View Poll Results: Who is India's best ever Test cricketer?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kapil Dev

    6 12.00%
  • Rahul Dravid

    3 6.00%
  • Sunil Gavaskar

    3 6.00%
  • Anil Kumble

    4 8.00%
  • Vinoo Mankad

    1 2.00%
  • Virender Sehwag

    0 0%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

    33 66.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: Who is India's best ever Test cricketer?

  1. #31
    School Boy/Girl Captain grant28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    149
    Sachin, probably because of the way he attracts the fans

  2. #32
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,692
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    A wonderful player mate - but even if he did count, you consider 15 Tests and less than 1000 runs makes him a greater Test cricketer than Tendulkar/Gavaskar/Kapil Dev?
    Hmmm, well, if he really was better at playing cricket, why would it matter how many tests he played?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  3. #33
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,012
    for me its

    Sachin
    Gavaskar
    Kumble \ Kapil
    Dravid
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Actually, does Ranji count?

    If so, Ranji
    I would too, had the question been the best test cricketer India produced prior to World War II


  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Hmmm, well, if he really was better at playing cricket, why would it matter how many tests he played?
    Heck of lot of speculation involved then. Not to mention arbitrary judgements. And I don't think anyone have seen him actually play. And Ian Bell has a on drive to die for.

  6. #36
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Heck of lot of speculation involved then. Not to mention arbitrary judgements. And I don't think anyone have seen him actually play. And Ian Bell has a on drive to die for.
    That's certainly not to say he couldn't have been their best though.

  7. #37
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    A wonderful player mate - but even if he did count, you consider 15 Tests and less than 1000 runs makes him a greater Test cricketer than Tendulkar/Gavaskar/Kapil Dev?
    Tricky. Tests were different in those days, and much less frequent of course.

    I just think that bagapath's description of Gavaskar should in fact be applied to Ranji.
    it has to be sunil gavaskar. first for believing and then for demonstrating that an indian cricketer could be the best in the world in his discipline
    Bagapath goes on to refer to the colonial / patronising comments made about Ranji's play - most famously "not one Christian stroke". However even if such views were expressed about him they don't in any way diminish him as a player. In particular they didn't stop him "first believing and then demonstrating that an indian cricketer could be the best in the world in his discipline". He did both of these things.

    As to believing that he could be the best, he said so: there's the old story about when he and C.B. Fry were asked who was the greatest batsman of all time. He turned to Fry and said "I think, Charles, that I was better than you on a soft wicket."

    As to being the best, he was.

    And as to not playing for India, well I think that this shouldn't stop Indians claiming him as their own for the purposes of this kind of discussion.

    Finally, and here we're going off on a real tangent, a word about the views expressed about him. Yes he was called "wristy", but this seems to have been an accurate description of his method of batting. I don't see anything wrong with that. And even though some other comments were couched in language which, a century on, seems rather jarring to the modern ear, those who wrote about him at the time did so with universal admiration. It is to England's credit that his colour and nationality did not prevent him from making a career here and being selected to play for England.

  8. #38
    Cricket Spectator Australia#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    36
    I would say Dravid, constantly stood up when India most needed him, won and saved alot of Tests for India.

  9. #39
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,811
    Tendulkar by light years. As good as some of the others in the poll are Tendulkar is one of the few true geniuses in cricket history.

  10. #40
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Tendulkar by light years. As good as some of the others in the poll are Tendulkar is one of the few true geniuses in cricket history.
    this..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  11. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    That's certainly not to say he couldn't have been their best though.
    Why you'd venture to put Ranji ahead of Tendulkar?

  12. #42
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,369
    There are a few who can lay claim to being India's greatest cricketer, but the outcome of their achievements has been very different, as also what they have done when they have played for their team. Tendulkar is in for the skill, the numbers and the longevity. Gavaskar has scored runs in very tight situations and often won matches for his team, and has been a decent captain when called on. Dravid has played a little less than Tendulkar, but he's been a multi-purpose, all-terrain, all-weather player who's been unglamorous, yet effective. Kumble's tally of over 600 wickets can't be surpassed too easily, and that's a very meaningful record in an age of flat pitches, declining bowling and crumbling batting records.

