View Poll Results: The better allrounder?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sir Garfield Sobers

107 71.33%
  • Jaques Kallis

34 22.67%
  • Precambrian

9 6.00%
Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Kallis Vs Sobers

Banned

Kallis Vs Sobers

Who was the better allrounder?

For me it is Kallis considering he has a better bowling record overall, and a batting record comparable to Sobers at the time both played equal number of matches (ie 93)

Anyway I am prepared to argue further, but let me see the response to this thread here.

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Sobers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kallis
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

I've backflipped on this a fair few times. I just don't really know anymore. I'm going to vote for Kallis though because I'm biased.
    ~ Cribbage

Banned
    Sobers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kallis
    And why?

They have comparable bowling records without minnows, 34 each.

And if you remove India out of Sober's record, since India of the 1950s were like Zimbabwe of the pre 2003, the bowling average becomes even worse.

Not to mention that Sober's batting record too is inflated heavily by India figures again.

EDIT : Thanks Mr. Mystic Z for the vote. With your immense predictive skills of late, who knows I might not be another Diamanti??

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    hahaha

Am not even going to go there again

Precam, I'm with you buddy, but you are going to cop a flaming

Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    And why?

They have comparable bowling records without minnows, 34 each.

And if you remove India out of Sober's record, since India of the 1950s were like Zimbabwe of the pre 2003, the bowling average becomes even worse.

Not to mention that Sober's batting record too is inflated heavily by India figures again.

EDIT : Thanks Mr. Mystic Z for the vote. With your immense predictive skills of late, who knows I might not be another Diamanti??
    Sobers is far and away the better batsman, and in bowling they're probably about equal with Sobers once again likely having the edge. This isn't a statistics thing, or records this is just purely cricketing history.

Sobers and Kallis are/were both batting all-rounders. Therefore I'd judge their respective merits, first and foremost, by the quality of their batting.

Sobers seems to have been the better batsman. We don't even need to rely on matters of debatable relevance, such as flair or aggressiveness, in order to demonstrate this. The stats do the talking. Quite simply, to average 57.78 in his day was a greater achievement than to average 54.57 (51.38 against non-minnows) in the modern game.

As for their bowling, their records are comparable and it's hard to choose between them. Kallis' record is better in some respects (both average 34 against non-minnows, but Kallis did so on better batting pitches) but you cannot discount the fact that Sobers offered other options to his captain by being able to bowl spin. So this is a very hard one to call. Moreover, as I said at the outset, bowling is both players' second string and therefore even if there were a measurable difference between them in bowling, this would be outweighed by the difference in batting.

As for fielding, Kallis is an excellent slip catcher, while Sobers was pretty much the best fielder in the world (perhaps excepting Colin Bland) during his day. So I don't think there's much between them there.

Overall, then, Sobers wins for me. However I still believe that Kallis is a magnificent player, and a great of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    You are more than welcome. Richly deserved.

Sobers is far and away the better batsman, and in bowling they're probably about equal with Sobers once again likely having the edge. This isn't a statistics thing, or records this is just purely cricketing history.
    Is it? or is it legend built up over the years and established wisdom (which is often lazy).

FTR, I go with Sobers purely based on comparison with their peers. He would have been a concensus number 1 batsman in the World for much of his career. Something it is hard to say of Kallis.

Im not too bothered about the actual stats but more about how they rated amongst their peers.

I find it very possible that Kallis maybe a better allrounder in real terms than Sobers, but judged amongst those they played with, and relative to their era, I think Sobers clearly tops Kallis.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Precam, I admire that you put your cajones on the line. I've already argued a lot against this idol that has been made of Garry Sobers. A great cricketer indeed. But anyone saying the distance between him and Kallis is large...simply hasn't checked their records properly.

I'll weigh in if I see you're not mentioning something.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

International 12th Man
    Sobers the better batsman (especially considering their respective eras), Kallis the better bowler, Sobers the better fielder, so I'd go with Sobers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Sobers and Kallis are/were both batting all-rounders. Therefore I'd judge their respective merits, first and foremost, by the quality of their batting.

Sobers seems to have been the better batsman. We don't even need to rely on matters of debatable relevance, such as flair or aggressiveness, in order to demonstrate this. The stats do the talking. Quite simply, to average 57.78 in his day was a greater achievement than to average 54.57 (51.38 against non-minnows) in the modern game.

As for their bowling, their records are comparable and it's hard to choose between them. Kallis' record is better in some respects (both average 34 against non-minnows, but Kallis did so on better batting pitches) but you cannot discount the fact that Sobers offered other options to his captain by being able to bowl spin. So this is a very hard one to call. Moreover, as I said at the outset, bowling is both players' second string and therefore even if there were a measurable difference between them in bowling, this would be outweighed by the difference in batting.

As for fielding, Kallis is an excellent slip catcher, while Sobers was pretty much the best fielder in the world (perhaps excepting Colin Bland) during his day. So I don't think there's much between them there.

Overall, then, Sobers wins for me. However I still believe that Kallis is a magnificent player, and a great of the game.
    Agree wholly to the bowling and fielding aspects.

But don't you think Sober's average of 57 is a tad over-rated? Considering his averages are boosted heavily by performances against India, who were minnows as far as bowling was concerned during that period??

And Kallis had much more pressure coping with a hectic International schedule, more nations to tour, ODI matches to play, etc? So should we not make some allowance in that regard?

Sobers for the reasons mentioned already - he has a better batting record in relative terms in my opinion, and any slight edge Kallis has in career bowling record is negated by the fact that Sobers offered not only seam bowling that ranged from near-express to medium paced swing, but bowled wrist and finger spin. Also, it seems to be the consensus that his seam bowling was better than his spin, and yet he bowled spin when it suited his team for him to do so - if he had only bowled his most effective style, his bowling record would probably be better.

That's enough, but I think there's also enough stylistic points re: their batting to weigh the scales slightly further to Sobers. If a criticism can fairly be made of Kallis' batting, its that he's sometimes a bit too one-paced. Sobers was, by all accounts, more flexible in this regard, and was able to up the tempo more effectively than Kallis. Wouldn't make a decision solely on this point, but it adds to the trend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Is it? or is it legend built up over the years and established wisdom (which is often lazy).
    I guess I just have faith in those older than me with cricketing knowledge.

Banned
    And exactly what do you mean by their cricketing histories? If anything was to be said, batting was easier during Sober's period. Demonstrated by pretty lack of standard oppositions barring Australia (average record) and England (against whom Sobers prospered tbf). Sobers scored heavily against India and Pakistan, and both teams at that point in time hardly could boast of superlative bowlers. Not to mention his surprisingly terrible record against NZ (23 in 12 matches) which due to ignorance of NZ's bowling during that period, I cannot elaborate on.

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information