• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

world domestic championship...

Deja moo

International Captain
why doesnt anyone start a world domestic team championship on the lines of football? i mean...who wouldnt want to see NSW play surrey or Brbados playing mumbai?....would be more interesting if international players play too... :karate:

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
A while ago the winners of the domestic competitions in Australia and England would play each other, but I think it got rained off most of the time, also the ammount of travelling, it's just not worthwhile. If you want to see teams from each country play each other then check out the WCCC forum! Online World Club Cricket!

chris.hinton

International Captain
I like the idea of a World Domestic championship but how would they do it?

A idea would be that it is played in November every two years and not have any one day internationals or tests for that Peroid therefore the best players in the world would play against each other?

We could then have 16 teams from 9 counties. Bangladesh Excluded and then we could have a knock out format...............

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The West Indian domestic team that takes part would be murdered. Well, maybe not Jamaica....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think June in the West Indies would be a good time. That way, everyone could have a rest for a month.

Mr Mxyzptlk

luckyeddie said:
I think June in the West Indies would be a good time. That way, everyone could have a rest for a month.
But the pitches aren't exactly up to standard, except maybe in Antigua.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But the pitches aren't exactly up to standard, except maybe in Antigua.
That means nothing. They'll all be under water anyway at the start of the hurricane season. It was my way of saying "it'll never happen".

Can you imagine - yet another 'Champions Cup' type event squeezed into the calendar on an annual basis? I can't.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Would be a brilliant idea, i would like to see that instead of yet another meaningless Sharjah Trophy

In fact, if all the teams travelled to Sharjah or somewhere for the tournament, travel wouldnt be too bad....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
About 2 years ago it was tried in Australia at Perth.

It was called the Champions Cup & featured the 4 OD champions from Australia (W.A), NZ (Central Districts), India (Mumbai) & South Africa (Kwazulu Natal)

Thats really the closest cricket has come to having a international district or state competition.

Deja moo

International Captain
Would be a brilliant idea, i would like to see that instead of yet another meaningless Sharjah Trophy
I agree....but then maybe we would have a lot of one sided contests. In the tourney held in australia featuring WA,KN,CD and Mum,Mumbai lost all their matches while WA romped home to victory in the final....Home conditions would count for a lot in such championships...( although one couldn't expect Mumbai to do any better in Australian conditions than the manner India performs there!)...I guess holding it in different conditions would throw up different results .
What would be interesting is to list the teams that would do well in-
A) Australian conditions.(read bouncy pitches)
B) Seaming English or NZ conditions.
C) Subcontinental pitches.

My ten teams to do well are-NSW
WA
Kwazulu Natal
Jamaica
Barbados
Surrey
Mumbai
Karnataka Central Districts
Bangladesh(they should be counted as a first class team only)
Pakistan does'nt seem to have a domestic structure ,so no team from there...

Attachments

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just a quick point OrangePitch - my eyes are not very good, so if you want me to read your posts, please stop changing the colours (or I must have smoked something I shouldn't).

Who pays? The game in England's in financial crisis as it is at present (ok, so what's new?) - so if you are carting 8-16 teams from one side of the world to the other for 2 or 3 weeks, you have to be sure of an audience.

Mr Mxyzptlk

My eyes are good and I too have a problem with the constant colour change.

Re: Team for tourney.
I don't think Barbados would stand a chance. They may have won the regional tourney a fair few times, but I really don't think they are as good as Jamaica.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Is that an offer to cover it for Cricketweb?!
Nope.

Just a subtle way of saying the whole idea is nonsense in an already bursting calendar.

June in the West Indies tends to be a little damp, so all concerned would get a good rest.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I suppose we could have the winners of the domestic tournaments, if not then these would be some likely contenders

England - Gloucestershire
West Indies - Jamaica
South Africa - Easterns
India - Karnataka
Pakistan - Not sure, although i suppose a Karachi team would be good
Australia - NSW
NZ - Canterbury