• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Reading this thread now is comedy gold.

From a longevity point of view, he showed today that he can obilterate lineups at 135kph.

I haven't seen much of Malcolm Marshall, but from what I have heard, this is where some similarity lies. He's obviously realised that He can't keep terrorising the world over after over, so has developed the ability to take wickets at slower pace, while retaining his speed for short bursts when the team desperately needs a wicket.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Today should end the debate about whether Philander is better than Steyn too. Steyn is just so much better to watch and far more deadly when he gets it right because he has the extra pace. Great partnership to have though as they both do it so well.
LOL There was a debate like that? Philander's career is just 1 year old..even if some time in the distant future Philander becomes extraordinary, as of now, when you have Steyn's body of work comprising of 5-6 years and Philander's body of work comprising of 1 year..I don't understand how someone can possibly make that argument.

For me Steyn and Donald are at par..I have seen Donald decimate batting line ups like yesterday..both are just ****ing brilliant..two of the greatest fast bowlers I have seen.

irfan

State Captain
The only fast bowlers who have taken more wickets at a better average than Steyn are:

McGrath 563@21.64
Hadlee 431@22.29
Ambrose 405@20.99
Marshall 376@20.94
Imran Khan 362@22.81
Donald 330@22.25

Going by current projections he should surpass Imran & Donald and in the top 5 for all-time best fast bowlers on stats alone. That's discounting the flat pitches, bigger bats, faster run rates argument that has shrouded over most of Steyn's career.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Steyn retired right now I'd have him about on par with Donald, maybe fractionally ahead. If he plays for another few years and performs as even just a good bowler then he'll be conclusively ahead of him when he retires IMO and the overwhelming likelihood is that he'll do much more than that anyway. I think he has a big chance to threaten McGrath as the best fast bowler I've seen in my cricket-following life.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The only fast bowlers who have taken more wickets at a better average than Steyn are:

McGrath 563@21.64
Hadlee 431@22.29
Ambrose 405@20.99
Marshall 376@20.94
Imran Khan 362@22.81
Donald 330@22.25

Going by current projections he should surpass Imran & Donald and in the top 5 for all-time best fast bowlers on stats alone. That's discounting the flat pitches, bigger bats, faster run rates argument that has shrouded over most of Steyn's career.
Lack of Trueman there. I know Steyn has gone past him but he belongs in that group.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Also, for purely sadistic reasons I want Philander to take 300 wickets at 20. Then we will see another effective but non-flamboyant cricketer being denied his due just like S Pollock and Kallis are.

smash84

The Tiger King
Also, for purely sadistic reasons I want Philander to take 300 wickets at 20. Then we will see another effective but non-flamboyant cricketer being denied his due just like S Pollock and Kallis are.
Agree with you to a certain extent.

I think recently there was a pretty good piece by Akash Chopra on Kallis and Sobers and one of his arguments was that Sobers was just more glamorous compared to Kallis and that gives you a definite edge.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In the pre match talk show, Waqar and Jhonty both picked Steyn as the better bowler between him and Donald...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I love that Pasag will forever be linked to this thread. Cop it Pasag wherever you are.