• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Draft II

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Well I think that most of us want another draft - possibly with a variant of some kind?

I'm a bit torn as to where I want to go with it though - I think that a draft with loads of committed drafters would be great, to get deeper into the pool of players, but if there were people that kept needing to get skipped, then it would take ages for the people at the ends of the drafts to pick.

So, yeah, sign-up and suggest any variants or ideas you have :)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm in, however I probably won't be able to start until Monday morning Aussie time, so if I get drafter early, put me down the list a bit.

My suggestion is that we go through all the other drafts from the past month and exclude all players who have been selected. What do you say?

Matt79

Global Moderator
I unsurprisingly will be in. Rather than excluding swathes of players I'd prefer the challenge lie is selection criteria that make the strategy of who you pick when more challenging. The mystery draft was really good like that. I tend to find the different ways drafters try to put their team together and how they try to balance their teams more interesting than their knowledge of obscure players - that is interesting, just less so than the other things I mentioned.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Already? Kind of devalues the efforts put into the first one. I'd prefer to wait a few months. If this is going ahead anyway, why not just stipulate that participants may not pick anyone they've already picked in the first draft. Would be a relative advantage to new participants at the cost of the original ones, but it makes it interesting for the latter.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Maybe we could poll drafters as to the top five-eight players they think are available. The most commonly nominated players are then reserved until the last three rounds. ie if we have 6 people playing maybe the 18 most nominated players are off limits til Round 9, and maybe further, the 6 most nom'd players out of those 18 are banned until round 11.

To make it even more interesting, we could get someone neutral to collate those noms and then not tell us what the results are. We have to guess who's been reserved, and if you pick a nominated played too early, you get moved to last pick in that round. Then adds an element of strategy - I think Imran would be off limits, but would suspect that Flintoff is available straightaway. Do I wait til round 9 to get my allrounder, or get the best one I think us available now? And if I get it wrong about their availability my pick gets moved back.

Means we'll be forced to build teams without the usual suspects as the first players in place and will make the last few rounds a mad scramble.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I like the idea of not being able to re-draft people...

EDIT: Matt, I love you, you're a genius.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe we could poll drafters as to the top five-eight players they think are available. The most commonly nominated players are then reserved until the last three rounds. ie if we have 6 people playing maybe the 18 most nominated players are off limits til Round 9, and maybe further, the 6 most nom'd players out of those 18 are banned until round 11.

To make it even more interesting, we could get someone neutral to collate those noms and then not tell us what the results are. We have to guess who's been reserved, and if you pick a nominated played too early, you get moved to last pick in that round. Then adds an element of strategy - I think Imran would be off limits, but would suspect that Flintoff is available straightaway. Do I wait til round 9 to get my allrounder, or get the best one I think us available now? And if I get it wrong about their availability my pick gets moved back.

Means we'll be forced to build teams without the usual suspects as the first players in place and will make the last few rounds a mad scramble.
If you include pre WW1 players there would be quite a few all rounders left to pick better then Flintoff.

Julian87

State Captain
I'd really like to be in in.

I know I don't post here heaps, but knowing I'm in a draft, I'd be commited to it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If we do what I suggested, I'm happy to be the neutral party that compiles the nominations and confirms whether or not picks are ok. I'd suggest 8-10 participants only.

Isura

U19 Captain
Some suggestions.

- Mandatory detailed writeups of players. Use stats, article quotes, any to defend your player and explain why you picked him. This is a good way to learn about less know players, and increase everyone's cricket knowledge.

- Explain how your player fits the team's system. Don't pick 3 spinners if your home ground is in SA. Leadership, team harmony, are all important in success.

- Chose a specific era. For example, have modern era 1975-current (just throwing that date out there). This would thin the talent pool and force us to study lessor known players.

- Peak vs career? Do you get the player at his peak, or his career performance?

- Under 25 draft. Best young players ever. Eg, you get Bradman at 24, and ignore future performances. Similarly, an over 30 draft.

- Instead of simply voting the winning team, have someone do a full writeup of the series. Both teams present their case, and a neutral person does a writeup of the individual game/series. Basically, make up the scorecard and narrate the action.

99*

International Debutant
Some suggestions.

- Mandatory detailed writeups of players. Use stats, article quotes, any to defend your player and explain why you picked him. This is a good way to learn about less know players, and increase everyone's cricket knowledge. Agree

- Explain how your player fits the team's system. Don't pick 3 spinners if your home ground is in SA. Leadership, team harmony, are all important in success. Agree, would like to pick a ground first

- Chose a specific era. For example, have modern era 1975-current (just throwing that date out there). This would thin the talent pool and force us to study lessor known players. Agree

- Peak vs career? Do you get the player at his peak, or his career performance? Career for mine

- Under 25 draft. Best young players ever. Eg, you get Bradman at 24, and ignore future performances. Similarly, an over 30 draft. Disagree, should be a seperate draft for this idea imo

- Instead of simply voting the winning team, have someone do a full writeup of the series. Both teams present their case, and a neutral person does a writeup of the individual game/series. Basically, make up the scorecard and narrate the action. Agree
^