• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
In the pre match talk show, Waqar and Jhonty both picked Steyn as the better bowler between him and Donald...
That, I didn't hear and something I find very facinating. Pollock played his career with Donald and Waqar was also playing at the same time, and since past players tend to favor players from their era, that is very high praise indeed.

And yes, it would be great to have Donald and Steyn opening the bowling together with Procter to follow, that would be some special attack.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Assume you mean Donald as the in-swing bowler? Could do both equally well from what I remember of the guy.
Just judging from Rob's channel tbf. Seemed to bowl an awful lot of them and his action was far more conductive to innies.

Would it be accurate to say he was like Bond in that respect? That he could theoretically do both, but the massive indipper was his trademark.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I remember donald seamed it away and swung the ball in. Dale is the opposite (swing away and seam in)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just judging from Rob's channel tbf. Seemed to bowl an awful lot of them and his action was far more conductive to innies.

Would it be accurate to say he was like Bond in that respect? That he could theoretically do both, but the massive indipper was his trademark.
Against Australia, his most frequently displayed skill was the look of exasperation.

the big bambino

International Captain
Look on reflection I favour Donald by a pip. I think he played against higher quality batsmen. I think I know the originator of this thread; Pasag. Not a bad bloke. But he sure pulled a boner here.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Look on reflection I favour Donald by a pip. I think he played against higher quality batsmen. I think I know the originator of this thread; Pasag. Not a bad bloke. But he sure pulled a boner here.
:) short-term memory bias at play.
Steyn has played against the likes of Tendulkar, Ponting, Dravid, Sangakkara, Clarke, KP and many very good batsmen. (younis, jayawardene, laxman, hussey, trott, cook, sehwag, hayden, chanders etc... )

Only in very recent times he has actually had to bowl to weak line-ups...

Cricket has reached a point where the greats and the very good players from the previous era have either retired, or are close to it!
Hence there's been a large drop off in quality around the world.
This has been exacerbated by the emergence of T20s, which has now resulted in producing young batsmen, who are less technicially sound and less patient, to replace those players...
recent phenomenon.

the big bambino

International Captain
Its a fair point CM and I agree that stds have slipped but batting has been poor for a few seasons. I reckon too that the Indians, though much the same men, weren't as good as they were as in Donald's day. Much like the fact Steyn came up against a deteriorating Ponting rather than the one at his best.

Steyn's superb no doubt but I'd give it to the Donald. In a platonic sense of course.

Last edited:

Spooony

Banned
Its a fair point CM and I agree that stds have slipped but batting has been poor for a few seasons. I reckon too that the Indians, though much the same men, weren't as good as they were as in Donald's day. Much like the fact Steyn came up against a deteriorating Ponting rather than the one at his best.

Steyn's superb no doubt but I'd give it to the Donald. In a platonic sense of course.

11 for 60

Batting have not been poor. In fact the batting avg per country went up as well as the scoring rates.

Spark

Global Moderator

Hmm I dunno. I'd say the Indian batting lineup Steyn tore to pieces multiple times from 07-10 was the best they've ever had, even accounting for form. Batting standards have certainly deteriorated as a general rule in the last half-decade - and I actually don't think that's because the pitches have flattened out all of a sudden. They've been flat for quite a while - in fact, I suspect the opposite has happened. There's a few more spicy decks appearing around the world nowadays, and batsmen have struggled slightly to readjust to them from the flatter decks.

Don't get me wrong, though. The guy is a ****ing beast and I'm with the posters who are saying that he's competing with McGrath for the best fast bowler I've seen live in my lifetime. Never seen anyone get so much swing after pitching on a middle-and-off line.

I'd like to see an analysis of Steyn against the top batsmen, though. My initial suspicion is that he'll have done very well against most of them. Just for kicks - though I guess such a picky statistical thing will be very, very sketchy because of samplesizelol.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
steyn will in all probability finish ahead of donald.

amount of swing he gets is ridiculous.

no spinner in the world spins the ball as much as he swings it...

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Never mind Donald, by the end of his career Steyn could be challenging Marshall and co for greatest fast bowler ever IMO.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Never mind Donald, by the end of his career Steyn could be challenging Marshall and co for greatest fast bowler ever IMO.
Oh behave!! :D . He's fantastic no doubt, but lets not go overboard here. Maco never had any issues with lefties for a start, and faced tougher opposition imo.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Steyn's better than Philander by a bit of a margin, its not to say Philander is much below Steyn but rather Philander is basically the Brian Statham to Steyn's Fred Trueman. One hammers out the basics incredibly well while the latter is the attacking bowler who's more likely to produce a spell that'll demolish an opposition from a set position.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to see an analysis of Steyn against the top batsmen, though. My initial suspicion is that he'll have done very well against most of them. Just for kicks - though I guess such a picky statistical thing will be very, very sketchy because of samplesizelol.
FWIW, I redid this calculation for Steyn.

Then, he had a bowling average of 23.13, average value of wicket of 29.29, and discount factor of 79.0%. He was ranked #20

Now, he has a bowling average of 22.67, average value of wicket of 30.57, and discount factor of 74.2%. This will put him at #10 (without recalculating for others). Among those with 200+ wickets, he is behind only Marshall, Ambrose and McGrath (the margin is fair bit between these three and Steyn though).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn's better than Philander by a bit of a margin, its not to say Philander is much below Steyn but rather Philander is basically the Brian Statham to Steyn's Fred Trueman. One hammers out the basics incredibly well while the latter is the attacking bowler who's more likely to produce a spell that'll demolish an opposition from a set position.

TBH I think they're both fantastic at very different bowling styles.

Tough to pick anyone in the world over Philander in seaming conditions.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh behave!! :D . He's fantastic no doubt, but lets not go overboard here. Maco never had any issues with lefties for a start, and faced tougher opposition imo.
Worrying to agree with you twice in a few days. Marshall was a class above anyone else I have seen.

Steyn being under 30 may challenge the top wicket taking pace bowlers by the end of his career if he stays injury free though.