• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Draft II

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe we could poll drafters as to the top five-eight players they think are available. The most commonly nominated players are then reserved until the last three rounds. ie if we have 6 people playing maybe the 18 most nominated players are off limits til Round 9, and maybe further, the 6 most nom'd players out of those 18 are banned until round 11.

To make it even more interesting, we could get someone neutral to collate those noms and then not tell us what the results are. We have to guess who's been reserved, and if you pick a nominated played too early, you get moved to last pick in that round. Then adds an element of strategy - I think Imran would be off limits, but would suspect that Flintoff is available straightaway. Do I wait til round 9 to get my allrounder, or get the best one I think us available now? And if I get it wrong about their availability my pick gets moved back.

Means we'll be forced to build teams without the usual suspects as the first players in place and will make the last few rounds a mad scramble.
I love this idea, FTR, and think we should totally do it.

Evermind

International Debutant
Someone should also do a "Pick at most one player from each country draft". So you have 8 players from the top 8, 1 from bangladesh, and 2 wild cards - you are allowed pick the last 2 from any of the nations, but only the leftovers.

As in, everyone picks their 9 first, and the final two are grabbed from any country.

Or the final 2 could just be from non-test-playing nations - projected successes. Ireland, Holland, Kenya - I can think of some pretty good players from those places. But with no records, it might screw up the simulations.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I love this idea, FTR, and think we should totally do it.
Yeah, I don't know whther it will be the 'Test Draft 2', but I'm going to start a thread for this, probably this evening. Will put you down as a participant. I'll run it rather than participate myself.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Someone should also do a "Pick at most one player from each country draft". So you have 8 players from the top 8, 1 from bangladesh, and 2 wild cards - you are allowed pick the last 2 from any of the nations, but only the leftovers.

As in, everyone picks their 9 first, and the final two are grabbed from any country.

Or the final 2 could just be from non-test-playing nations - projected successes. Ireland, Holland, Kenya - I can think of some pretty good players from those places. But with no records, it might screw up the simulations.
Ummm sounds pretty close to Athlai's mystery drafts.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't know whther it will be the 'Test Draft 2', but I'm going to start a thread for this, probably this evening. Will put you down as a participant. I'll run it rather than participate myself.
Great :D. Count me in.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Matt, I think that if you pick someone on the "banned list", you should move down five places, rather than to the end of the round.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I just wanted to change my stance on this. Instead of taking away all players from any draft in the past month, Test version 2 should just be juts excluding all players from Test Version 1.

Their is certainly enough cricketers out there as so far we've just taken [14 x 11] 154 of them.

Isura

U19 Captain
Another point, I think these drafts should be reverse snake instead of snake. With 25 teams, order goes

Snake: 1-25-1-25-1-25...

Reverse snake: 1-25-25-1-1-25-25-1-1

Reverse snake is reduces the advantage of the teams picking early.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Isura every draft so far has been reverse snake, that's a fairly obvious advantage to pick first every time.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Another point, I think these drafts should be reverse snake instead of snake. With 25 teams, order goes

Snake: 1-25-1-25-1-25...

Reverse snake: 1-25-25-1-1-25-25-1-1

Reverse snake is reduces the advantage of the teams picking early.
Who'da thunk it? :-O