• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I call him mornay if that counts, and of course they are lobsters

pews why don't you make it so new users need to be approved to post there's always moderators online wouldn't cause much delay
Because we don't know if they're ****s or not until they post.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Today should end the debate about whether Philander is better than Steyn too. Steyn is just so much better to watch and far more deadly when he gets it right because he has the extra pace. Great partnership to have though as they both do it so well.

L Trumper

State Regular
Today should end the debate about whether Philander is better than Steyn too. Steyn is just so much better to watch and far more deadly when he gets it right because he has the extra pace. Great partnership to have though as they both do it so well.
I don't think anyone debated about that. Everyone consider Steyn to be better.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Today should end the debate about whether Philander is better than Steyn too.
It should not, what if 5 years from now he's over 300 wickets at an average below 20? I'm not saying he's better, mind, only that's still too early to give any definitive answer to that debate.

Besides, today Philander was getting irreal seam movement, it was like a 75 mph spinner. On another day it could have well been him to get the 5-fer, as it actually happened on a few occasions.

Satyanash89

Banned
Гурин;3008567 said:
It should not, what if 5 years from now he's over 300 wickets at an average below 20? I'm not saying he's better, mind, only that's still too early to give any definitive answer to that debate.

Besides, today Philander was getting irreal seam movement, it was like a 75 mph spinner. On another day it could have well been him to get the 5-fer, as it actually happened on a few occasions.
Absolutely awta

Steyn's achievements tower over Philander because he's proven himself over the last 5-6 years in virtually all conditions against every opposition. He's reaching Donald-level status now or is at least very close for me.
But Philander has been magnificent so far and could probably end up as good as Steyn if he carries on imo.

That said, Steyn tearing through a lineup is just awesome to watch... trumps Philander, or indeed most bowlers ever.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Looking forward to two years after his retirement when his 'great' status will come under scrutiny through stats. Probably won't have gotten out enough left handers bowling around the wicket on the 3rd day after lunch with the old ball at Sabina Park to be considered a true great.

Even if he has a few dire years towards the end of his career he's done enough to be considered a true great imo.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Looking forward to two years after his retirement when his 'great' status will come under scrutiny through stats. Probably won't have gotten out enough left handers bowling around the wicket on the 3rd day after lunch with the old ball at Sabina Park to be considered a true great.

Even if he has a few dire years towards the end of his career he's done enough to be considered a true great imo.
Definitely.

I could watch him bowl all day.

the big bambino

International Captain
Very little difference btwn Seyn and Donald. One as good as the other. Bit opportunistic to use this performance to advance a case over Philander though. Just as opportunistic to rate Philly when he took wkts in previous games. Steyn clearly has a head start in that comparison. All we can hope for is Philander goes off the boil. Bcos srsly these 40 scores...hang your heads batsmen. Once is bad enough but 3 times now?

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Reading this thread now is comedy gold.

From a longevity point of view, he showed today that he can obilterate lineups at 135kph.