    The one who should genuinely be ahead in the race, however, is Kapil Dev. He single-handedly changed the way cricket was played in India. When there was a stereotype that India has no fast bowlers, which became a norm for selection, he proved everyone wrong. When India's spin quartet faded in Pakistan and with it the team's fortunes, he brought them back in the hunt. Let's not forget India's greatest cricketing triumph- the World Cup victory- he had a hand in it, as all-rounder and captain. While he was one of the leading bowlers in world cricket, even being on top of the table for some time, he also scored vital runs for his team. He gave more than a hundred per cent when he played for India, and could carry a whole team on his own. While statistics may not be so impressive now, no Indian player has made the kind of impact on the game, especially in his own country, like Kapil.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

    Twenty20 used to be boring.

    Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

  13. #43
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    There are a few who can lay claim to being India's greatest cricketer, but the outcome of their achievements has been very different, as also what they have done when they have played for their team. Tendulkar is in for the skill, the numbers and the longevity. Gavaskar has scored runs in very tight situations and often won matches for his team, and has been a decent captain when called on. Dravid has played a little less than Tendulkar, but he's been a multi-purpose, all-terrain, all-weather player who's been unglamorous, yet effective. Kumble's tally of over 600 wickets can't be surpassed too easily, and that's a very meaningful record in an age of flat pitches, declining bowling and crumbling batting records.

    The one who should genuinely be ahead in the race, however, is Kapil Dev. He single-handedly changed the way cricket was played in India. When there was a stereotype that India has no fast bowlers, which became a norm for selection, he proved everyone wrong. When India's spin quartet faded in Pakistan and with it the team's fortunes, he brought them back in the hunt. Let's not forget India's greatest cricketing triumph- the World Cup victory- he had a hand in it, as all-rounder and captain. While he was one of the leading bowlers in world cricket, even being on top of the table for some time, he also scored vital runs for his team. He gave more than a hundred per cent when he played for India, and could carry a whole team on his own. While statistics may not be so impressive now, no Indian player has made the kind of impact on the game, especially in his own country, like Kapil.
    Test cricket only, Arjun

    I do agree about Kapil being better than his overall record suggests. The batting average would definitely had been much better if he had not been the stock bowler throughout his career, and he was on par with Gavaskar and Tendulkar as far as the best performances coming against the best team of their respective eras goes. In fact he has both the best batting average and best bowling average of all the 4 great allrounders when playing against the West Indies in the Caribbean.

  14. #44
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Hmmm, well, if he really was better at playing cricket, why would it matter how many tests he played?
    Because the question is about who is India’s best Test cricketer. I’d therefore consider achievements in Test cricket to be reasonably relevant.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

  15. #45
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,518
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Tricky. Tests were different in those days, and much less frequent of course.

    I just think that bagapath's description of Gavaskar should in fact be applied to Ranji.


    Bagapath goes on to refer to the colonial / patronising comments made about Ranji's play - most famously "not one Christian stroke". However even if such views were expressed about him they don't in any way diminish him as a player. In particular they didn't stop him "first believing and then demonstrating that an indian cricketer could be the best in the world in his discipline". He did both of these things.

    As to believing that he could be the best, he said so: there's the old story about when he and C.B. Fry were asked who was the greatest batsman of all time. He turned to Fry and said "I think, Charles, that I was better than you on a soft wicket."

    As to being the best, he was.

    And as to not playing for India, well I think that this shouldn't stop Indians claiming him as their own for the purposes of this kind of discussion.

    Finally, and here we're going off on a real tangent, a word about the views expressed about him. Yes he was called "wristy", but this seems to have been an accurate description of his method of batting. I don't see anything wrong with that. And even though some other comments were couched in language which, a century on, seems rather jarring to the modern ear, those who wrote about him at the time did so with universal admiration. It is to England's credit that his colour and nationality did not prevent him from making a career here and being selected to play for England.
    Wonderful answer mate - I wouldn't disagree with any of what you've said there about Ranji, he was quite obviously a magical player. You're right that much of the contemporary writings about him seem at best antiquated and at worst racist, and yet as you say there is not an account to be found of his batsmanship that isn't gushing in praise.

    Much has been said and written on his partnerships with Fry, though the one player from that era who I think it would have been the ultimate dream to see him bat with was Trumper. That would, to me, have been the Golden Age at its most Golden.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. TWC quiz
    By Somerset in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 27-03-2010, 04:07 PM
  2. England axe Test for South Africa tour
    By biased indian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 26-01-2009, 12:30 PM
  3. Best of the non test playing countries XI
    By Migara in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 20-01-2009, 04:22 PM
  4. test
    By James in forum Testing Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •