• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moores named Lancashire coach

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
As reported today on Cricinfo:

Cricinfo - Peter Moores appointed Lancashire coach

And as predicted 5 weeks ago by Mystic Zaremba:

I can't see anyone particularly caring, but where next for Peter Moores?

My prediction: he'll become coach at Lancashire (he comes from a place called Macclesfield which I'm led to believe is located somewhere in a larger place called The North).

My other prediction is that Lancashire will within 2 seasons under his leadership win the County Championship that's eluded them for the last 350 years.
OK, the last bit may be in the realms of the absurd, but the first part represents the first ever accurate cricket prediction that I've ever made, so I'm entitled to gloat.

Precambrian

Banned
Good one.

Hopefully Lancs get that elusive title in the year England gets back the Ashes.

:ph34r:

(2015?)

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As reported today on Cricinfo:

Cricinfo - Peter Moores appointed Lancashire coach

And as predicted 5 weeks ago by Mystic Zaremba:

OK, the last bit may be in the realms of the absurd, but the first part represents the first ever accurate cricket prediction that I've ever made, so I'm entitled to gloat.
As I am sure you are aware Mystic Zaremba no part of a correct prediction is severable - I and all Lancastrians are obliged to you for your timely intervention in the affairs of the Red Rose and when that pennant is hoisted above the OT pavilion in the next two years I for one shall not forget your contribution to the cause

Woodster

International Captain
Yes, I've just posted on the English Domestic thread my happiness at the appointment of Mr. Moores. Think he'll do an excellent job, and it may prompt one or two visits from myself in the summer to O.T. as I work in Manchester City Centre, so easy to get to.

The added bonus is watching two very competent overseas players, so hopefully in 2009 Lancs will be putting a few more big totals on the board.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yes, I've just posted on the English Domestic thread my happiness at the appointment of Mr. Moores. Think he'll do an excellent job, and it may prompt one or two visits from myself in the summer to O.T. as I work in Manchester City Centre, so easy to get to.

The added bonus is watching two very competent overseas players, so hopefully in 2009 Lancs will be putting a few more big totals on the board.
Read today that OT won't be hosting many Lancs matches. Liverpool hoping to get more - I certainly hope so

Woodster

International Captain
Read today that OT won't be hosting many Lancs matches. Liverpool hoping to get more - I certainly hope so
Isn't that in 2010 ? I know Old Trafford will be hosting all the County Champ games (and limited overs games), barring the home game against Hants in June. Think Liverpool have also got a Twenty20 match.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Should play a few games in Oldham tbh..

Probably been split between Blackpool and Liverpool. Though like GISM i heard Liverpool were after all the games

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Genuinely interested to see how he goes. My suspicion is, sans Mushie & Adams's captaincy, he might be exposed somewhat. Happy to be proved wrong as he seems a nice bloke, but remain to be convinced he's absolutely of the first water as a coach.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Genuinely interested to see how he goes. My suspicion is, sans Mushie & Adams's captaincy, he might be exposed somewhat. Happy to be proved wrong as he seems a nice bloke, but remain to be convinced he's absolutely of the first water as a coach.
He didn't cut it as England coach but I think has proved himself at county level where the skills are perhaps different: largely getting the most out of players who are a little below the top level.

He is lucky that Flintoff is a fan because he's obviously the biggest star at the county. Having Fred's respect may help him gain the respect of the other Lanky players too. The show-pony quotient at Lanky has reduced recently also which will help.

Overall he's exactly what Lanky need: a coach who will make them into a professional outfit with players who perform to their maximum ability. What an amazing improvement after Winker whose approach to strategy seemed limited to whingeing about the fact that it's sometimes a bit rainy in Manchester.

Of course, a part of me hopes I'm wrong about this! However in Mark Robinson we've been extremely lucky to find someone who's been capable of filling Moores' boots - he's another oustanding coach.

Woodster

International Captain
Of course, a part of me hopes I'm wrong about this! However in Mark Robinson we've been extremely lucky to find someone who's been capable of filling Moores' boots - he's another oustanding coach.
What are the main differences between Peter Moores Sussex and Mark Robinson's Sussex ?

p.s. I can assure you it is more than a little rainy here in Manchester!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am sure that Moores will be fine with the older guys and I am expecting that working with him will be a huge boost for the likes of Croft, Cross, Brown and Du Plessis

The fascinating prospect though is of him having the ability to transform Saj Mahmood into something worthy of the attention he had lavished on him in the early part of his career

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
What are the main differences between Peter Moores Sussex and Mark Robinson's Sussex ?

p.s. I can assure you it is more than a little rainy here in Manchester!
Robinson really continued where Moores left off. Moores had the job of turning Sussex from, frankly, a rabble into a professional outfit. Robinson helped Sussex to kick on from there.

Robinson was a Moores protege in that he played under him and then took over from him when he left. He has enormous respect for Moores and sought to mould his style on Moores'. The similarities are more striking than the differences between them. Both are keen on fitness, professionalism and (show ponies permitting) team unity.

Robbo is someone I respect hugely. He's an amazingly approachable and open guy. I could give you many examples of this. He is also fiercely protective of his players.

Woodster

International Captain
Robinson really continued where Moores left off. Moores had the job of turning Sussex from, frankly, a rabble into a professional outfit. Robinson helped Sussex to kick on from there.

Robinson was a Moores protege in that he played under him and then took over from him when he left. He has enormous respect for Moores and sought to mould his style on Moores'. The similarities are more striking than the differences between them. Both are keen on fitness, professionalism and (show ponies permitting) team unity.

Robbo is someone I respect hugely. He's an amazingly approachable and open guy. I could give you many examples of this. He is also fiercely protective of his players.
Yes I presumed his role would involve a certain amount of continuity, in terms of how Moores ran the side. There are certainly worse people for young aspiring coaches to learn from than Peter Moores.