Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    Oh behave!! . He's fantastic no doubt, but lets not go overboard here. Maco never had any issues with lefties for a start, and faced tougher opposition imo.
    No he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by popepouri View Post
    Is there still really an argument that Steyn struggles against lefties?
    If Steyn can still average 22 after struggling with left-handers then he is the best bowler ever against right-handers by a fair margin.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Worrying to agree with you twice in a few days. Marshall was a class above anyone else I have seen.

Steyn being under 30 may challenge the top wicket taking pace bowlers by the end of his career if he stays injury free though.
    No way was he a class above Mcgrath or even Ambrose. Not even close.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    No he didn't.

If Steyn can still average 22 after struggling with left-handers then he is the best bowler ever against right-handers by a fair margin.

No way was he a class above Mcgrath or even Ambrose. Not even close.
    When you ask the greats themselves (Richards, Hadlee, Wasim, Imran, Miandad, etc) two names crop up time and time again as to who they think is the greatest Test bowler. First is Marshall and second is Lillee. McGrath and Ambrose aren't mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    When you ask the greats themselves (Richards, Hadlee, Wasim, Imran, Miandad, etc) two names crop up time and time again as to who they think is the greatest Test bowler. First is Marshall and second is Lillee. McGrath and Ambrose aren't mentioned.
    It's Lillee that most bowlers rate as the greatest.

Cricket Spectator

These who ex-players/cricket writers rate higher are some of the most annoying arguments ever. They are biased like everybody else in the sense that they always pick the players that looks good on the eyes. Hell I would rather watch Anderson bowl over Mcgrath. Doesn't mean anything.
    Last edited by Inferno; 04-02-2013 at 02:50 PM.

U19 Debutant
    All players you quoted are of the same era that is 80's may be not Wasim..If you ask the players of the 90's 3 names generally come up 1) Wasim 2) Ambrose 3) Warne..2K it could be Steyn

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Worrying to agree with you twice in a few days. Marshall was a class above anyone else I have seen.

Steyn being under 30 may challenge the top wicket taking pace bowlers by the end of his career if he stays injury free though.
    This.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by doesitmatter View Post
    All players you quoted are of the same era that is 80's may be not Wasim..If you ask the players of the 90's 3 names generally come up 1) Wasim 2) Ambrose 3) Warne..2K it could be Steyn
    Not that I care but no way does Ambrose beat out Warne in these sort of lists. In fact I have never read about Ambrose being all that great to watch from many people. He is more like Mcgrath.

Tbh I think Warne would top the 90's list actually.

These who ex-players/cricket writers rate higher are some of the most annoying arguments ever. They are biased like everybody else in the sense that they always pick the players that looks good on the eyes. Hell I would rather watch Anderson bowl over Mcgrath. Doesn't mean anything.
    Rather take what Viv says over what you think.

Cricket Spectator
    Rather take what Viv says over what you think.
    Except I don't rate players based on how they look on TV I rate them based on their records.

If your incapable of thinking for yourself and prefer to bandwagon than that's your business.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    I've always been incredibly sceptical about who the ex players rate. Not only are they likely to rate those they played with higher than those who play now, but just because they perhaps struggled against bowler A more than bowler B, it doesn't mean that bowler A is necessarily better. They could have had technical flaws that were more exposed against certain bowlers.

Inferno probably has much more balanced views than Viv
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Except I don't rate players based on how they look on TV I rate them based on their records.

If your incapable of thinking for yourself and prefer to bandwagon than that's your business.
    Marshall has a better record than Steyn.

Cricket Spectator
    Marshall has a better record than Steyn.
    Where in my posts did you hear me say otherwise?

Where in my posts did you hear me say otherwise?
    My mistake. Let me correct it for you then.

He was a class above McGrath. Batter record and much better to watch.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Reckon everyone agrees with you there. I think Steyn has a chance to challenge for that top spot is all. A very small chance mind
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Cricket Spectator
    My mistake. Let me correct it for you then.

He was a class above McGrath. Batter record and much better to watch.
    Not surprised at your definition of "class" considering Viv does your thinking for you. Marshall is at best a few decimals apart from Mcgrath if you look at the batsmen they dismissed. Not to mention the different times they played in with different rules. Hell even if you don't take those thing into account there is a difference of .70 between them (.4 between him and Ambrose). A class apart indeed. Anyways I'm not gonna take the bait and turn this into Marshall vs Mcgrath.

I'm guessing I shouldn't be surprised either that you use the most simplistic possible way of looking at stats to determine records. So do you believe that Marshall was barely half the bowler George Lohmann was or does Viv have something to counter that? In fact would you also mind asking him how Marshall being better to watch from the TV screen got his team wickets at a better rate than his average suggests?
    Last edited by Inferno; 04-02-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread Information