• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

Inferno

Cricket Spectator
Oh behave!! :D . He's fantastic no doubt, but lets not go overboard here. Maco never had any issues with lefties for a start, and faced tougher opposition imo.
No he didn't.

Is there still really an argument that Steyn struggles against lefties?
If Steyn can still average 22 after struggling with left-handers then he is the best bowler ever against right-handers by a fair margin.

Worrying to agree with you twice in a few days. Marshall was a class above anyone else I have seen.

Steyn being under 30 may challenge the top wicket taking pace bowlers by the end of his career if he stays injury free though.
No way was he a class above Mcgrath or even Ambrose. Not even close.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
No he didn't.

If Steyn can still average 22 after struggling with left-handers then he is the best bowler ever against right-handers by a fair margin.

No way was he a class above Mcgrath or even Ambrose. Not even close.
When you ask the greats themselves (Richards, Hadlee, Wasim, Imran, Miandad, etc) two names crop up time and time again as to who they think is the greatest Test bowler. First is Marshall and second is Lillee. McGrath and Ambrose aren't mentioned.

akilana

International 12th Man
When you ask the greats themselves (Richards, Hadlee, Wasim, Imran, Miandad, etc) two names crop up time and time again as to who they think is the greatest Test bowler. First is Marshall and second is Lillee. McGrath and Ambrose aren't mentioned.
It's Lillee that most bowlers rate as the greatest.

Inferno

Cricket Spectator

These who ex-players/cricket writers rate higher are some of the most annoying arguments ever. They are biased like everybody else in the sense that they always pick the players that looks good on the eyes. Hell I would rather watch Anderson bowl over Mcgrath. Doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
All players you quoted are of the same era that is 80's may be not Wasim..If you ask the players of the 90's 3 names generally come up 1) Wasim 2) Ambrose 3) Warne..2K it could be Steyn

Inferno

Cricket Spectator
All players you quoted are of the same era that is 80's may be not Wasim..If you ask the players of the 90's 3 names generally come up 1) Wasim 2) Ambrose 3) Warne..2K it could be Steyn
Not that I care but no way does Ambrose beat out Warne in these sort of lists. In fact I have never read about Ambrose being all that great to watch from many people. He is more like Mcgrath.

Tbh I think Warne would top the 90's list actually.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

These who ex-players/cricket writers rate higher are some of the most annoying arguments ever. They are biased like everybody else in the sense that they always pick the players that looks good on the eyes. Hell I would rather watch Anderson bowl over Mcgrath. Doesn't mean anything.
Rather take what Viv says over what you think.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I've always been incredibly sceptical about who the ex players rate. Not only are they likely to rate those they played with higher than those who play now, but just because they perhaps struggled against bowler A more than bowler B, it doesn't mean that bowler A is necessarily better. They could have had technical flaws that were more exposed against certain bowlers.

Inferno probably has much more balanced views than Viv :p

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Reckon everyone agrees with you there. I think Steyn has a chance to challenge for that top spot is all. A very small chance mind

Inferno

Cricket Spectator
My mistake. Let me correct it for you then.

He was a class above McGrath. Batter record and much better to watch.
Not surprised at your definition of "class" considering Viv does your thinking for you. Marshall is at best a few decimals apart from Mcgrath if you look at the batsmen they dismissed. Not to mention the different times they played in with different rules. Hell even if you don't take those thing into account there is a difference of .70 between them (.4 between him and Ambrose). A class apart indeed. Anyways I'm not gonna take the bait and turn this into Marshall vs Mcgrath.

I'm guessing I shouldn't be surprised either that you use the most simplistic possible way of looking at stats to determine records. So do you believe that Marshall was barely half the bowler George Lohmann was or does Viv have something to counter that? In fact would you also mind asking him how Marshall being better to watch from the TV screen got his team wickets at a better rate than his average suggests?

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Look they are so close I think it comes down to a subjective preference rather than an objective choice. For mine the best bowler I've seen is Ambrose and that is just bcos the feeling of fear and utter hopelessness I felt for my team when facing him.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Not surprised at your definition of "class" considering Viv does your thinking for you. Marshall is at best a few decimals apart from Mcgrath if you look at the batsmen they dismissed. Not to mention the different times they played in with different rules. Hell even if you don't take those thing into account there is a difference of .70 between them (.4 between him and Ambrose). A class apart indeed. Anyways I'm not gonna take the bait and turn this into Marshall vs Mcgrath.

I'm guessing I shouldn't be surprised either that you use the most simplistic possible way of looking at stats to determine records. So do you believe that Marshall was barely half the bowler George Lohmann was or does Viv have something to counter that? In fact would you also mind asking him how Marshall being better to watch from the TV screen got his team wickets at a better rate than his average suggests?
Attacking me won't win you the argument. I just thought it would be interesting to look towards who ATG players think is the greatest fast bowler. The choice for them is between Lillee and Marshall. You can take it or leave it. When guys like Holding, Imran, Hadlee, Wasim talk about Marshall and Lillee, it does signify something.

Regarding Lohmann, I am going to go with Benchy's POV.

Inferno

Cricket Spectator
Attacking me won't win you the argument. I just thought it would be interesting to look towards who ATG players think is the greatest fast bowler. The choice for them is between Lillee and Marshall. You can take it or leave it. When guys like Holding, Imran, Hadlee, Wasim talk about Marshall and Lillee, it does signify something.

Regarding Lohmann, I am going to go with Benchy's POV.
Just to get the "attacking" part clear, you get what you ask for. You trying to suggest my opinion somehow is not worth much because I'm no Viv was a personal jab. So yeah.

As far as the argument goes I don't have a problem with your opinion eveybody is entitled to one I'm not trying to change your mind here. I just simply disagree with it completely ad also gave you my opinion as to why I thought ex-players are just as biased as any other especially towards players that look good on the screen. You just decided to reply with a personal jab.

Also, one can't help but wonder as to why Lillie completely disappeared on your last argument.....

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
No personal jab there. The guy played against the best in the world. His views are always going to be put above the rest of us. But you were calling me a simpleton just because I think his views along with the views of other ATG's are worth listening to.

And Lillee might not have the greatest of records, but a lot of people consider him their all time great bowler. I guess stats aren't everything.

Inferno

Cricket Spectator
This debate is running out of fuel. You think player's opinion are meaningful if they have served the game and I say I don't see how that makes them any less bias. I'll just leave at that.

Edit: Pleasures of having the last word eh? I think you were taking a personal jab at me but hey I give up have your last words. This is the last I will ever mention it.

Last edited: