

If the post-WWI constraint was not there, I might have chosen Barnes in place of UNDRAFTED SEAM BOWLER.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Julien's 12 hours expired about an hour ago. Jamee is up - he emailed me his next selection earlier.

Jamee takes Waqar Younis.

Somerset is up, with Julien to push in whenever he is next online.