• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jumping the Shark Draft

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yet Donald and Akram get picked. :@

I know, also three was always going to be round where everyone would test the waters with fringe banned players as there not as many top line players that are clearly not going to be banned.
Akram is quite understandable, so is the exclusion of Botham. Even if one chooses 3 allrounders among top 15, they are likely to be Sobers, Miller and Imran; so there's every chance of Botham not being picked by many (especially those who made a 15 member squad to select best 15 players)...But there might be some who have chosen Akram because of variety (afterall he is arguably the best left handed fast bowler)...Donald is one which I couldn't understand, probably there might be some like Jamee who would choose a truckload of fast bowlers among top 15 cricketers (7 to 9, maybe), and one might consider Donald among top 10 fast bowlers...But then if Donald then why not Trueman...

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks, got four sets of players so far - very interesting reading to date.

To clarify a couple of questions. The main point of confusion is around what happens if you pick a banned player. I've never done this kind of draft before either, and am happy to take suggestions on the fine detail if people see a problem with what I'm proposing, but I had in mind the following:
- as someone pointed out, I'm not going to be online 24/7 vetting each individual pick,

- my preference would be to once, or at most twice a day come on and confirm or reject picks.

- I thought it would cool to do it at the end of each round. At the end of each round, I confirm which picks are ok, and which are rejected. The rejected picks are then redone in the same order they were made.

- I take the point about the penalty being disproportionate if you picked first and get shuffled, in effect 10 picks down, compared to if you are last and potentially, don't get demoted any picks at all if you're the only one to go for a banned player.

- An alternative would then be to have a set number of picks you're demoted, Jamee's suggestion of 5 is probably sensible. The disadvantage with this is that the rounds will get jumbled a bit, and it might be more prone to delay while I'm not online. I'm happy to go with the consensus on this point.

- The question was asked "what if the replacement player I pick after having a pick rejected is also banned". I think people should get one free go if they've already been demoted once, but if they pick a third banned player in a row, they are demoted to the end of the following round/another 5 picks.
So pick 1 - reject - demoted.
Pick 2 - rejected - immediate repick.
Pick 3 - rejected - demoted again.
I think immediately extra demotion is a bit harsh, but if people have crapped out twice, they probably really want to think carefully before going with a 'risky' selection again.

- I think the reverse serpentine will work well, with it being redrawn after every two rounds. This should avoid, barring extraordinary luck, the same person having first pick in both round 9 and round 11, as successive waves of players are unbanned.
From page 2

Matt79

Global Moderator
Order for Round 5 (reversed for round 6)
Nufan
Stephen
Chaminda
Mr Wright
Somerset
Vimes
Julien87
Jamee
Michael7s
99*

stephen

Code:
Pick	Drafter	           Selection	        Accepted?
1.01	Chaminda_00	   Joel Garner	        Accepted
1.02	Mr Wright	   Shoaib Akhtar	Accepted
1.03	99*	           Shaun Pollock	Accepted
1.04	Stephen	           Alan Davidson	Accepted
1.05	Somerset	   Kevin Pietersen	Accepted
1.06	Jamee	           Fred Trueman	        Accepted
1.07	Julian87	   Clarrie Grimmett     Accepted
1.08	Samuel Vimes	   Geoffrey Boycott     Accepted
1.09	Michael7s	   Ray Lindwall	        Rejected
1.10	Nufan	           Jim Laker	        Rejected
1a.01	Michael7s(2nd att) Richie Benaud	Accepted
1a.02	Nufan (2nd att)	   Alec Bedser	        Accepted

2.01	Nufan	           Javed Miandad	Accepted
2.02	Michael7s	   Sid Barnes	        Accepted
2.03	Samuel Vimes	   Michael Holding	Accepted
2.04	Julian87	   Steve Waugh	        Accepted
2.05	Jamee	           Waqar Younis	        Accepted
2.06	Somerset	   Graeme Pollock	Rejected
2.07	Stephen	           Bill O'Reilly	Rejected
2.08	99*	           Glenn McGrath	Rejected
2.09	Mr Wright	   Dean Jones	        Accepted
2.10	Chaminda_00	   Wasim Akram	        Rejected
2a.01	Somerset	   Len Hutton	        Rejected
2a.02	Stephen	           Anil Kumble	        Accepted
2a.03	99*	           Adam Gilchrist	Rejected
2a.04	Chaminda_00	   Allan Donald	        Rejected
2b.01	Somerset	   Wilf Rhodes	        Accepted
2b.02	99*	           Jacques Kallis	Accepted
2b.03	Chaminda_00	   Frank Tyson	        Accepted

3.01	Somerset           Ian Botham           Accepted
3.02	Chaminda_00        Everton Weekes       Accepted
3.03	Nufan              Courtney Walsh       Rejected
3.04	Michael7s          Charles Macartney    Accepted
3.05	99*                Ken Barrington       Accepted
3.06	Samuel Vimes       Greg Chappell        Accepted
3.07	Jamee              Dennis Lillee        Rejected
3.08	Stephen            Kumar Sangakkara     Rejected
3.09	Mr Wright          Alec Stewart         Accepted
3.10	Julian87           Wes Hall             Accepted
3a.01  Nufan              Ian Bishop           Accepted
3a.02  Jamee              Graeme Smith         Accepted
3a.03  Stephen            Ian Healy            Accepted

4.01	Julian87
4.02	Mr Wright
4.03	Stephen
4.04	Jamee
4.05	Samuel Vimes
4.06	99*
4.07	Michael7s
4.08	Nufan
4.09	Chaminda_00
4.10	Somerset

5.01	Nufan
5.02	Stephen
5.03	Chaminda
5.04	Mr Wright
5.05	Somerset
5.06	Vimes
5.07	Julien87
5.08	Jamee
5.09	Michael7s
5.10	99*

6.01	99*
6.02	Michael7s
6.03	Jamee
6.04	Julien87
6.05	Vimes
6.06	Somerset
6.07	Mr Wright
6.08	Chaminda
6.09	Stephen
6.10	Nufan
Julian is up next.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hey guys, as a change from round 4 onwards, based on feedback to date, would suggest that people only get one go at repicking, rather than two?

stephen

Hey guys, as a change from round 4 onwards, based on feedback to date, would suggest that people only get one go at repicking, rather than two?
I'd be happy with that.

My pick for this round is Andy Roberts (WI). Jamee is up.