• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
It's a good question really. Had he been around 15 years ago with the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald etc he certainly would have had more competion. But having said that he averages 22 now (last time I checked) and his strike rate is awesome.

He might even have been better on the slightly rougher pitches of the 90s, which would put him even higher than the afore-mentioned. Not least for the fact that Steyn has the option of dropping it in short owed to his height and the express pace he can get in top gear. This would have made him even more effective in the 90s when the pitches offered more to bowlers.

Back to the point, I think Steyn stands up to the bowlers of yesteryear as he has adapted to harsher conditions for bowlers by pitching it up and swinging it (at pace) when the pitch offers nothing.

As of today he is worthy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He's got the best strike rate of any fast bowler to have taken more than 150 Test wickets.

Of fast bowlers who have taken more than 20 wickets, only Lohmann, Proctor and Bond have taken their wickets faster. If Steyn takes 7 more wickets in this match, he trumps Lillee and Waqar as the fastest quick to 200, if he takes 7 more on this tour he equals them.

Steyn's massively underappreciated. In a batsman dominated era, to be averaging 23 and striking at such a phenominal rate is an incredible achievement.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn is so good. He's like you'd think Brett Lee should have been. He could be right up there when it comes to matches to get 200 test wickets, he's currently got 193 and this is his 37th match.

Why is it that he has such a (relatively) poor ODI record? He's also not played that many games.

Edit: Too slow... :p

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Steyn is so good. He's like you'd think Brett Lee should have been. He could be right up there when it comes to matches to get 200 test wickets, he's currently got 193 and this is his 37th match.

Why is it that he has such a (relatively) poor ODI record? He's also not played that many games.
He's improved in ODIs over the past year. His overall record is hampered by having a poor start to his ODI career.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That is one of the best spells of reverse swing bowling I have ever seen... That post tea session was just surreal. It is one of those days when everything clicked for him.. I am sure he himself will know he won't have such days too often... Good on him that he made sure it counted, TWICE!!! :)

Xuhaib

International Coach
That is one of the best spells of reverse swing bowling I have ever seen... That post tea session was just surreal. It is one of those days when everything clicked for him.. I am sure he himself will know he won't have such days too often... Good on him that he made sure it counted, TWICE!!! :)
Yup this was as Waqar as it can get seemed the 90's have rolled back.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's improved in ODIs over the past year. His overall record is hampered by having a poor start to his ODI career.
As is his test record.

I think this kinda pinpoints the problem with the question pasag asks. If Dale Steyn goes down in history as an all-time great quick, and it looks like he probably will, no one's going to look back on the period two years into his dominance and say that he was, at that stage, the "worst best fast bowler in the world". Current players are always at a distinct disadvantage when considering this question because they haven't got their entire careers behind them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also the 25th time in 37 Tests that Steyn has taken 4 or more wickets in an innings, with 13 of them being 5 or more.

:blink:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
There's actually little point of bumping this topic because it was dealing with the Steyn of right then and there (1 year ago). Everything that came after is more or less inconsequential.
And at the time it was poor post given the whole rationale for the thread was Steyn not doing the business against Australia that despite not playing a test against Australia.

pasag

RTDAS
Well at the time of your post he had played and had success against every other side (England except), so not sure what else the argument could be.
I can't remember what it was, certainly wouldn't have been that. More likely his England exploits or that fact that Lee was now 100% out of the picture so Steyn was undisputed number 1, but probably not either. Nice try though.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Now that he has the inswinger in his armoury and it hasn't compromised his stock delivery, he can bowl with a plan. He just has to make sure he doesn't overuse it.

2 years ago, he wouldn't have got Bell, Trott, Vijay and Saha the way he did.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Now that he has the inswinger in his armoury and it hasn't compromised his stock delivery, he can bowl with a plan. He just has to make sure he doesn't overuse it.

2 years ago, he wouldn't have got Bell, Trott, Vijay and Saha the way he did.
Actually i think he would have. Two years ago this time South Africa where in India & he got Sehwag out with big inswinger bowled & LBW a few times.

L Trumper

State Regular
Actually i think he would have. Two years ago this time South Africa where in India & he got Sehwag out with big inswinger bowled & LBW a few times.
I think he is referring to the three card trick with 2 out swingers followed by the one that nips back which steyn mastered during ENG series. The way he got trott, bell, vijay is more or less same. Doing it in jo'borg itself is a difficult task but on indian feather bed ? That beggars belief.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think he is referring to the three card trick with 2 out swingers followed by the one that nips back which steyn mastered during ENG series. The way he got trott, bell, vijay is more or less same. Doing it in jo'borg itself is a difficult task but on indian feather bed ? That beggars belief.
Having watched Steyn alot in the last 4 years i think he has done that a long time before the recent ENG series TBH. As i said before vs IND 2008 he got Sehwag out with the 3 card trick & Vaughan vs ENG 2008 (although some may argue Vaughan to the end of his career sort of forgot where his off-stump was)

I just think maybe in the last two series he targeted those batsmen specially which such plans, thus we have seen such dismissals a bit more regularly.