• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What penalty should be imposed upon West Indies cricket?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For the second time in recent memory, a test has been abandoned in the West Indies due to unfit playing conditions

This is an absolute disgrace!

Let's face it, hundreds of grade clubs around the world would be capable of producing test quality conditions given a bit of time yet the biggest charity case in world cricket cant produce a ground suitable for more than 10 balls play.

IMO, the basket case that is West Indies cricket should be placed under external administration with the feint hope that they can become capable of hosting major tours/tournaments and rescue their basically insolvent financial position.

End of rant!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
the feint hope
I do hate it when people pretend to hope but don't really.

Anyway, yes, it'd be ideal if some semi-decent administrators could be put in charge of West Indies cricket. You'd think, though, if it was going to happen it'd have happened by now.

Just to remind everyone - the groundstaff at the VRS gave notice that the outfield would not be ready by February after they dug it up in November. They were ignored.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
The fact is that the WICB have ruined all the good work that went on in Jamaica and it is just staggering that they couldn't take the time to get off their lazy asses to check the pitch... I know there West Indian, but come on there's a limit to the laziness... Also, an apology should be made to English fans and as far as I know I havn't heard one... the fact that they couldn't even tell those at the game that the test match was being abandoned is mind boggling - :wacko:

Hopefully someone at the top should get fired, but I don't think it's a post that they'll be many applicants for... it's an extremely difficult job ATM, with the killer financial situation, and the need to get some more youngsters on board...

BTW didn't appreciate the charity case comment, that's pretty ridiclous tbh, yes this act was a disgrace but to call the Windies a charity case is ott and unfair...

Precambrian

Banned
I do hate it when people pretend to hope but don't really.

Anyway, yes, it'd be ideal if some semi-decent administrators could be put in charge of West Indies cricket. You'd think, though, if it was going to happen it'd have happened by now.

Just to remind everyone - the groundstaff at the VRS gave notice that the outfield would not be ready by February after they dug it up in November. They were ignored.
Yeah, and what was the match referree, Sir Alan Hurst doing even after seeing the direness of the ground? He ffs let the match proceed, a huge risk to the opening bowlers, who were lucky to come out of the ordeal with no grave career ending injuries.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not sure if it's just the Referee who's to blame, but I was in agreeance completely with everyone who was saying "they should've tested the waters the day before the game". Running at full tilt as if to bowl on the run-up area isn't that much of an ask.

I don't know whether the fans'd have regarded it as better or worse for the game to be abandoned the day before before they'd even seen any evidence of it being tested-out.

Craig

World Traveller
Reading the comments section onthe story on Cricinfo, and one of them called for their resignations, I couldn't agree more.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So is it off, or are they moving it to the Recreation Ground Heard talk that was an option.

If they don't move it, then a couple more days rain arpind the next Test, and the Windies will have a series win over England. To that extent, the fiasco will be worth it :p

Jigga988

State 12th Man
So is it off, or are they moving it to the Recreation Ground Heard talk that was an option.

If they don't move it, then a couple more days rain arpind the next Test, and the Windies will have a series win over England. To that extent, the fiasco will be worth it :p
There moving it to the ARG, first day will start on sunday all this including the pitch is just going to suit England perfectly... serves us right for being so lazy

pskov

International 12th Man
Yeah, and what was the match referree, Sir Alan Hurst doing even after seeing the direness of the ground? He ffs let the match proceed, a huge risk to the opening bowlers, who were lucky to come out of the ordeal with no grave career ending injuries.
It's not the match referee's remit to call off a match due to playing conditions, that is solely up to the umpires, even if the match has yet to start.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The fact is that the WICB have ruined all the good work that went on in Jamaica and it is just staggering that they couldn't take the time to get off their lazy asses to check the pitch... I know there West Indian, but come on there's a limit to the laziness... Also, an apology should be made to English fans and as far as I know I havn't heard one... the fact that they couldn't even tell those at the game that the test match was being abandoned is mind boggling - :wacko:

Hopefully someone at the top should get fired, but I don't think it's a post that they'll be many applicants for... it's an extremely difficult job ATM, with the killer financial situation, and the need to get some more youngsters on board...

BTW didn't appreciate the charity case comment, that's pretty ridiclous tbh, yes this act was a disgrace but to call the Windies a charity case is ott and unfair...
WICB HQ being in Antigua as well and it's not a particularly large country.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Oh from my understanding the WICB has a cloak of immunity. Meaning it operates outside the jurisdiction of any Caribbean court. So if one was to file a lawsuit against them it'd probably have to be in an international court or something to that effect if that's possible at all. Accountable to no one they are except the ICC it seems. CA has to follow the Australian givernment guidelines set out for companies while the WICB follows its own. Itstl.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
i blame the icc more-they should have known something is bound to happen in the windies after last time and hence should have monitered all the grounds.

pup11

International Coach
I think VRS has always had outfield related problems, right through the WC, a lot of players had hamstring or calf problems due to playing on the sand based outfield at the VRS.

I think something should have been done about this then itself, but this is a real shame for West Indian cricket, its easy for everyone to point fingers at each other, and WICB might very well be the guilty party here, but West Indian cricket and its cricketers are the one's, whom stuff like this would effect the most.

After a tremendous win at Jamaica, the morale and confidence of the West Indian players would have been at an all time high, and they would have so much better off without an embarrassing incident like this.

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's beyond the joke, what has happened in the West Indies, but why didn't the ICC know ahead of time, surly they check these thing out before hand?

Evermind

International Debutant
It's beyond the joke, what has happened in the West Indies, but why didn't the ICC know ahead of time, surly they check these thing out before hand?
Because they just care about money and not really about the cricket. Similar things happen when you put businessmen in art, science, other sports, etc - all they care about is money and nothing else.