Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 671

Thread: Is Dale Steyn the worst ever best fast bowler in the world?

  1. #181
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,548
    Fair enough thread, I don't really agree with it though, I would rate Steyn ahead of Bond and Asif.. Definitely better than any of the bowlers we have had in the short space post Donald/Pollock/McGrath, but you are right I guess, he doesn't compare with them yet
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  2. #182
    State Vice-Captain popepouri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    But every indication is that Steyn seems to be learning how to be a better bowler, as he showed in Australia, and his outswinger doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It's rare for any major bowler to lose a natural stock delivery.
    Agreed. The ball that got Hussey in the first ODI was a fine example. He's capable of moving the ball both ways now, which is something he didn't have 6 months ago.

  3. #183
    Tim
    Tim is offline
    Cricketer Of The Year Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Fair enough thread, I don't really agree with it though, I would rate Steyn ahead of Bond and Asif.. Definitely better than any of the bowlers we have had in the short space post Donald/Pollock/McGrath, but you are right I guess, he doesn't compare with them yet
    That's a pretty big call if you ask me.

  4. #184
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    But Harmison wasn't the best bowler around at the time. No chance. He was just erroneously ranked so after 3 bad Tests and 1 good one.

    If we said every bowler to top the ICC Form Rankings (which is all they are) qualified we'd have a never-ending list.
    True...was McGrath injured at the time?

    And on Steyn, he certainly learned quickly in Australia after the first test. I picked him to come up short after his early success but then I hadn't really seen him bowl a lot either. He seems to learn from his previous test and can bowl well to a plan. If he goes on to have years more success then good luck to him.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 16-02-2009 at 10:54 PM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.


  5. #185
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    That's a pretty big call if you ask me.
    I really don't think so, in Test cricket.

  6. #186
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    True...was McGrath injured at the time?
    He had just come back from about 8 months-ish off at the time Harmison hit the #1 spot. He was still out at the time Harmison had his truly purple patch, which propelled him to #2.
    And on Steyn, he certainly learned quickly in Australia after the first test. I picked him to come up short after his early success but then I hadn't really seen him bowl a lot either. He seems to learn from his previous test and can bowl well to a plan. If he goes on to have years more success then good luck to him.
    The big difference between Steyn at The WACA (and, let's face it, The SCG as well) and The MCG was the ball swung for him at the latter ground.

    It's very odd that the two grounds I'd have picked him to swing it at would've been the WACA and SCG and not the MCG, but it turned-out the other way around.

    Once Steyn got that swing, though, he was always highly likely to pose considerable problems to the Australian batsmen.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  7. #187
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    That's not true actually. Waqar at his peak was as fast if not faster than Shoaib, and many of the players who played with both Waqar and Shoaib attest to this fact. He was express pace (90+ average) but after his injury he struggled to even break the 90s barrier. Anyone who saw Waqar bowl afterwards knows he couldn't beat the batsmen out of sheer pace like he used to. And the fact that his injury can account for this can be seen in his dramatic and almost immediate loss of form after his back injury in 94/95, which coincided with the end of his peak.
    I see. Well most accounts of Waqar I've read tend to suggest he was no more than "normal" fast bowler speed - certainly not proper lightening fast. However, there were no speedguns in his heyday so we won't ever know absolutely for certain. One thing's for sure - the prodigious late inswing he got will always make him both look and feel faster, if perhaps not neccessarily by all that much.
    But every indication is that Steyn seems to be learning how to be a better bowler, as he showed in Australia
    I don't doubt that. However, regardless of this, there are limits to what he can achieve. He has no great height and bowls with a low-slung action to minimise what height he does have. Therefore his trajectory is always going to be low, and to attempt to change that would be enormously dangerous, as a wholesale overthrow of a bowling action is. And I don't even think he needs to - the low trajectory has its advantages from a wicket-taking POV.
    and his outswinger doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It's rare for any major bowler to lose a natural stock delivery.
    I certainly don't see Steyn losing his outswinger in that he suddenly just stops being able to bowl it, but the unfortunate nature of swing bowling is that there are times when, sometimes for not apparent reason, the ball just refuses to swing. It's incredibly annoying (IMO), but there's no way around it.

