• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jumping the Shark Draft

Matt79

Global Moderator
that's ten by my count. I think we want 15 players from each drafter for banned list. If people can email them to:
matt79cric(at)hotmail(dot)com

I'll post the final rules etc once i've got my kids to bed.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Mine sent also.

I have no idea who I'm going to pick in this comp. If the selector goes to the end of the line, what happens if their next pick is another one of the 31 Banned Players??

Matt79

Global Moderator
Thanks, got four sets of players so far - very interesting reading to date.

To clarify a couple of questions. The main point of confusion is around what happens if you pick a banned player. I've never done this kind of draft before either, and am happy to take suggestions on the fine detail if people see a problem with what I'm proposing, but I had in mind the following:
- as someone pointed out, I'm not going to be online 24/7 vetting each individual pick,

- my preference would be to once, or at most twice a day come on and confirm or reject picks.

- I thought it would cool to do it at the end of each round. At the end of each round, I confirm which picks are ok, and which are rejected. The rejected picks are then redone in the same order they were made.

- I take the point about the penalty being disproportionate if you picked first and get shuffled, in effect 10 picks down, compared to if you are last and potentially, don't get demoted any picks at all if you're the only one to go for a banned player.

- An alternative would then be to have a set number of picks you're demoted, Jamee's suggestion of 5 is probably sensible. The disadvantage with this is that the rounds will get jumbled a bit, and it might be more prone to delay while I'm not online. I'm happy to go with the consensus on this point.

- The question was asked "what if the replacement player I pick after having a pick rejected is also banned". I think people should get one free go if they've already been demoted once, but if they pick a third banned player in a row, they are demoted to the end of the following round/another 5 picks.
So pick 1 - reject - demoted.
Pick 2 - rejected - immediate repick.
Pick 3 - rejected - demoted again.
I think immediately extra demotion is a bit harsh, but if people have crapped out twice, they probably really want to think carefully before going with a 'risky' selection again.

- I think the reverse serpentine will work well, with it being redrawn after every two rounds. This should avoid, barring extraordinary luck, the same person having first pick in both round 9 and round 11, as successive waves of players are unbanned.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Would it be easy to post the banned players at the start and then we pick other guys. Does really make sense just picking guys and then they all get banned. Would most of guys in the first couple rounds of these drafts all be banned.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It would be easier, but less fun IMO. It will be a strategic decision for each drafter how much they want to play risky going for guys they think are probably banned, vs. getting people they're keen on and think should be available.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Potentially. But even though you were now making your picks in round 9, when all players are unbanned, you'd still be prohibited in taking any of the banned players with any picks that were originally from before round 9 - yes, I can see where you were going with that...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
When do you catch up on your missed picks then. At the end of draft or in next rounds. Could you end up with like 11 picks in a row.

Matt79

Global Moderator
My thoughts are that it goes like this, for instance:
1.01 Stephen - Pick Accepted
1.02 Chaminda_00 - Pick Rejected
1.03 Mister Wright - Pick Accepted
1.04 99* - Pick Rejected
1.05 Jamee999 - Accepted
1.06 Julian87 - Accepted
1.07 Samuel_Vimes - Accepted
1.08 NUFAN - Rejected
1.09 Somerset - Rejected
1.10 Michaelf7^7 - Accepted
1x.01 Chaminda - Rejected second time
1x.02 99* - Accepted
1x.03 Nufan - Accepted
1x.04 Somerset - Rejected second time
1x.05 Chaminda - Rejected third time Demoted to 2x.01
1x.06 Somerset - Accepted.

2.01 Michael - Accepted
2.02 Somerset - Accepted
2.03 Nufan - Accepted
2.04 Vimesy - Accepted
2.05 Julian87 - Accepted
2.06 Jamee - Rejected
2.07 99* - Accepted
2.08 Mister Wright - Accepted
2.09 Chaminda - Rejected
2.10 Stephen - Accepted
2x.01 - Chaminda's carry over pick - Rejected
2x.02 - Jamee - Rejected
2x.03 - Chaminda's round 2 pick - Accepted (finally)
2x.04 - Chaminda's carry over pick - Rejected - Demoted to 3x.01
2x.05 - Jamee - Accepted

etc.

If a selection from round 8 or before is deferred until one of the last three rounds, it still can only be used to pick a player that is not on the banned list.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sounds good Matt, I wouldn't mind though if a player has been rejected 3 times in a row, you do something like a Statsguru random 30 entries search and the person has to pick one of those 30? You don't want the 31 names revealed too early and people who pick them consistently should be punished a lot IMO.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Might keep that up the sleave for people who consistently are getting demoted or a pick that gets demoted more than once. Especially at first, people could quite easily inadvertently crap out three times.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Still only got the four sets of nominations. Heading to bed now, so hopefully we can kick off tomorrow night.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
What we could do is call the round 11, then the re-picks 11A (then the re-re-picks 11B :p) just to avoid confusion.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Still waiting for nominations for banned players from:
Chaminda_00
Michael7s
Somerset
Vimes
Julian87

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I want to give it a go. Can I get a chance if I send the mail before the players who haven't sent yet? Or, can we get one more drafter?

Last edited: