• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you do better than Andy Whittall?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So serious question, given 10 Test matches do you think you could finish with a better record than Andy Whittall?

Andy Whittall

10 Tests. Batting av of 7.6 with highest score of 17 and bowling average of 105.14 with 7 wickets.

So do you think you could improve on that?

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
No, I've actually bowled to a Cambridge University batsman while on great form and never looked like troubling him. In international cricket, I doubt I'd ever take a wicket. As for batting, anything over 70mph tends to trouble me.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He had 18 innings. IMO, there is no way I dont score > 20 in at least 1 of those innings and Im a number 11.

Id hopefully have a better batting average and Id certainly back myself to have a better bowing average, though a few big non-fers could really screw that.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Batting, no. Bowling, I might be able to manage a couple of lucky wickets if I was on form, but it'd still be a long shot.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No. Unless the ball just happened to connect and I hit a lucky boundary, and then my partner got out, and I ended my career with 4* as my only score, and thus an infinite average.

I wouldn't make it past 4*.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Absolutely no way. I consider myself a pretty decent batsman, but I seriously think I would be out for a duck in about 95/100 innings at Test level.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
not a chance with the bat. But with my non turning slow offies if i get a cracked up pitch and bit of luck i will do better than him

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I noticed Whittal's career for the dire draft thing.

I'm going to say YES, I'll beat him batting, why not.. A few glides to third man, a couple of shots straight down the ground of a spinner a few not outs, I'll average more!

Bowling well, this is going to be tough, my economy is going to be way worse then 2.82 per over. Doubt I'd end up with a better average if I were to bowl 260 overs. I reckon I'd perform better then the Bangadeshi Aziz.

Don't forget he played NZ, Pak and SL, not the hardest of matches.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say I could manage about the same stats as that, however on a decent wicket against less than great bowlers I'd back myself to get a better high score than that.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
If I played in 10 Tests and bowled a few overs in each I might take a wicket or two. I might also score the odd streaky 4 off the outside edge.

Bowling average way over 100
Batting average comfortably below 4
Fielding embarrassingly inept and ponderous

Top_Cat

Tuckett's batting average was inflated by the not out.

For an all-round Test career it's very hard to look beyond Gavin Hamilton
He's gun in ICC2002, though.

Myself, not a chance. Either batting or bowling. Maybe when i was playing regularly, I could have stolen a wicket or two but still doubt very much I'd take as many Test scalps as he did.

Quite liked Andy Whittal, to be honest.

Burgey

5-10 year ago, with the bat yeah. Bowling? I don't get a bowl in a Chinese restaurant.

Julian87

State Captain
No chance I'd do better in terms of batting.

I'd like to think I could beat his bowling record, and I suppose it is plausible. But then I consider my leg breaks on day 2 Adelaide Oval pitches, bowling to the likes of the top 25 batsman and shudder.

I reckon I could get a few wickets in the bottom order, but I'd get absolutely taken by 99% of guys batting 8 and above at test level.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now...no chance.

Before...Bowling: only if I got to bowl solely at the likes of Chris Martin. If I got a wicket that offered a ****load of movement I might get a lucky wicket somewhere else. Batting:...:laugh::laugh::laugh: no chance. But I reckon I'd score a run. Might end up with better stats than Chris Martin if I got an edge on one that ricocheted off my helmet.