• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZs Bowling Attack For India

NZs best Bowling attack for India?

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
Just having a think about our bowling attack for the tests. (Thread because I want a poll)

Obv. O'Brilliant is a walk in along with Oram coz he's the allrounder. Vettori will play as the spinner, that leaves at most two places unless we use Ryder as fifth bowler (unlikely).

Martin
Southee
Mills
Boult
Gillespie
Jimmeh
Patel

Now obv. O'Brilliant is awesome, can bowl well on anything, Oram is very much fifth bowler material: good on a seaming track and his bounce and accuracy make him OK, but nothing more.

Martin has lost the destructive streak he had, he's more consistent now but generally picks up 3/90, which is OK but nothing amazing, and the selectors are obviously annoyed with it. Mills is lethal with the new ball but without it he's practically useless. Gillespie is obv. inconsistent and has been treated a bit harshly on here, he bowled very well in SA but he's not exactly hammering down the door. Southee is world class when its swinging but club level when its not. Boult is likely the same as Southee. Jimmy Franklin was extremely high quality in tests at one stage but now looks very underdone after injury.
Patel is a solid offie, but thats it.

So its all a bit hmm. Obv. the Indian seam attack is limited as well (thank God) so that saves us a bit. Other possibles I suppose are the likes of Thompson, but he'd be the same as Mills in test matches imo, probably worse. Wagner can't be picked, no way would I pick Davidson yet, (might include him in the poll, even though I'm the only one who really talks about him). Trying to have a think about others on the domestic scene, the so called potentials that talkback loves so much (Bennet, Sherlock, McClennaghan) suck and I refuse to put them on this poll. Somehow can't see Diamanti, Scott, or Arnel being much use. I'll include an other option though just in case I've missed somebody blindingly obvious.

adharcric

International Coach
Flem274* said:
Obv. the Indian seam attack is limited as well (thank God) so that saves us a bit.
How is the Indian pace attack limited? Zaheer and Ishant are on song and Munaf may have been the third seamer even if Sreesanth and RP Singh were around. The reserves are relatively depleted but don't underestimate Praveen Kumar - his game is made for the pitches in NZ.

Flem274*

123/5
How is the Indian pace attack limited? Zaheer and Ishant are on song and Munaf may have been the third seamer even if Sreesanth and RP Singh were around. The reserves are relatively depleted but don't underestimate Praveen Kumar - his game is made for the pitches in NZ.
I've heard good things about Kumar but he's very inexperienced isn't he? Also I'm very wary of Zaheer and Ishant, but don't really see much behind them, though I'm always quite pessimistic about Indian seamers tbf because they always seem to start brilliantly and fall away unfortunately.

They shouldn't have much dificulty dispatching of our openers though, our middle order is easily our strength.

99*

International Debutant
O'Brien
Southee/Martin
Mills
Vettori
Oram

With Ryder playing a part time role.

Maybe in a lineup of:

1- Guptil
2- McIntosh
3- Ryder
4- Taylor
5- Flynn
6- McCullum/Elliott (if no Oram)
7- Oram/McCullum
8- Vettori
9- Mills
10- Southee/Martin in non-swing conditions.
11- O'Brien

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
O'Brien
Southee/Martin
Mills
Vettori
Oram

With Ryder playing a part time role.

Maybe in a lineup of:

1- Guptil
2- McIntosh
3- Ryder
4- Taylor
5- Flynn
6- McCullum/Elliott (if no Oram)
7- Oram/McCullum
8- Vettori
9- Mills
10- Southee/Martin in non-swing conditions.
11- O'Brien
Yup agree with the team above - thats almost exactly what I'd had in mind, back-up options included - though would have Martin as first choice ahead of Southee.

Last edited:

99*

International Debutant
Yup agree with the team above - thats almost exactly what I'd had in mind, back-up options include - though would have Martin as first choice ahead of Southee.
Yeah either or for me really, I just think if Southee is going to be the future of the NZ bowling attack he really should get used to bowling in all conditions.

Polo23

International Debutant
Firstly, Flynn has to stay at 3, and Ryder 5.

Secondly Mills is too slow for test cricket, in the last year or two he has dropped 5k's in pace. He's now bowling consistent high 120's, low 130's. Southee should get the gig IMO, at least he has a bit more pace (high 130's) and obviously has a lot of improvement left in him.

My lineup:

McIntosh
Guptill
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Broom/Oram
McCullum+
Vettori*
Southee
O'Brien
Martin

Ryder with the 4th seamers role if Oram misses out.

Last edited:

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
My bowling attack would be:

Martin
Mills
Oram
Vettori
Jeetan/O'Brien (depending on whether they want to play 2 spinners or not)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fitness dependent, O'Brien, Vettori, Mills and Oram would be automatic picks for me. The final place would go to Jimmy Franklin IF he's back to bowling anything like he can in FC cricket. Otherwise it would go to Jeetan Patel UNLESS the ball doesn't look like turning and could well swing, in which case, Tim Southee.

I don't rate Chris Martin.

Precambrian

Banned
I've heard good things about Kumar but he's very inexperienced isn't he? Also I'm very wary of Zaheer and Ishant, but don't really see much behind them, though I'm always quite pessimistic about Indian seamers tbf because they always seem to start brilliantly and fall away unfortunately.

They shouldn't have much dificulty dispatching of our openers though, our middle order is easily our strength.
Sorry mate, but you should have been under a rock since 2008. Because Indian bowling in tests is imho second to only South Africa at the moment.

Flem274*

123/5
Sorry mate, but you should have been under a rock since 2008. Because Indian bowling in tests is imho second to only South Africa at the moment.
Sorry, should have said seam attack. Zaheer, Ishant...can't really think of anyone else. Obv. Mishra is a promising spinner, Bhaji is suspect outside the subcontinent. Sreesanth has lots of potential but is pretty meh to me atm, Munaf and Kumar iirc don't have a lot of games between them, RP and Pathan just plain suck.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
I would love a Left armer in Franklin but he is not bowling so my picks would be
Obrien
Mills
Martin
Vettori

big Jesse can chip few overs so just the 4 bowlers

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sorry, should have said seam attack. Zaheer, Ishant...can't really think of anyone else. Obv. Mishra is a promising spinner, Bhaji is suspect outside the subcontinent. Sreesanth has lots of potential but is pretty meh to me atm, Munaf and Kumar iirc don't have a lot of games between them, RP and Pathan just plain suck.
In seaming conditions, I'd really back all three of Sreesanth, Kumar, and Munaf. They get a worse rap than they deserve due to having to bowl on pitches crap for fast bowling.

I'm not going to go to the best pace attack nonsense, but frankly, I'd back our pace attack to do real well on pitches in New Zealand. If we go in with three seamers, I think all three of them will be effective. Obviously, I don't know the comparative effectiveness against New Zealand seamers who will be playing on home turf, and our batsmen could just implode like they did on the last tour, but going in, it's not the pace attack that's worrying me.