Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

Got him in my draft side as well as Bond
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    more likely to improve given how good he's with reverse-swing.
    I am pretty sure you didn't see him play in the UAE.

Just for your reference

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I respect what you have to say, so I don't dispute it, but not much suggests to me he was the greatest ever.
    awta.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I am pretty sure you didn't see him play in the UAE.

Just for your reference

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
    im pretty sure you are wrong about me not watching that.

ya just 2 tests after coming from an injury which proves nothing. he has done better in worse conditions against better batsmen.. even morkel took a 5-for in UAE and i dont beleive it has anything to do with his ability that he didnt take many there.
    Last edited by akilana; 19-08-2012 at 08:26 PM.

I wonder if Steyn's lack of bounce when he bowls is why a lot of us seem to have such a hard time acknowledging he is the best fast bowler in the world. His numbers are terrific - right up there with the best in history - but for some reason he just doesn't seem to be held in as high esteem. Can't help but think it's because he doesn't the bounce that some of the ATG greats get so might be a bit short on that intimidation factor that we all seem to associate with the great quicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I wonder if Steyn's lack of bounce when he bowls is why a lot of us seem to have such a hard time acknowledging he is the best fast bowler in the world
    Does anyone think he's not the best?

Moreso that people think he doesn't stack up to previous greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Does anyone think he's not the best?

Moreso that people think he doesn't stack up to previous greats.
    Yep, you are right in that sense - I just kind of get the impression with him that people think he is top of a weak field, which isn't the case as such.

But yeah, he just doesn't have that presence or aura about him that most of the greats do.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Personally, there's a huge presence about Steyn. I mean, I expect him to take a wicket every time he starts a new spell. T
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

T?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yep, you are right in that sense - I just kind of get the impression with him that people think he is top of a weak field, which isn't the case as such.

But yeah, he just doesn't have that presence or aura about him that most of the greats do.
    The hell? Steyn has an awesome presence.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    Reckon Larwood would shade most bowlers playing ATM if he played in this era.
    Wishful thinking TBH. Most probably on par with Steyn with speed, and bowling to a set of batsmen with better equipment will seal the deal.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Wishful thinking TBH. Most probably on par with Steyn with speed, and bowling to a set of batsmen with better equipment will seal the deal.
    Larwood topped the first class averages in England five times, in an era when fast bowlers generally didn't prosper - in four of those years he had an lbw law that meant he couldn't get a decision from any delivery that pitched outside off stump - there was a lot more to Larwood than speed

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Larwood topped the first class averages in England five times, in an era when fast bowlers generally didn't prosper - in four of those years he had an lbw law that meant he couldn't get a decision from any delivery that pitched outside off stump - there was a lot more to Larwood than speed
    They didn't prosper, because they weren't good enough. Under same law there were guys like Lohman who wrecked havoc. Like the criticism of Steyn, Larwood was made to look good, because others were not good enough.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    They didn't prosper, because they weren't good enough. Under same law there were guys like Lohman who wrecked havoc. Like the criticism of Steyn, Larwood was made to look good, because others were not good enough.
    The main reason they didn't prosper was because the laws didn't suit them - there was the lbw law for one and uncovered wickets for another - the likes of Lohmann and other slow and medium paced bowlers got all the benefits of those - the simple reality is that Larwood apart there weren't any really quick bowlers around in the late 20s/early 30s, which is part of the reason England got such a nasty shock when Constantine and Martindale, who were a good deal slower than Larwood, bowled Bodyline at them in 1933

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    im pretty sure you are wrong about me not watching that.

ya just 2 tests after coming from an injury which proves nothing. he has done better in worse conditions against better batsmen.. even morkel took a 5-for in UAE and i dont beleive it has anything to do with his ability that he didnt take many there.
    I am more convinced than ever that you didn't watch that series

SA complained after the series that the pitches were too damn flat

and i dont beleive it has anything to do with his ability that he didnt take many there.
    straw man.

I never questioned his ability to take wickets

Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread Information