Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Who is India's best ever Test cricketer?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kapil Dev

6 12.00%
  • Rahul Dravid

3 6.00%
  • Sunil Gavaskar

3 6.00%
  • Anil Kumble

4 8.00%
  • Vinoo Mankad

1 2.00%
  • Virender Sehwag

0 0%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

33 66.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is India's best ever Test cricketer?

Voted for Tendulkar. But there's a very strong case to be made for both Gavaskar and Kapil.

Also Kumble I suppose - and I take the point about his match-winning record - but in evaluating him it's hard to ignore how (relatively) ineffectual he was away from home.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    1. Anil Kumble
    2. Tendulkar
    3. Kapil Dev
    4. Sunil Gavaskar
    5. Rahul Dravid

If its on talent, then the list would be:

1. Tendulkar
    2. Kapil Dev
    3. Sunil Gavaskar
    4. Rahul Dravid
    5. Anil Kumble

I dare anyone to tell me another player who has won more Test matches for India than Anil Kumble has. If winning is the criteria, than it has to be Kumble.

For about fifteen years, if Kumble did well, India won. If he didn't, India lost. The equation was really that simple. He didn't do well overseas, thus we lost. When he didn't do well at home, we lost or drew. When he did well, we almost invariably won.
    That's odd- India's greatest ever cricketer was a "step-and-fetch-it bloke"?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Actually, considering some of the things he wrote and said, I bet he wouldn't.

A batsman would have to be good to be better than an average bowler, a good bowler is better than a good batsman, etc. So Bradman is obviously so much better than any bowler that he'd be better, but if a bowler was as far away from his competition as Bradman is from his, that bowler would be the better player.
    By that standard, Tendulkar was a better batsman than Kumble was a bowler so he should be on par or ahead of him as a cricketer. Kumble was an absolute champion, but India's dependency on him to win tests home and abroad also says something about the quality of our other bowlers. On top of that, Kumble wouldn't have won those matches without batsmen like Tendulkar scoring runs, just as Tendulkar wouldn't have won those matches without bowlers like Kumble taking wickets. Look beyond the obvious and you'll see that batsmen are match-winners too. I can see why you'd take the bowler every time if you had to choose between a batsman and a bowler of equal quality but you're exaggerating the gap IMO. India have two batsmen in the Top 10 of all-time and another in the Top 20, whereas Kumble probably wouldn't even crack a Top 25 list for bowlers. I really admire Kumble but there's no way I'd put him down as India's greatest test cricketer.

1) Sachin Tendulkar
    2) Sunil Gavaskar
    3) Anil Kumble
    4) Kapil Dev
    5) Rahul Dravid
    Last edited by adharcric; 11-02-2009 at 07:07 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    By that standard, Tendulkar was a better batsman than Kumble was a bowler so he should be on par or ahead of him as a cricketer.
    Not by an enough of a margin.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    That's odd- India's greatest ever cricketer was a "step-and-fetch-it bloke"?
    A sad indictment on Indian cricket history - primary reason we rarely ever won outside the subcontinent.

Not by an enough of a margin.
    Disagree, but you're telling me you rate Kumble ahead of Jack Hobbs (3), Viv Richards (5) and Brian Lara (6) as well? Just going by CW's verdict in the Ranking the Batsmen thread I facilitated a a few years ago.
    Last edited by adharcric; 11-02-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Same as I said with Tendulkar - as talents? No. Impact on the team? Probably more than all three. At least more than Viv RIchards and Brian Lara. Bowlers simply win more matches. If I were starting a team, aside from Bradman, I'd pick bowlers first. They'll help you win more games than batsmen could.

Banned
    While I appreciate the efforts of Dev, Gav and Kumble, I think for the sheer volume and prolific nature of his contributions, it has to be SRT.

Not sure how you could pick anyone bar Dev.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

it has to be sunil gavaskar. first for believing and then for demonstrating that an indian cricketer could be the best in the world in his discipline. of course, the famous indian cricketers before him, mankad, gupte, merchant and hazare received praises from the western cricket crtics. but they were seen as special talents coming from a colony learning its first steps in international sports. we've seen all those patronizing, stereotyping terms. "oriental" "wristy magic" "not one christian stroke" (on ranji) for decades.

gavaskar didnt need anyone to patronize him. he went about doing his business believing he was the best in the world. he didnt want to go the vishwanath or bedi way. stylish, graceful, but one rung below greatness. no. that wont do for him. sunil gavaskar brought bloody mindedness to indian cricket. he never shirked from a fight. never talked of defeat. never admitted anyone else was better than him in opening in test match cricket (post retirement he did speak highly of hobbs and hutton). he scored runs everywhere and against all the best bowlers in show. slowly, the appreciation turned into awe. acknowledgement of talent turned into respect.

and, boy, did he have an attitude!! if ganguly took off his shirt in lords, it was simply because he had seen another indian before him get away doing worse things. like threatening to throw off a match for an lbw decision he didnt agree/ grind the opposition down with every legitimate tactic available to avoid defeat/ turn the MCC membership down/ call Lords just another cricket ground/

with so many indians doing well in many different fields in this decade we tend to forget the days when the only living indians known outside the country were indira gandhi and sunil gavaskar.

kapil admitted to looking upto him for advice and guidance for a good part of his career. for making them believe indians could dominate fast bowling, he was the inspiration for amarnath, vengsarkar, shastri and, yes, dravid and sachin too.
    Last edited by bagapath; 11-02-2009 at 09:50 PM.

1. Tendulkar
    2. Gavaskar
    3. Kapil
    -------------------daylight-----------------
    4. Dravid
    5. Kumble

(of course not considering Merchant, Nissar and Amar Singh since this thread is about test cricketers...)
    Last edited by weldone; 12-02-2009 at 04:53 AM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Actually, does Ranji count?

If so, Ranji

I will go with Kumble like the guy a lot and he is one of my favorite bowlers ever.

If so, Ranji
    A wonderful player mate - but even if he did count, you consider 15 Tests and less than 1000 runs makes him a greater Test cricketer than Tendulkar/Gavaskar/Kapil Dev?
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

If so, Ranji
    he shouldnt coz he never played for india.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information