    Steyn generally does about all he can to get the ball to swing - his seam-position is and always has been absolutely beautiful - but nonetheless there will still be times, perhaps not all that often, but times nonetheless, when it doesn't swing for him. Under such circumstances, he's always going to struggle.

  8. #188
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    A year ago, when Lee was taking Indian wickets to stake his claim for the number one spot, I thought for sure he was the best fast bowler in the world. Sure, Dale Steyn was tearing through New Zealand and had just had an unbelievable year, but I thought that was just a purple patch and only Lee would go on to maintain his form.

    In hindsight, i think Steyn really was the best in the world at that time- he hadn't yet proven it, but in terms of ability, he was. His purple patch has gone on too long to maintain anything else. Funnily enough, that means that Lee never really was the world number one fast bowler, which pretty much hands the title to Dale Steyn on a platter.

    It's a question that's probably been asked of other greats early in their careers though. If he continues to play so well throughout his career I'm sure we'll look back on this thread in the same way as we'd look back on a "is Wasim Akram the worst fast bowler ever?" thread now.
    Personally I always had question-marks over whether Lee was going to maintain that form of 2007/08, and you can see it from my posts 8-9 months ago. While so many were hailing a new dawn, I was staying in the present. It doesn't especially surprise me that he now appears to have been unable to do so. HOWEVER, I still think he bowled better that 8-month period than Steyn has at any point in the last 3 years.

    There's no question that Steyn > Lee over their careers, and there's also precious little question that it's likely to stay that way. And I was always fairly certain it was going to. However, that brief period of excellence of Lee's I still think was not that far short of as good as you'll get. Which is something Steyn just does not have the tools to achieve. He can never be the near-complete seam-bowler.

  9. #189
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Personally I always had question-marks over whether Lee was going to maintain that form of 2007/08, and you can see it from my posts 8-9 months ago. While so many were hailing a new dawn, I was staying in the present. It doesn't especially surprise me that he now appears to have been unable to do so. HOWEVER, I still think he bowled better that 8-month period than Steyn has at any point in the last 3 years.

    There's no question that Steyn > Lee over their careers, and there's also precious little question that it's likely to stay that way. And I was always fairly certain it was going to. However, that brief period of excellence of Lee's I still think was not that far short of as good as you'll get. Which is something Steyn just does not have the tools to achieve. He can never be the near-complete seam-bowler.
    Rich, i think i've asked you this before, but surely a lot of the weaknesses you pinpoint in Steyn could be said of Malcolm Marshall? What's your view of him?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  10. #190
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Yeah I've said the bit about Marshall loads - Marshall in my view is so special because he achieved what virtually no short bowler ever has. He was accurate enough to hit the pinpoint length, again and again, that really short bowlers require in order to bowl as economically as taller ones and, of course, cash-in on the advantages of being short while he was at it.

    That's why I have him as the best seamer ever to walk the planet.

  11. #191
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    How come no-one brings up the "short fast bowler" limitations of Richard Hadlee or Dennis Lillee?

    Very similar in height to Steyn for mine.

  12. #192
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Lillee was, what, 6'3? 6'4? He was a borderline giant.

    Hadlee, not sure how tall he was, but one thing's for certain, he bowled upright. Steyn almost flings himself at the floor before letting go.

  13. #193
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Lillee was, what, 6'3? 6'4? He was a borderline giant.
    More like 5'11", 6', unless I'm mistaken...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  14. #194
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Lillee was, what, 6'3? 6'4? He was a borderline giant.
    I was thinking more 6'1". Same as Hadlee. Just imo.

  15. #195
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297


    Yes he's probably lost a little height at his age, but sub 6-foot today for mine.

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pakistan's top 10 bowlers.....ever
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
  2. The worst person in the world
    By pasag in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
  3. Is Michael Clarke the worst leaver in the game?
    By Mister Wright in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 01:09 PM
  4. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 28-01-2009, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •