Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 671

Thread: Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

  1. #361
    International Debutant Jager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The land of Siddle
    Posts
    2,889
    Got him in my draft side as well as Bond
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

  2. #362
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,393
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    more likely to improve given how good he's with reverse-swing.
    I am pretty sure you didn't see him play in the UAE.

    Just for your reference

    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  3. #363
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I respect what you have to say, so I don't dispute it, but not much suggests to me he was the greatest ever.
    awta.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2


    W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

    S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

    Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

  4. #364
    State Vice-Captain akilana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Moon
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I am pretty sure you didn't see him play in the UAE.

    Just for your reference

    Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
    im pretty sure you are wrong about me not watching that.

    ya just 2 tests after coming from an injury which proves nothing. he has done better in worse conditions against better batsmen.. even morkel took a 5-for in UAE and i dont beleive it has anything to do with his ability that he didnt take many there.
    Last edited by akilana; 19-08-2012 at 08:26 PM.


  5. #365
    International Regular Andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,123
    I wonder if Steyn's lack of bounce when he bowls is why a lot of us seem to have such a hard time acknowledging he is the best fast bowler in the world. His numbers are terrific - right up there with the best in history - but for some reason he just doesn't seem to be held in as high esteem. Can't help but think it's because he doesn't the bounce that some of the ATG greats get so might be a bit short on that intimidation factor that we all seem to associate with the great quicks.

  6. #366
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I wonder if Steyn's lack of bounce when he bowls is why a lot of us seem to have such a hard time acknowledging he is the best fast bowler in the world
    Does anyone think he's not the best?

    Moreso that people think he doesn't stack up to previous greats.

  7. #367
    International Regular Andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Does anyone think he's not the best?

    Moreso that people think he doesn't stack up to previous greats.
    Yep, you are right in that sense - I just kind of get the impression with him that people think he is top of a weak field, which isn't the case as such.

    But yeah, he just doesn't have that presence or aura about him that most of the greats do.

  8. #368
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,492
    Personally, there's a huge presence about Steyn. I mean, I expect him to take a wicket every time he starts a new spell. T
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  9. #369
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,633
    T?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  10. #370
    International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    3,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yep, you are right in that sense - I just kind of get the impression with him that people think he is top of a weak field, which isn't the case as such.

    But yeah, he just doesn't have that presence or aura about him that most of the greats do.
    The hell? Steyn has an awesome presence.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

  11. #371
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    Reckon Larwood would shade most bowlers playing ATM if he played in this era.
    Wishful thinking TBH. Most probably on par with Steyn with speed, and bowling to a set of batsmen with better equipment will seal the deal.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

    I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

  12. #372
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Wishful thinking TBH. Most probably on par with Steyn with speed, and bowling to a set of batsmen with better equipment will seal the deal.
    Larwood topped the first class averages in England five times, in an era when fast bowlers generally didn't prosper - in four of those years he had an lbw law that meant he couldn't get a decision from any delivery that pitched outside off stump - there was a lot more to Larwood than speed

  13. #373
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colombo, SL
    Posts
    5,646
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Larwood topped the first class averages in England five times, in an era when fast bowlers generally didn't prosper - in four of those years he had an lbw law that meant he couldn't get a decision from any delivery that pitched outside off stump - there was a lot more to Larwood than speed
    They didn't prosper, because they weren't good enough. Under same law there were guys like Lohman who wrecked havoc. Like the criticism of Steyn, Larwood was made to look good, because others were not good enough.

  14. #374
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    They didn't prosper, because they weren't good enough. Under same law there were guys like Lohman who wrecked havoc. Like the criticism of Steyn, Larwood was made to look good, because others were not good enough.
    The main reason they didn't prosper was because the laws didn't suit them - there was the lbw law for one and uncovered wickets for another - the likes of Lohmann and other slow and medium paced bowlers got all the benefits of those - the simple reality is that Larwood apart there weren't any really quick bowlers around in the late 20s/early 30s, which is part of the reason England got such a nasty shock when Constantine and Martindale, who were a good deal slower than Larwood, bowled Bodyline at them in 1933

  15. #375
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,393
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    im pretty sure you are wrong about me not watching that.

    ya just 2 tests after coming from an injury which proves nothing. he has done better in worse conditions against better batsmen.. even morkel took a 5-for in UAE and i dont beleive it has anything to do with his ability that he didnt take many there.
    I am more convinced than ever that you didn't watch that series

    SA complained after the series that the pitches were too damn flat

    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    and i dont beleive it has anything to do with his ability that he didnt take many there.
    straw man.

    I never questioned his ability to take wickets

Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pakistan's top 10 bowlers.....ever
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
  2. The worst person in the world
    By pasag in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
  3. Is Michael Clarke the worst leaver in the game?
    By Mister Wright in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 01:09 PM
  4. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 28-01-2009, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •