• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What penalty should be imposed upon West Indies cricket?

Slifer

International Captain
The WICB should be sacked and test cricket in the WI played only in the following countries: St Lucia, Jamaica, Trinidad, St. Kitts, Barbados, Grenada with St Vincent servoing as back up. The Antiguan cricket board should be severely remanded and have test status removed from all their grounds until they can get their act together. Im so upset by this situation its not even funny.

jeevan

International 12th Man
The WICB should be sacked and test cricket in the WI played only in the following countries: St Lucia, Jamaica, Trinidad, St. Kitts, Barbados, Grenada with St Vincent servoing as back up. The Antiguan cricket board should be severely remanded and have test status removed from all their grounds until they can get their act together. Im so upset by this situation its not even funny.
Why no Guyana?

Jigga988

State 12th Man
i blame the icc more-they should have known something is bound to happen in the windies after last time and hence should have monitered all the grounds.
Yeah, ICC need to take some blame, the fact that they could sanction a match despite groundsmen telling them that the ground would under no circumstances be ready is poor and accentuates how money loving and perdantic the ICC is. They care more about branding than they do cricket... this isn't helping the game in the slightest. WICB and ICC need revamping tbh

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was it the ICC that was told to or the Antiguan Cricket Board and the WICB?
I don't think we ever found that out. You'd imagine the Antiguan Board would be the likeliest - the groundstaff are, after all, employees of said Board. The most imagineable course of action was that the Antiguan Board "highups" were told by the groundstaff it wouldn't be fit and just thought they'd brush it under the carpet and try to stop the WICB finding-out in order that they'd not start to be treated unfavourably and possibly lose the Test (let's face it, if this had been known 3 months ago they'd not have moved it to The ARG, they'd have relocated it to another island). What they've ended-up doing is making the WICB look even more foolish (not that the WICB don't deserve that for not keeping a closer check on the Antiguan Board) and hopefully they're now going to be kept a far closer eye on before being awarded further Tests.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All grounds where? In just the WI alone?
Given the amount of cash I$C$C have and the amount of trivial things they look at, you'd not imagine it's all that much to ask to employ one person as a sort of grounds superintendent. There's no more than 40 or so regularly active grounds around the cricket World, plus a few which occasionally get awarded international games, so it's not like he'd be having to make 50 phonecalls a day. All he'd need to do would be to liase with various parties from time to time and take particular care about grounds which had recently had one issue or another.

I don't remotely expect this to be done, but I do think it'd be a good idea.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Was just from what I picked up from his post that there should only be one in the West Indies since we're incompetent.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Interesting to hear what people are thinking about Sir Vivian Richards stadium being threatened to lose test status, seems like a scapegoat to me. Nothing to do with the ground or the ground staff, just incompetence of ICC and WICB, don't know when exactly the ground will be playable again but surely it shouldn't lose test status for making necessery repairs?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The only way this is remotely the ICC's fault is that the ICC Math Referee might have stepped in beforehand and asked the bowlers to try a few if he didn't feel it up to scratch. But that wouldn't have prevented this situation from occurring in the first place.

It's the responsibility of the home board to prepare pitches and the outfield, not the ICC.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
The only way this is remotely the ICC's fault is that the ICC Math Referee might have stepped in beforehand and asked the bowlers to try a few if he didn't feel it up to scratch. But that wouldn't have prevented this situation from occurring in the first place.

It's the responsibility of the home board to prepare pitches and the outfield, not the ICC.
If the groundsmen said to the ICC the pitch wouldn't be ready about four months ago when schedule was beign planned then ICC is partly to blame, don't get me wrong the WICB holds more blame for not bothering to monitor the ground but they're not fully to blame I don't think.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If the groundsmen said to the ICC the pitch wouldn't be ready about four months ago when schedule was beign planned then ICC is partly to blame, don't get me wrong the WICB holds more blame for not bothering to monitor the ground but they're not fully to blame I don't think.
Again, the groundsmen told that to the WICB. If he told the ICC, the most they could do is inform the WICB. The WICB is the final judge when it comes to deciding what grounds they want to hold a Test match on.