• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jumping the Shark Draft

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sorry, got my computer hooked up last night, and was starting the post when my son woke up. Three hours later when I got him settled again, it was way too late.

CWs version of Chinese Democracy will get done tonight!

Matt79

Global Moderator
As long promised, here's the collated list of who was banned, with how many votes each person received.

I've ranked them, with the top 31 vote getters being those who were banned. Viv Richards was placed in 11th, and was hence available in rounds 9-10, despite tying with Marshall, McGrath and Tendulkar, who also received 6 votes. Viv was the one to miss out on top 10, via a random selection on random.org. Similarly, there were many players who received only one vote, but only room for one of those players in the top 31, and Bill O'Reilly was selected at random from that list via random.org. These two are marked with an asterix on the list.

Code:
Rank	Name		Votes
=1	Bradman	        9
=1	Sobers	        9
=3	Murali	        8
=3	Warne	        8
=5	Gilchrist	7
=5	Hadlee  	7
=5	Miller	        7
=8	Marshall	6
=8	McGrath	        6
=8	Tendulkar	6

11	Richards, Viv	6*
12	Hobbs	        5
13	Imran	        4
=14	Flower, Andy	3
=14	Hutton	        3
=14	Kapil Dev	3
=14	Lara	        3
=14	Lillee	        3
=14	Sangakarra	3
=14	Sutcliffe	3
=21	Akram	        2
=21	Border	        2
=21	Donald	        2
=21	Gavaskar	2
=21	Hayden	        2
=21	Laker	        2
=21	Lindwall	2
=21	Pollock, G	2
=21	Richards, Barry	2
=21	Walsh	        2
31	O'Reilly	1*

=32	Ambrose	        1
=32	Ames	        1
=32	Barrington	1
=32	Chappell, Greg	1
=32	Crowe	        1
=32	Greenidge	1
=32	Hammond	        1
=32	Headley	        1
=32	Kumble	        1
=32	Miandad	        1
=32	Pollock, S	1
=32	Procter	        1
=32	Steyn	        1
=32	Trueman	        1
=32	Walcott	        1
=32	Davidson	1
=32	Grimmett	1
=32	Kallis	        1
=32	Morris	        1
=32	Tallon	        1

Matt79

Global Moderator
Interestingly enough, possibly by process of elimination by you guys, the ten guys taken in round 11 were the top ten. I was wondering if, and kinda hoping, that team balance issues might see one of those guys slip through, ie. someone gets to the last couple of picks, knows that Marshall, Warne and McGrath are available, but needs a keeper and hence foregos them.

Laker and Walsh were the banned players who weren't taken in the first 11 rounds - both were swapped in in round 12. Allan Donald looked like he might miss out, although Somerset would have taken him in round 10 if he wasn't being speculative.

Ambrose was the only non-banned player taken in rounds 9 and 10 - I reckon people thought he would be banned?

Steyn and Don Tallon were the only vote getters not to get picked by anyone.

I was particularly surprised that Hammond, Kallis and Headley weren't banned. It's easier to say who should be in as opposed to who should make way for them, but I'd have those three comfortably ahead of Border, Walsh and probably Barry Richards (given he only played 4 tests, but I suppose as an opener he might have been a strategic nomination for a couple of people). Similarly surprised that Ponting, Waugh and Dravid all failed to attract a single vote Finally, couldn't believe Imran and Hobbs weren't in the top ten. Hobbs is the second best batsman of all time IMO, so I'd have him in ahead of Sachin, but I'd probably have dropped Miller just for Imran.

Last edited: